New "Dukes of Hazzard" Movie

Possibly starring Britney Spears as "Daisy." I have one request; You Hollywood scumbags destroyed 169 1968 Dodge Chargers when you made the original series. How about using Ricers this time?

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

And hope Britney is killed off in shooting the movie inside a riceburner. Good riddance to bad music.

Helmut Roner

1988 GT
Reply to
HELMUT RONER

It'll never be the same. I used to love watching that show when I was little, I was upset when the cousins came in. It just wasn't the same without Bo and Luke. It might be worth watching, but I can't see myself liking it all that much. I guess i'll have to wait and see. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

From my "Betcha didn't know this" file:

If you can find it, rent (or buy) "Moonrunners". The movie was released twice, renamed for the second release, and they fooled me. I can't remember the original name.

In case any of you oldtimers remember "Thunder Road", "Moonrunners" was sort of a copy. Robert Mitchum's son, James Mitchum, played the stockcar racing cousin. (This is a nod to "Thunder Road" where James even had a small part although it starred his dad.) There was an "Uncle Jessie", a "Roscoe P. Coaltrain", and so on. (I think that the names were more authentic. For instance, instead of "Bo" and "Luke", it was "Bobby Lee" and "Jake". How much more Southern can you get than "Bobby Lee"?)

The series was loosely taken from the movie, but the movie was pretty good. For one thing, something that was only touched on briefly in the series (the first two episodes) was that the family made a living making and running moonshine, hence the ex-prison sentence of Bo and Luke (also quickly played down) and the reason that they couldn't handle firearms. In the movie, the dirt-track stockcar was named "Traveler" after General Lee's horse! Waylon Jennings did the songs and narration that is familier from the series as well as the movie.

There was no "Boss Hogg".

the reference to "Thunder Road".)
(Gee. Now I want to see it again!)

I have been using the TV series to underscore how damned "PC" everything has gotten. Can you imagine having a TV series today with a rebel flag prominently displayed and the frequent use of a "Dixie" horn? I strongly suspect that the movie industry will cave to correctness and rip all vestiges of Southernism from the story.

By the way, here is a link that I keep on my Proud Rebel website relating to what became of those chargers. In my city, there was one running around a few years ago that I assumed was a very good copy. I even heard a rumor that it was real. NOW, I believe it. This is a touching story even if it is about mopars.

Ron Hammon

Oh, by the way, just to make sure that no one is disappointed, the Charger was not in the movie. In fact, a more realistic moonshine running car was used, a cheap (disposable), four door sedan with a monster engine and a quick shot of paint to make it a "sleeper". I think of it when listening to "Copperhead Road".

Reply to
Ron Hammon

That is a great song, especially if you are talking of the Steve Earl version(I don't know of any other versions). Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

It is one of my favorites! I LOVE the way that it integrates bagpipes to illustrate the Celtic background of "hillbillys", in general, and 'Shiners, specifically. It reinforces the idea that "hillbillys" are more "gritty" and militaristic (volunteered for the army on my birthday... did two tours of duty in Vietnam), and reveals the simularity of weed and 'shine, rather than the usual antagonism between the smoking crowd and the drinking crowd. The hint that his granddaddy was responsible for killing revenuers, the "rumbling sound" of the blueprinted engine, the bluegrassy, plinking of the mandolin, God, I love the song.

Reply to
Ron Hammon

Maybe her and CHRISTINA SLUTALEIRA should get together......

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta