New Charger ad, more crap

I'm sorry, I reeeeeeeally must have missed something. Butt jewelry???

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Again; that isn't the point. You do realize that OCC actually paid the Discovery Channel to develop the series as part of an advertising scheme? Of course once it caught on it is the other way around now. What most of the custom bike builders build is pure butt jewelry and not even really designed to be ridden. One does not need a 25K paint job to have a sweet chop, matter of fact that is almost the anti-thesis of what a chopper is all about.

All "true" choppers are built in some guys garage using every day run of the mill hand tools, a decent aftermarket parts catalog and a little imagination. Take a look at some of the rides posted over in alt.binaries.pictures.motorcycles.harley that have been built by their riders. I'll post a bike of my bike that I did myself with the aid of a high-end Craftsmen tool kit.

Those who build their own ride enjoy the living hell out of the ride more then anyone who just plunked down a fist full of fifties.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

High end, high dollar $50K - $125K Custom bikes that certain folks with more money then sense pose on outside bars which were usually brought there on a trailer because it takes two weeks to clean that much chrome.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I got tired of American Choppers after watching about half a dozen shows. Too much of the banter seemed to be staged. I can get just as much from watching the last 10 minutes of each show when the bike is complete.

I don't think building a bike is all that tough. Building a high-end one can be expensive.

I know plenty of people that absolutely love riding their store bought bikes. I don't think building a bike yourself determines the amount of joy one receives from riding it. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Ahh! Like my Dodge eating, hemi squishing, Americun made rice burner... :P

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

That doesn't surprise me at all. Bully for you. Cute.

-=G

Reply to
Grumbler

"66 6F HCS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'm talking about the 4.6. It's almost the same size as the Caddy. I don't know that the 4.6 can do 500 with a "few tweaks".

Reply to
Joe

Yeah, it can get there with a decent tune, larger throttle body/intake before the throttle and a better flowing exhaust. You have to remember also that the '03-'04 Cobras were under rated from the factory. They made around 365-380 rwhp bone stock which equates to 430-450 hp at the crank (assuming 15% drive train losses). It really doesn't take much to get them above 475 rwhp even with the stock Roots blower.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

2004 Ford Mustang Mach-1.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Boy, has the "soon to be bankrupt" GM got a truck for you!

11,000lbs! Dwarfs the Humvee. 600ft/lbs of torque. 7mpg. Only $55k but $90 if fully decked out. And a civilian pick-up truck to boot!

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

"Joe" wrote

Well you can guarantee that the Caddy engine has more room for tweaking and would blow away the Ford 4.6 if you went all in on either one of them.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Well, Rich... I nearly set out to do some serious name calling. But, my little pea brain got so overwhelmed, I chickened out.

When Mrs. mechanic and I got together, I sold a 1958 Triumph Tiger to buy an engagement ring..... For years, I forgot the pleasures of "croozin'". 30 years later, I found a Yamaha vertical twin that I could pull cash out of my jeans to buy.... Two years later, I finally bought a Harley.. a lifelong dream. I get looked down upon because I don't wear Harley "duds"..... I'm a motorcyclist - not a poseur. And now some wiener living in a concrete canyon pretends to "know" me.

If I recall right, it is you with whatever degrees and some perceived knowledge that you seem to possess that asks me and those like me (I'm a grade 8 drop-out) for advice (in amongst those "the sky is falling" posts).

However.... there may be some truth in what you say.... Like other organs... the size doesn't matter... it's how you use it....

My Harley was 100% constructed in North America. While it woud be nice to have it built in Canada, at least it isn't the product of an Asian sweatshop an it will run, maintenance free, much longer than anything Italy can imagine producing.

Buy a bike... ride it for several years and then feel free to make comments. And I'll bet you didn't know there's a difference between a cruiser, a tourer and a penis enlarger (oops, I meant "sportbike").

Reply to
Jim Warman

I don't know about you but I look like a real dork in my little skid-lid....

But... I'm reminded of the old story about the guy that takes a girl home from the bar.... When he peels off his trowsers, he reveals a miniscule member. She asks "And who are you going to please with THAT?!?!"... To which he replies... "Me.".

I love the way my hat feels..... though I come from an era where helmets werenot required - that would be my first choice. Whenever I do get the chance to ride sans helmet, I lap it up...

Reply to
Jim Warman

That's why God made MP3 players..... It can't be explained to someone that hasn't experienced "it". I think that what you imagine to be the effect is not what happens. Even without the electronics, the noise(?) is negligible but the feeling of freedom is irreplaceable. I see much more on the bike than I ever could in a "cage".

I run a windshield on the highway... makes the ride less tiresome and gives some respite in cold temps. I ride in weather cold enough to force me to hold my hand against my (aircooled) cylinder heads for warmth.

For some, a motorcycle ride is a social statement... for others, it rates alongside breathing and eating....

Reply to
Jim Warman

AKA "penis enlarger"... My main ride is a Ford SuperCrew.... it's what suits my life-style.... How about some dipshit comment about that?

I don't need the assumption of power to make myself feel like a man.... OTOH, a trip to the racketball locker room may .... oh, never mind...

Reply to
Jim Warman

You gotta stop watching those Annette Funicello movies.

As I understand it, you live in Hogtown... a hotbed of liberalism if there ever was one. I can understand your cynicism as your stock broker/lawyer/white collar dork neighbour leaves his apartment... Not wearing his usual pinstripe and wingtips but, instead, wearing all the little gewgaws he purchased at the Harley "boutique". The buff, the fingerless goatskin gloves, the stonewashed denim jacket with the sleeves tastefully removed..... He makes his way from his hi-rise to the parking garage and throws his leg across his shiny steed. Once his machine is awakened, he guides it carefully to the electronic door. As the door follows it's tracks upward, he sees a single raindrop land a few scant feet in front of his throbbing symbol of power... and hastily retreats to the catacombs of the parking facility lest his trusty steed wind up with a water spot.

OTOH... I ride mine until I have to do "the tripod' because of the snow on the ground.... Whatever I am wearing at the time is good "biker duds"... My friends come over and chastise me for having a dirty bike (and often proceed to wash it for me). I could stereotype you just the same as you are trying to stereotype those of us that enjoy two-wheeling.....

I don't know what Mikey rides... I almost imagine a FatBoy or maybe even a Classic.... Our Harleys are built for cruising.... Nothing finer than driving our roads through the great boreal forest... stopping to feast on wild raspberries or saskatoons, watching deer browse along the right-of-way or seeing an eagle soaring on the breeze looking for dinner. It's a far cry from that air conditioned isolationism... the subwoofer trying vainly to alter our heart rythm in an effort to blot out the sounds of horns and sirens in the work-a-day bustle that is the lot of someone who dwells in canyons made of concrete and glass.

Yep, Richie... there's more to life than agonizing over who's going to die in what car and how gas prices are putting the squeeze on car payments.... Anyone can ride a bike.... but being a biker isn't a look, it isn't an image... it is a feeling.

"Only bikers know why a dog sticks his head out of the car window..." - source - unknown...

Reply to
Jim Warman

About the same point you stop making idiot, worthless and clueless posts in Usenet. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I look like a dork without my skid lid so it doesn't matter in my case.

My brother had two Harleys and I rode his spare up till he sold it recently. I don't ride that much. He lives in Indiana and the last time I was there they had no helmet law in effect. I opted to ride without one for the few days I was back and I must say it is quite addictive. Maybe not the smartest thing to do but it sure turns the riding experience up a notch or two.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

After all this time, we finally find a "commonality"...

Thinking about it, Richie needs the helmet... to protect him when the sky falls....

FWIW... without my helmet, I look like an old fat guy.... with my helmet, I look like an old fat guy on a bike.... go figure...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I suspect we just might find we are in agreement on much more than we know. If I were Canadian, I would probably live where you do and for the same reasons.

Rich is a variation of the guy that likes to listen to himself talk. He likes to read his own posts. It doesn't matter if they don't make sense to him or anyone else. ;)

The nice thing about being old fat guys on Harleys is that we have a lot of old fat guys on Harleys to blend in with.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE