New carb for 66 Mustang 289

I am thinking of purchasing a 4V Edelbrock carb. However, I am unsure of compatibility with my original equipment Mustang; described below:

1966 Mustang Coupe 289 Engine, 2V carb, electronic ignition (after market) Automatic Transmission Air ConditioningWould appreciate any info on the following issues:1. Which model Edelbrock carb would be appropriate if I am primarily interested in normal, everyday street driving and best possible mpg (500cfp, 600cfp, etc)?

  1. Besides general compatibility, I am concerned about the intake manifold (whether this would need to be replaced).

  2. Some Mustang owners have suggested that going from
2V to 4V could actually improve mpg in city driving; any comments on this?

  1. Since I have A/C, is variable idle control possible?

  2. Regardless of whether I make this change, I need to replace sparkplug wires and plugs, any recommendations on these? Thanks for any information.

Gary D. Admire

Reply to
gda

Edelbrock has the "Performer" for your application : )

Check out the Jegs or Summit catalogs (online), or practically any Classic Mustang parts vendor who handles more than straight restoration. In fact, go straight to

selectAuto Parts link. When you get there you can browse, download theircatalog, etc. Take a look at their carbs and matching intakemanifolds. You could even go Edelbrock EFI for your classic, whichwould be great for mpg, quick response, etc. Keep your foot out of it and the 4V level doesn't kick in. You're running, essentially, a 2V except when you kick it. That will help quite a bit.

As for plug wires, I'm running Ford Racing with Pertronix Ignitor II aftermarket. I think it's a matter of personal choice. I could have picked about anything, but I like the blue color. : )

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike