New Ford GT Cracks 200 mph!

Not shocking, but impressive nonetheless: The 2005 Ford GT is the fastest production Ford ever.

In early June at Italy's 13-kilometer Nardo test facility, development engineers ran the 550-hp GT to a terminal velocity of 205 mph. That speed was independently certified 38 years to the month after the original GT40 hit the traps on the Mulsanne Straight at 201 mph, becoming the first car to crack 200 at Le Mans en route to the first of its four straight wins in the 24 Hour.

The first GT40s were technically production cars, and homologated for street use just about everywhere.

Later, evolutionary racing models went faster than 201 (or 205) mph, but with their infamous high-speed, front-end lift, the originals were terrifying at those speeds. The 2005 GT benefits from four decades of aerodynamic development. While true to the original's look, the new GT has an advanced aerodynamics: an underbody tray and subtle front and side splitters, a small rear spoiler extension and venturi tunnels wrapped under the rear clip. "Speeds above 200 mph were remarkably uneventful, which is a very positive outcome," said Mark McGowan, the

2005 GT's vehicle dynamics supervisor and driver for the Nardo testing.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

What I want to know is when Ford is delivering your GT for all the PR you do for them? Do the rest of us get to take turns driving it?

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Alright, ignorant question coming up:

Is it not possible for someone to build a transmission that goes past 5th or 6th gear (8..9..10?) thus the ability to reach higher speeds? I know it wouldn't be practical for mass-production (can barely get away with doing 100mph on highways, let alone

200+). Just curious.

~Pauly

----===| Patrick |===---- /wrote:

Reply to
--= PauLy =--

car to go over a certain

True, but some cars are gear limited, for example the new Carrera GT. It does 205 mph and it has the power to go quicker, and the aerodynamics, but it runs out of gears.

Still, I think most people would consider 205 mph a reasonable top speed ...

Reply to
Sven

Which is exactly why I said "MOSTLY"!

Reply to
Steve Marshall

OK THEN!

: )

Reply to
Sven

Sorry! I forgot to add my smiley!! : )

Reply to
Steve Marshall

Bear in mind that in 1970, a Plymouth Superbird could hit 200mph out of the showroom for a grand total of $6000.

Reply to
Richard

Not a chance. The first full body car to eclipse 200 mph was indeed a Mopar wingies thingie, but it was in 700+ hp Nascar trim. The showroom version was pretty much done at 140.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

CobraJet,

They are, but even at my current rate of PR I've calculated I won't have the GT paid off until my 96th birthday. At which point, one drive in the GT will surely either kill me by way of a heart attack, or I'll shit myself to death. So, since I'll only be alive for one ride, no test drives. I'm doing the driving... wanna ride shotgun?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

There was a kid trying to tell me that his (borrowed) stock 6-speed T/A WS6 would do 70MPH in 1st gear, and that he had eyewitnesses (dumber than trees) to say so.

I agreed. It would do 70 in 1st. Once... if you downshifted to 1st. It probably wouldn't move again very soon.

JS

Reply to
JS

Since I've outlived my usefulness anyway, getting annihilated in a high-speed Ford doesn't sound all that bad.

But I think your getting screwed. For all the time you spend reading and posting new car info in this group, the OEM's should pool their commissions and buy you a new GT next week. It's the least they can do.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

I don't know what the 6-speeds have for 1st gear ratios, but the old close ratio Ford boxes have a 2.32 1st. Coupled with a 2.75 or 3.00 rear, 70 mph out of a hi-po engine might not be too hard. Never tried it, though.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Not in a million years.

The V12 Sunbeam was the first car to break 200 mph at Daytona in 1927. I have no idea what the first production car that could do 200 mph was though (maybe the ferrari F40?)

Reply to
Sven

Maybe out of an old-school hi-po that was designed to rev, and the gearing you describe. I'm pretty sure the 6-speed is somewhere around 2.70's first, with a 3.27 (or so) rear. The LS-6's redline is something like 5500 or 6k, and it would have overshot that boundary by somewhere around 4k by the time it hit 70.

My '97 Cobra's redline is 6800 and I've seen the tach up around 7200 a time or two, and I still wouldn't try to go 70 in first. I think it's done in the low 40's. I have seen 85 in second, however.

I'd like to see a car hit 70 in first... but not if it's gonna blow up in the process.

JS

Reply to
JS

I don't know; I'd pay 20 bucks to watch some guy grenade his LS-6.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

CobraJet wrote

Speaking of first gear top speeds, the January '04 Car & Driver comparison test of the $150,000 GT, vs. a $101,965 Porsche 911 GT3 and a $193,324 Ferrari Challenge Stradale, had this to say:

"Rocketing the GT to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds and to 150 in 16.9 (that's an incredible seven seconds quicker than the Porsche and the Ferrari) was a cinch. Unlike some other supercars that have hair-trigger clutches with monstrously heavy pedal efforts, the GT's clutch was as easy to operate as a Honda Accord's.

"It'll do burnouts until the tires disintegrate, but we found that gently spinning the tires at the launch with careful throttle modulation produced jack-rabbit starts. THE FERRARI AND THE PORSCHE BOTH REQUIRE AN UPSHIFT BEFORE 60 MPH, BUT THE FORD DOES NOT, which accounts for some of the huge sprint-time advantage.

"But Ford can use a tall first gear because the engine has an enormously wide power band."

Still, 70 mph in first might be pushing it.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

289/302 mills can easily turn 9000+ with commonly available parts. Let's put a blower on one of those.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet