new bullitt movie, ugh

from cinescape.com note:good movie site but i got adware virus warnings just now

The director of TROY will remake the classic Steve McQueen actioner BULLITT for the 21st century. Wolfgang Petersen and his business partner Diana Rathburn will produce the new BULLITT for Warner Bros., based on a script to be written by Cynthia Mort. The McQueen family will also be involved on the new film and the late actor's son, Chad McQueen, will bear the title of co-producer on the movie.

While the original 1968 BULLITT was based on a novel by Robert L. Pike, Petersen's version will instead retain the central character, a tough-as-nails detective named Frank Bullitt, but feature a new plot. In fact, the director told Variety that his film is not about "remaking a film or repeating a plot, it is about reviving a great character."

Reply to
Jack Napier

wow, cool! Petersen is tops as a director, and I'm sure it will be a great movie.

FYI, next time you watch the original, count the number of times Steve McQueen upshifts in the chase scene. Apparently they had a 10-speed transmission in that car :) Also, keep your eyes out for a green VW that seems to be in almost every scene of the chase

Reply to
vince garcia

Sounds like another horrendous revival like the recent Gone in Sixty Seconds. Yet another feeble attempt at recreating the magic of a classic original movie. I will not hold my breath...

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

I agree,why the hell can't they just leave the classics as classics instead of slaughtering them in the popular modern way.They can't come up with their own ideas so they have to live off past glories.The film industry needs to get over themselves.

Andrew

Reply to
me

Don't forget to count the hubcaps, too. That volkswagen's not only in every scene, it's the same street. They just keep showing the same street over and over.

Reply to
Joe

-------------------------

Yeah, too bad. It's a shame. It could be done right if they wanted. The new Gone in 60 Seconds was pretty pathetic, I've seen better car chase footage in other modern movies that had nothing to do with cars... you'd think they would have gotten some real car chase "authorities" to help out and do things right. Gee, when they did Lord Of The Rings, they painstakingly recreated the characters and scenery to be exactly like the books, etc, supposedly every last detail was dead on (at least according to a documentary I saw)... a great deal of time and research was spent on doing it "right"... it would be nice if the new Bullitt movie was also done in this same way, with special attention to the car chase... sure hope there are no cheesy ultra unrealistic scenes like in most modern movie car chases... the ony way to do it right is to really run those cars hard and just film it (like in the original), no cheesy effects or other balony, just real "break-neck" driving. Instead of paying special effects guys lots of money to cheese everything out, just pay some serious stunt drivers to really drive hard.

So, what cars do you think they should use in the new Bullit movie? They could use the same `68 Charger and Mustang as in the original movie if they want to retain the vintage vibe... or they could use perhaps the recent Mustang "Bullitt"... or, a 2005 Mustang would actually be cool since it looks very much like the original car in the movie. But what about on the Mopar end? I did see a picture somewhere online of what might turn out to be the new 2006 Charger... not sure when it will be available... looked cool, kinda like a Viper mated with an Intrepid or something and had some styling hints of the old Chargers. If not that, what other recent Mopar would be appropriate for the movie?

Reply to
Ned

Another plus is that you will see the original movie lots of times on the regular networks.

Rein

Why "ugh"? This could be a great movie or a lousy one. All the press release says is that they're making a detective movie featuring a Frank Bullitt character as the lead detective. So he'll be a quiet, strong, world-weary type who's not afraid to ventilate a bad guy with a few rounds as needed. He'll be based in San Francisco. He'll almost certainly be driving a green Mustang. And he'll almost certainly be chasing some bad guys with that Mustang, up and down the hills of SF.

What's not to like so far? A script written by a woman, that's a possible problem. The casting of the lead will make or break it. Don't laugh, I like Mark Walberg. Bruce Willis would have been perfect ten years ago, but he's too old now. And if they do a bunch of that 2 Fast 2 Furious CGI stuff, that will suck immensely.

Memo to the producers: NO NITROUS BUTTONS!!!

Whatever. I'm looking forward to it.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Gone in 60 Seconds, Vanishing Point, et al. They LOVE ruining the memories of those who saw the original GREAT films with swill. Filled with smart-assed

2000's punks you would rather see DIE than set foot in a muscle car.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Well it looks like you're the only one who is !!

Andrew

Reply to
me

"Ned" wrote

I'll bet the ranch they'll go with a green '05 GT for Lt. Bullitt.

As for the bad guys, the long-rumored new Charger is not going to be ready in time (if at all). If I were "casting" the motor pool, I would try to duplicte the vibe that the assassins in the original movie conveyed with their choice of a big block Charger. Menacing looks, big and brutal, a little sophisticated, gets the job done. The last-gen BMW M5 -- in black of course -- would have been perfect. But the new model is too goofy looking, and I don't think there's a an M version out yet.

My choice then would be the Cadillac CTS-V. Do it up with some

2-chamber Flowmasters and you'd have the same bellow as that '68 Charger. Same Yankee audacity, but refined.

Choice #2 would be one of those 470 horsepower M-B E-55's, which of course could lay waste to any muscle car ever built. The problem is they're so low key, who would know it?

The other problem is that either one -- the Caddy or the Benz -- might be hard for a Stang to keep up with.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Pleease,anyone but her.She had her chance in Gone in 60 Seconds,and she sucked big time.Plus she's ugly.

Andrew

Reply to
me

Hey, here's a thought. It's been 40 years since the original Bullitt, and Lt. Frank Bullitt has long since retired. His grandaughter and namesake, Francesca Bullitt ("Frankie"), played by Angelina Jolie, goes on a quest to restore both her grandfather's honor and his automobile after a sinister gangland plot puts her grandfather in his grave and taints his good name by implicating him in a drug-smuggling ring involving the importation of exotic automobiles as a cover. She finds both the Mustang (now sporting a supercharged 390 mill) and the evidence she needs under a dust-covered canvas in a barn in West Virginia, and then begins a high-speed cross-country chase to return to San Fransisco, relentlessly pursued by a sinster black S55 AMG, with light comic relief provided by the recurring appearance of a natty green Citroen 500 at various points along the way, driven by CarrotTop.

I'm thinking, blockbuster. Actually, I'm thinking, Angelina Jolie nude shower scene, but what the heck. ;-D

Reply to
RayS

Unfortunately, there are one million dingbats out there who don't care about quality, and don't give a hoot about artistic integrity or creativity. The movie will probably make money just based on the buzz.

Reply to
Wheresthebabes?