Need Options - Distributors

What's everyone's opinion of aftermarket -- MSD, Mallory, etc. -- distributors? After they worth the extra dollars over a stock replacement on a near stock 5-liter engine?

If so, what brand do you recommend?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Wish I could back my answer up but from what I've been told the stock distributor does just fine on a modded motor so on a near stock there should be no issues.

Nick

Reply to
ND

I would have to agree with Nick. Not much gain for the money. They do look nice, though.

Reply to
jonezzzman

Well, I've never really looked into them much but I can tell you what I did learn. I know someone with a 66 Mustang and a Mallory system and he's had what I consider more that his share of trouble with it. Two other unrelated people both said "Mallory is probably okay, but if you have trouble at the track you are only going to find people with spare parts for MSD. From what I've seen the MSD seems of better quality than Mallory. Now I have a Jacobs super coil and a Jacobs computer, only because I needed a coil and I wanted the anti-theft feature and nitrous controller from them. Back When I had my Charger, I talked to a big time Mopar engine builder and when I asked him about after market ignitions and he said in 30 years of building engines he's done a lot of testing and he never tested any coil or ignition that provided any more horsepower than the standard "chrome box" from Mopar Performance. On the same note after I got the Mustang, I've had several builders tell me that the stock 5.0 distributor is really good and there is no reason to change it for performance unless yours is broken.

If I bought a distributor today, it would likely be an MSD.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Short version of my reply was the same. All the experts and "experts" that I have talked to over the years said there's no reason to replace the stock distributor on a 5.0 unless it's defective.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Reply to
scott

One of the screw holes that secure the ignition module are stripped, and Locktit didn't help, so I need to replace my distributor. Due to the advice given here, I ordered a stock replacement unit.

Anyone want to share tips on how to install the new one?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Yeah, I've gotten to where I always take a healthy dose of Valerian root before I start working on any car...

Reply to
WindsorFo

Before removing the old distributor, I would suggest lining up the rotor with cylinder 1. If your not sure of the cylinder numbers and firing order, check your manual. Also, remember that the crankshaft turns 2 times for every 1 revolution of the distributor, so you can't simply line up to TDC. And, move only 1 wire at a time or mark them. Install the new distributor/rotor as close to the same position as the old. The rotor turns slightly as you push it in. Double check the firing order with your manual and remember that the rotor goes counter clockwise. At least they used to. I believe they still do. Before you start the engine double-check the wires again. You may already know all this stuff, but I hope this helps.

One time, I replaced the wires on a 289 in my 68 mustang by removing all of them thinking that I knew what I was doing and I knew the firing order. Well, I installed them with a clockwise firing order. When I tried to start it, it sounded like a shot gun right next to me. Luckily I didn't damage the engine or mufflers. At least, not that I know of.

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman