Need help diagnosing '90 5.0 auto trans

It now takes alot more RPMS for the gears to shift than it normally does. Sometimes it won't shift at all. When taking off from a red light, it fist acted like it was in neutral then it acted like I'd just popped the clutch (it's an automatic trans. Once in a gear, I would say it doesn't slip. I had to cut short a trip tonite. I turned around and once it got into top gear it stayed there for 200 miles.

Some info that might help: I have a valve cover leak that is causing oil to accumulate under the engine and thereabouts. It was raining like heck and had been for the entire 400 mile roundtrip. Once when I put it in park, it whined until I shut it off. I would say that it has been a little slow in downshifting lately, but would not swear to it.

Thanks for any ideas. Rich

Reply to
Rich

To me, that sorta sounds like your TV cable is messed up. The TV cable is what controls the shift programming of the AOD trans, and if it's off you'll get early shifts, late shifts, soft shifts, and worst case it will ruin the trans. First thing I would do is check to see the the TV cable is still hooked up to the throttle lever on the bottom side of the throttle body. If that's good, go to

to make sure your cable is adustedcorrectly. If that doesn't solve the problem, there's a chance a piece of grimecould have clogged up some passages on your valve body. If none of that works, I'd say pretty much the only other thing it could beis a bad torque converter. I'm not really sure on how to check that, but anytransmission shop would be able to check it. Good luck! P.S. Also check to make sure your fluid level is correct

Reply to
KICKERSCRT