New Cobra Owner needs some advice...

I am the very happy new owner of an '03 Cobra 10th Anniversary convertible. I moved up from a GT and I love the car. The additional power and great handling are a real treat.

Here's my question - I've never owned a "performance" car of this quality and haven't driven a stick in years. How do I treat this machine? I can figure out how to drive it "nicely", but how do I get a fast 0-60? How can I put it thru it's paces? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

hey congrats on your new ride - i made the same move from a 96 gt vert to an

03 cobra vert and i love it - i loved my gt but this is a completely different machine.

i take it your gt was not a manual. launching this beast takes some getting used to, nothing like the gt. only advice i can give is let it out like an aggressive stoplight launch to make sure you'll get traction and then just wind it out, shift around 6200. i get real bad wheel hop if i launch it wrong and i'm still getting used to it.

still havent taken it to the track, from what i hear nhra rules state verts need a rollbar under 13.99, (anybody have feedback on this?), but i dynoed it twice. the car seems to be getting stronger as it breaks in - 356/356 with 3500 miles, then 374/372 with 8800 miles. no mods yet.

best of luck with it!

anybody -i would like to know rollbar/rollcage information, such as drag race needs different specs than road course, etc?

convertible.

Reply to
Christopher Shea

I think the bumper sticker reads "Get in, sit down, shut up ...and HOLD ON"

If your car is brand new, break her in gently.. Then drive her a while and gradually get used to the performance of her. When I first went from my GT to my Cobra, I got on her hard in second a and she fishtailed big time.

The next thing I knew I was in the lane where opposing traffice usually is. Fortunately it was on a road where there weren't any other cars. My point is, if you learn how to drive her, a bit at a time, you will not wrap her around something solid. After that I decided to get to know her before I did anything else stupid. Yours will be that much more likely to get away from you.

Oh... by the way... Jeff.. new 03 Cobra owner.. YOU SUCK! *just the jealousy talking he he he* Congrats on your new baby.

Whatcha going to name her?

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top Mine's prettier than yours... Maybe not as faster (yet) ... but purtier! *wink*
SVTKate

Thanks for the advice! When do you use (or not use) traction control?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Humm... great question! I'll have to give that some thought!

Reply to
Jeff

oh yeah forgot -

i always turn it off, kinda like a reflex when i start the car.

if you leave it on, and you spin the wheels, the car will cut power and bog down

no bueno

=)

Reply to
Christopher Shea

Some ppl name their cars their wife/girlfriend's middle name.

Reply to
memsetpc

... what if you wanted to name her after your Mistress. Then if you said the wrong name during sex, you could get away with it LOL

Kate

| > > Whatcha going to name her? | > >

| > Humm... great question! I'll have to give that some thought! | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I dunno, Kate... if you call out your car's name during sex, your partner still won't be too happy. At least maybe you won't be giving away that you have another on the side, but they'd probably have quite an inferiority complex....

"Did you just call me by your car's name?"

I can imagine having to spend a few nights on the couch for a remark like that... lol

JS

Reply to
JS

A new high performance car takes some time to learn to drive well. Look in any late model bone yard, and you'll see what happens when folks don't respect the additional power. Take your time, and learn to drive it right. Push yourself and the car a little bit at a time and learn as you go. It's not like driving a toyota that is under powered and very forgiving. Be aware of how the car behaves under various conditions and circumstances. Fortunately it is an excellent car - well balanced and docile most of the time. Traction control will be very helpful to you during the learning process. When I finish my Cobra replica, it will be a 2300 pound car that makes nearly 600hp. It won't have power anything, or traction control of any kind. Although I've been driving performance cars and bikes for many years, I feel this car will be a challenge. I also plan on taking it to the track and letting a professional instructor teach me to drive it right. I'm old enough that my ego won't get in the way of common sense.

Reply to
.boB

Drive it like you stole it ! :>)

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

convertible.

Reply to
Katmandu

Well.. now ... why do you think I named my car Sugar ? You can call ANYONE Sugar and get away with it LOL I call my hubby Dick. Hmm.. now that I think of it, you can call any guy a dick... Oh hell, I have door panels to install, I bet get out of here while the gettin is good! just kiddin :)

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I had a friend in the USAF that was a body builder. His name was also Dick. We used to call him Big Dick! ;>)