New Mustang Engine

I'm working on restoring a 67 mustang I picked up. Unfortunatly the engine is trashed beyond any hopes of rapair. So I'm considering putting in a rebuilt interceptor engine, or a 460 that has been bored out to

660. I'd like some input on what one you all think I should put in there. Ideally I'd like to keep a OE style engine, but since I have to put in a new one I decided to put in a bigger one. What do you all think?

Tony

Reply to
PlayTone

I think you need to kick the crap out of whoever told you that a 460 can be "bored out" to a 660, and tell me what you think an Interceptor engine is so I can make a snide comment about that, too.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

lol... you can be a dickhole sometimes (not to me), but damn you crack me up ;D.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

You have discovered the Internet persona known as CobraJet's reason for existence. Erich TS#4

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

What you are talking about isn't really considered restoring a car. This would require significant changes from what the stock design was an you would have a modified car, not a restored car.

If you want to avoid the massive amounts of work required to make the car work well with so much weight up front, consider using a late model 302 with a supercharger. You will still have a lot of work to do, but you will have a car that handles a lot better.

Reply to
Mark Jones

According to 180out, I'm a wussy these days. This of course allows you to speculate what CobraJet must have been like in the past.

In any case, I have little respect for the clueless who are so furiously engaged in two-fisted whacking fantasies that they are forced to type with their noses. Sorta like Honda owners who inherit Boss 429 Mustangs.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

"CobraJet" wrote

The OP didn't make sense anyways. "I want OEM" but then wants 660 CID. NOT!

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"CobraJet" wrote

ROTFLMFAO

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Wouldn't you think he heard some say .60 over and didn't really know what they meant? What would .60 over make a 460 anyways? 500 something?

Reply to
Scott VanNest

"Scott VanNest" wrote

500 something???? Come ON! Basic math! If you can't do that addition in your head...
Reply to
66 6F HCS

LOOOOL

Reply to
<memset

No, it's a 472. The point is, if you plan to dip into the hobby, the first thing you do is acquire reference material in some form and at least make the effort to appear like you know enough to turn a wrench. Attacking a restomod with zero knowledge is disaster waiting to happen. Unless you have a very big bank account.

For the record, the largest displacement a *good* production block (late 70's high-deck with sonic checking) will support is 557 inches or so (makes them 347's seem kinda dinky, huh?). At 600 inches and above, you need to be looking at the Ford $VO block and rotating assemblies. I've seen Kaase engine come out in the mid-700's, with Boss versions over 800 inches.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Except a dickhole is too small to be me. I have to be at least an asshole.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Jeez... shows what you guys know..... it's easy to punch a 460 out to 660, however (there's always a however, right?), the inside of the cylinder will now be bigger than the outside of the cylinder. Because of this we need to order some custom made rod and piston assemblies to fit this new ID (which is, by some trick of fate) now the OD. Be aware that there is a great amount of "wall slap" associated with these designs but I hear that there are several trolls living under a bridge near Mississauga working on a cure.

You can tell the difference between an interceptor engine and a non-interceptor engine by asking the grinning, cheeky bastuhd selling it to you..... he will answer that if it weren't an interceptor engine, the selling price would be much, much lower than what he's asking.

Good thing Tony wants to stay with an OE 385 series motor rather than installing some dorky FE block that probably wasn't available in '67 anyway.

Now.... if I could only get my tongue out of my cheek.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ahhh... I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Now time to throw some more napalm into the fire.

The engine I am referring to as the 460 bored out to a 660 is located here

There is a company here that sells these engines locally. I thought it would be kinda fun to have such a powerful engine in my mustang. As for the interceptor engine. It is the engine that is in my 1995 crown vic interceptor I currently am driving. The engine is a 4.6 liter, roughly 280 c.i. I believe, v8. Which I would place into the mustang as my crown viic has seen better days.

Now as to refurbishing. I understand most people take that as being restoring the vehicle to the way is shipped from the factory. That was my original plans with the car. Since I have to replace the engine anyway I figured I'd look into putting one of those 2 engines into it. Ideally I would like to put a 427 into the mustang, but they are few and far between around here. (Yes I know the 427 was not an option in the 67 mustang. It came out in 69 if I remember correctly and they stopped placing it in mustangs around 73.)

I also found out this evening that the tranny is junk too. So now I get to get a new one of those too. Good thing this is my project car.

Tony

Yes, I am gleefully waiting to hear what CobraJet will have to say to this here response.

Reply to
PlayTone

It can be done, but the width of the 4.6 engine is sure to have clearance problems with the shock towers (a 4.6 is as wide s a 429) - most people who do this swap take out the shock towers and replace the entire front suspension system to a Mustang II type system. You will also have to use the 4.6's computer and transmission, so a custom driveshaft will have to be made, and the wiring harness will have to be customized to work with the '67. I recently saw a '69 Mach 1 with a 2001 4.6 transplant. It looked good, but the owner told me that he put over 100 hours of time in the transplant, considering that he changed the suspension system, rewired the harness, made a custom exhaust system, modified the power steering system, custom made a driveshaft, deep-sixed the A/C system. The owner refused to tell me how much money he had in the swap, but he said that he had more in the transplant than some new cars cost. I believe him.

Stick with the sb engine. I'm restoring a '67 Convertible - there ain't a lot of room in the engine bay with those damned shock towers. You can buy a

302 or 5.0 dirt cheap, modify it anyway you want (carb vs. EFI, etc) and not have the fabrication issues. Just get a Summit Racing catalog and see the performace stuff you can get for a sb Ford engine - cams, intakes, carbs, pistons, ignition systems, headers, ect.

Not only can you get great preformance from a sb Ford engine, they weight less than a bb Ford, giving you better handling (vintage Mustangs are nortoriously nose heavy with tons of understeer - placing more weight at the front really makes handling a headache)

Unless the trans casing is cracked, rebuilding a C-4 is easy (for a transmission) - or you can buy a rebuilt one for a decent price.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Uhhhh, you would have to build a damn near full on race car to handle that kind of power. Oh yeah, you can forget about being street driven.

I considered doing something really sarcastic here, but I will be straight instead. There is nothing different about you 4.6 versus a normal 4.6 in a normal Crown Victoria. The interceptor package is more along the lines of heavy duty oil cooler, heavy duty transmission cooler, etc. The interceptor engine is a myth. The cost of putting that 4.6 into your 67 would be very high. Unless your are extremely good, you will need a professional body shop to perform the work.

A friend of mine is using a 302 with a supercharger in his 67 fastback. 439 horsepower to the rear wheels. Drives it all the time and makes passes down the track with it a couple of times a year. This is the route that would easiest and most economical is you are wanting lots of power and still save some money to make the CAR look good.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Oh God and they ask me why I drink.......

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

LOL

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I want some of whatever you're smoking. Seems like good shit.

Oh, you know that guy, too?

Don't know what an S-code is, do ya? And you call yerself a mikannik.

I have a rusty camshaft that'll take care of your tongue AND all of yer teeth. Just smile and say, "I'm a dead duck canuck".

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet