Need Quiet Exhaust for GT

I would like to change out the stock headers and exhaust system on my convertable 2003 GT 4.6 Mustang. Problem is that it's a convertible and I do not wish to increase the noise level. Is there a way to add headers and higher performance exhaust and have really quiet mufflers? Thanks!

Reply to
Dr. Haewoo

Not really. The biggest restriction in the exhaust system of your Stang is the midpipe with its multiple catalytic converters. Mine had

6, yours may have either 4 or 6. The best you can hope for if you want to increase your exhaust flow and maintain something that's semi-quiet is a high-flow catted midpipe and chambered mufflers. Check out
you'll probably get some goodideas there.

Good Luck!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Don't bother, other than the headers, which could use improvement, your exhaust system is just fine. Open chamber or low restriction mufflers increase dB not hp. More often than not these noise makers wind up costing you power in the form of lost low end torque.

Reply to
Ironrod

ROFL Where did you purchase that info? I have first and secondhand experience that an X pipe and Flomaster and/of Dynomax mufflers do increase horsepower over stock.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I'm not sure if you intended to reply to me or to the original poster so I'll just say this:

I have definitive proof from my car on a dyno that clearly shows otherwise particularly when changing the mid-pipe. I recommend you do a little more research before giving advice such as this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Reply to
Mr. Ford

As I'm more of a "Motor Head" I need advice concerning a scratch on my 2002 GT I have a small 1" scratch on the drivers side rear quarter panel. My finish is Oxford White "Clear Coat" The scratch is faint. Is there a safe way to remove it?

Reply to
Mr. Ford

No, it is NOT neglegable either. I changed my exhaust long before I changed the throttlebody, you are; incorrect.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Start a new thread w/ this post. You're likely to get more readers.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

HP=Torque/5252. As such hp is a function of torque and as you will notice by the equation hp always equals torque at 5252 rpm. My post is correct, although I should have stated in the original "any hp increase comes at the expense of low end torque" If dramatic power increases were possible with just a simple change in the pipes then the auto manufacturer would have already done it. Oh, by the way most of my information comes right out of the gear head magazines I'm addicted to reading and real world experience of having once bought into the hype only to find out that was just wasting money.

1988 Mustang GT original owner (233300 miles) 2 1/2 Flowmasters ( removed because they were too loud and the car couldn't pull) 2 1/2 Turbos (also removed because the car couldn't pull) 2 1/4 Midias application specific turbos (still under the car because the car now pulls like a mule and my mileage is great) Cobra fuel system SSBC brakes GW subframes JBA shock tower braces FMS rear police control arms

Reply to
Ironrod

Not entirely true... look at 03/04 SVT Cobra's... open up the exhaust & whamo.

Oh, by the way most of my information comes right out of

Reply to
<memset

That's all well and good... but not necessarily what I was taking exception to. Specifically, I was referring to this statement as posted by you:

Perhaps you should have been even more specific and confined your statements ONLY to mufflers. Reading magazines is fine but in this case I have specific and definitive data from a rear-wheel dyno on my SOHC car that clearly shows you're wrong in saying "other than the headers, which could use improvement, your exhaust system is just fine".

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Hey Tom - Do you recall how much it cost to buy and install the 2K heads and intake? Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scotter

What are your new numbers, and where is the new torque peak at.

Reply to
Ironrod