New GTO To Soldier On

Note: Crossposted. Let's keep it civil, guys/girls!

News on the Mustang's only true competitor.

Reply to
Patrick

A friend of mine,a bid classic GTO fan feels a new GTO should be a more retro design and be more affordable. He feel s the current one should be renamed and marketed to younger buyers. I,m a Mopar man but own a 72 stang a feel the 05 Stang ROCKS! Fritz

Reply to
James Friedel

A friend of mine,a bid classic GTO fan feels a new GTO should be a more retro design and be more affordable. He feel s the current one should be renamed and marketed to younger buyers. I,m a Mopar man but own a 72 stang a feel the 05 Stang ROCKS! Fritz

Reply to
James Friedel

How 'bout the fact that the new GTO, while having impressive specs., lacks anything that can be remotely construed as edgy design. The 2005 GTO has a few changes that enhance it a bit, but damn if it's missing that aggressive edge that all (not just Pontiac) 70's muscle cars had.

I'd be more inclined to purchase a the Ford remake of the GT40 before I got an '04 (or '05) GTO.

I'm curious to see what power plant Ford cooks up to offset the LS2.

GLK9MM

Interesting comments and I agree with most of them especially the dealer attitude. When it was first introduced I asked the dealer in Long Beach, CA when would he be receiving them. The response "Give me a $500 deposit and I'll call you when one comes in and you can look at it but not drive it" That dealer today has about 6 in inventory. If I ever decided to buy one, it wouldn't be from him.

Reply to
Dave Combs

When they cancelled the Camaro and Firebird, how did those sales numbers compare with the GTO? :)

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

sure, but we don't need ugly cars no matter how much power they have. Face it, the current GTO is a failure. Almost right after they came on the market a local dealer was selling them for 2500 below invoice.

That's just not going to cut it.

sweet ? Perhaps you need to go get yourself some glasses. :-) It's going to take a hell of a lot more than a hood scoop and some exhaust plumbing to make this thing look good. I personally think it's a disgrace to the GTO name.

to a car that looks like an oversized cavalier ???? coooooooome on !

Gee, I wonder why.....

That seems to work these days so yeah, I Think it's not a bad idea.

With the current GTO I would say that that goal has been missed completely

Likely to happen.

Rein

At least there _is_ an '05 GTO. Too bad we can't say the same for the Cobra. BTW, where's Ford's 400/400 n/a motor?

Rein wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Pontiac

Reply to
Joe

At least there _is_ an '05 Mustang. Too bad we can't say the same for the Camaro. BTW, Ford doesn't need a 400/400 n/a motor. Why use a highly tweaked n/a 5.4L or larger motor when a Supercharged 4.6L easily makes 400/400?

The Cobra will be back, it's not like Ford made one every year any way.

Reply to
WraithCobra

"WraithCobra" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

True. But this thread's about the GTO.

So you're saying that Ford is content to play 2nd fiddle to the LS2?

As was pointed out in another thread, adding a blower increases complexity and cost. 400/400 n/a is certainly a better deal than

400/400 blown.

I certainly hope so. Don't get me wrong - I love Cobras, but they're simply not being made this coming year. In the meantime, the LS2 GTO is one helluva performer.

Joe

Not when a Supercharged 4.6L can easily put down 500/500 to the rear wheels. A stock Terminator is averaging almost 20 more horsepower than a stock Z06 now.

Not from my perspective, $1500 or so will get me another 200 horses. I don't see an n/a motor gaining anywhere near 100 horses for double that amount. Ford's been using superchargers for years without a major problem. I'd rather pay $4K on the sticker for a supercharger than double that later trying to add one.

In an ugly box. It doesn't matter what the GTO can offer if no one likes the style. And it's still less of a performer than the Cobra, unless you care about a quiet ride and comfortable seating for 4. It's been said over and over that the Cobra is not a regular production car, it's not made every year and if Ford skips a year it's no big deal. I don't see any Mustang fans jumping over to the GTO because of a one year lapse in Cobra production. But I do see many previous Camaro owners, that now own Cobra's, stating they'd never buy an ugly GTO.

Reply to
WraithCobra

The reason I did not buy an SS 'maro, TA, or GTO over the last four years is because of GM dealers.

I bought a Bullitt stang because I dug the whole retro thing and loved the movie. While I was waiting for the Bullitt to arrive after all the delays I went to a Chevy place in Denton, Texas and they would not let me drive one because it was 20 min. til they closed. I told them straight up I would just wait for the Bullitt after that, I told them I had cash in hand and left pretty angry. They called me for several days trying to get me back and saying they were sorry...I told them forget it. Hell, I got the Ford guys to knock a bunch of money off the Bullitt before it came in and they knocked more off when they got the HP info and how it would be reduced from the ads, they also let me drive anything on the lot. 20 mins til close anit that late...especially when they have a LARGE sales force...Im sure somebody wanted to make money that night...maybe not.

I had to sell the Bullitt because we were buying a house and my wife was in panic over bills...I broke even on it and told her I would be buying a new car ASAP and she was cool with it.

I went to a dealer in Lewisville, Texas and told them I wanted to drive an SS...was interested in the anniversery one. They would not let me drive it without a deposit and they had it marked up. I left.

Went to a Pontiac place, the yellow TA anny car was also marked up and they would not come off sticker on any TA because they were going to be the "last ones."

I held off on a new car and bought another old one...

Along comes the GTO...every dealer I came across in north Texas marked them up and were horrid to deal with. The big shot one that sells most of the GTO's in Dallas would sell it for sticker...big deal.

I bought an 04 Mach 1 for less than my Bullitt. Comp Orange stick car.

I got a wild hair and called about a GTO again almost six months later because a buddy of mine wanted to buy my Mach...I was going to lose about a grand over it but I still kind of wanted a GTO. The place that would sell them for sticker would still do it and everyone else would match that or still had a mark up...I blew it off.

All of a sudden a couple of months ago I get calls left and right from dealers trying to get me to buy a marked down GTO...sorry guys, no way.

I will stick with the Mach for now.

I could buy a Cobra and get a good deal I am sure when they return...or any special Mustang. The Ford dealers have all worked with me...the GM guys have mark ups and have treated me badly over the years. They drove me away.

Funny thing, one of the Chevy places has STI's, and I wanted to drive one around the time I was thinking of selling the Mach...gee, they would not let me drive it without money down. I went across the street, got in a Evo and drove it right by the sales manager and salesman at the Chevy place. They tried to call me for several days after that but I would not answer the phone. Messages said "hey, we see you are serious, come on back." Yeah, right.

Dodge guys were cool to me also...and one of the places has the same family name as the worst Chevy/Suburu place I have ever gone to...drove a STR 4 and one of those Viper tucks (way out of my range and the sales guys took me out in it just for fun).

BTW, I did not care for the EVO.

GM needs to get its dealers under control in one of the nations largest car markets...pure and simple.

Reply to
Merc 50

I have to agree with your impressions of GM dealers. I had been bringing my Firebird to a dealer in Santa Rosa CA, and got the hard sell about the GTOs as well. They went as far as to imply that my Firebird was a substandard POS, but the GTO hey, that's the BMW killer! Anywho, it was one of those "we'll only have a few on the lot, but we've got them on backorder already." Basically, if I even thought of buying one, I needed to put that precious deposit down to secure my one shot at it. ahem It's almost like they're saying, "buy it now, or you'll never drive one off our lot" It was the same thing with the puke yellow millenium Firebird.

~w~

Reply to
Weland

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Joe) wrote in :

Then why did YOU bring up the Cobra in a thread that's "about the GTO"?

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

but_I_dont_like snipped-for-privacy@wink-wink.nudge-nudge.com (Jim J) wrote in news:95AFC1997nunyasnowherecom@207.69.154.202:

This is a Mustang newsgroup isn't it? And a Cobra is a Mustang, eh?

Joe

and one ugly cavalier look-alike that handles like a wannabe sports sedan. You really don't think that adding some power and a few scoops will make it a top seller all of a sudden , do you ? It's going to go the way of the Camaro.. Dead. At least in the current (and 05) form.

Rein

Rein wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: mer.

Sed i disagree. I LIKE the way the GTO looks. I thought it too plain at first...but it kind grabs you. And the Cavalier never LOOKED bad, it just PERFORMED bad because it was a FWD econobox.

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner

Nico,

I even like the non-scooped '04 models. I keep seeing a yellow one running around my parts, and I think it looks DAMN good! I'd love to have a new Goat!

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I'd only want the LS2 version. ;)

Joe

Joe wrote in news:31cra9F3989dkU3 @individual.net:

ACtually, joe, ont he lot here at Suss GMC/Pontiac, there is a blown GTO (Supercharged) with 450HP :-)....and almost stock ont he outside...i was SOOO DROOLING!!!

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner