New mustang gt 05

Bought one of the first ones in the Memphis area. Torchred paint and all the extras. Rides like a dream. Even had the cops pull me over just to look at it. The only problem I have with it a clicking noise is coming from the engine. Taking it to the dealer and see whast the say.

Reply to
southernmustang05

Bullshit. Cops did not pull you over to look at your car.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

In the deep south, cops will pull you over for any reason; of course they always have a 'legal' reason for the stop. That is one reason that I moved out of the south.

One day back in 1980 I was driving my '72 Corvette thru a quaint little town called Bethune, SC; got the blue light special; the town cop told me that I wasn't from around there, and he wanted to introduce himself to me personally, very personally. I NEVER drove thru that town again!

Reply to
RowdyRebel

When I had first gotten my '04 Maxima there was an Officer directing traffic at a nonworking intersection light. He stopped traffic my direction came over to the car and asked what kind of a car it was, said it was really nice, and then let traffic go my direction.

-Nick '88 ASC Mclaren

Reply to
Nicholas D

You have never been to the Mid-South have you Mike?

Reply to
351CJ

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I got pulled over in the GT/CS by three different departments that overlapped in my area on several occasions. They always said they were checking out my *car*, but they were really checking out the driver. There were a lot of troublemakers with hot rods back there, and I was on the list.

"Nice Mustang, Mr. Jet."

"Sir, thank you, officer sir."

"Say, does that hood scoop impair your forward vision?"

"Only when my front wheels are off the ground, sir."

"Now don't get funny. Got anything you ain't supposed to have in your car?"

"Sir, another fine officer confiscated my hand grenades last week, so I'm down to a couple switchblades and a bottle of Jack Daniel's I just stole from the Green Jug. Uh, sir."

"Ok, you little shit. I'm gonna check this damn Mustang out until I find soemthing I can write you for."

"Get in line, peckerstretcher, sir."

"That does it. Get out and ASSume the position."

"Gosh, officer sir, should I drop trou now or you gonna wait till you sneak up on Fido after work, sir?

The moral? Always address an officer with "sir" and they will be really nice to you.

Reply to
CobraJet

NOW that's Comedy. It also sound like those fun-loving, justice-serving county mounties in South Carolina and Georgia.....

Reply to
RowdyRebel

I grew up in a very small Midwestern town where everybody knew each other and your parents. The local cops were the real pricks and the cool officers were the state troopers. The guy that pulled me over was a trooper and the first words out of his mouth was "You did nothing wrong I just wanted to have a look at your car". None of that phony BS to cover his ass. We spent about 15-20 minutes chewing the fat about his car and mine. It gave me a allot of respect for him and the troopers in general.

As for the local pricks, we would go out of our way to aggravate the shit out of them. All it took was to pull along side and when they looked at you just start laughing. They knew that we knew they were pricks and laughing at them just poured salt into the wound.

To illustate how low brow the local law enforcement officers were back then, the sheriff used to be a member of a scout troop my father led. My father told me a story about watching him suck the snot out of his baby sister's nose to clear her nasal cavity! Just telling the story sets off my gag reflex. Now how the hell could I have respect for a guy that has that in his past. In fact, his last name was Lucas which conveniently rhymes with mucus. Just imagine the joke potential.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Umm... he lives in Arkansas....

Kate

| > -Mike | >

| > -- | > A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT | > Cold air intake | > FRPP 3.73 gears | > Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter | > Full Boar turbo mufflers | > Hi-speed fan switch | > 255/60R-15 rear tires | > Subframe connectors | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Wound Up opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net:

Yeah we did.. but not just for what you think.

OnCops:

Yeah, they were pricks sometimes, they knew me and my car.. got a different one of same year and was arrested one block inside town limits first time I drove it for driving unreg'd vehicle.. then towed it when they said they wouldnt.

but often as not, would give older young'uns a break.

In my classic 57 belair 2drht {sigh} pi&&ed off at GF and 2 sheets to wind, scraped rubber wound to 6000 r's through 3 of 4 gears in shopping center parking lot then stopped by cop just as I pulled nicely onto the street after stopping to check traffic ( that made the difference)

Cop walked up to window then stepped back, fumes from beer worse than I thought... gave me a ticket for Improper Oper'n on private property and said "DO NOT PAY IT TONIGHT!!!!" ...warned he would dog me the rest of my life if I didnt drive straight home.

Right about the troopers... same in Ohio in the 50's 60's... but the real good guys were the county mounties.... more than once caught trespassing by deputies on park land drinking beer after midnight, or sneaking into pools, again with beer and girls. Or taking the girls to explore abandoned ("haunted") houses... this before they made a business/charity out of them. AND Turn on their lights a mile away when answering a drag racing complaint from a local farmer

Treated well, respectfully and we gave respect back to them... occasionally we would have a guy try to smart mouth but we'd take THAT guy out ourselves before he did damage.

Why were the deputies like that?

A classic conservative, small county sheriff who grew up there and treated the "black folks" with every bit, if not more respect, as anyone else, hired black deputies when the local towns didnt... didnt chase kids, expected them to do dumb things, overlooked the small bag of pot but chased dealers with a vengeance... didnt put up with any s%%T that was socially destructive.

On Muscle:

Yeah... those were the 'good old days"... graduate HS, get a job at GM and put in an order for a new CHebby 427, 440 magnum or Roadrunner... - for a GM area, and we about all worked there at one time or another, there were a LOT of Hemi's and Roadrunners.

Hardly ANY Fords except the odd Mustang.. mainly because they were relatively hard to get to compete on the street.

But we all had to deal with gas prices, then as now... and you could still spend 1/5 of your take-home on gas alone... and that seriously dented dating, beer and club funds.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Man. Talk about being actually human! Few, if any, will give you such a break now. I was in my bro-in-law's SS Camaro on a beer run a few years ago. He's in his mid 20s. I was sloshed, and he was ... borderline. He drove conservatively the whole way, did not speed, weave, and he lives in the boonies, so there was little traffic. But on a right turn on the highway into town, he lay down a gigantic, back-and-forth patch right in front of a local cop. The cop maintained a distance, and we thought it was fine. Got to the store, I came out, and he's having him blow for BAC right there in the lot. Bad timing. He blew a .12, and because he saw him control the car well, and it was still .10 at the time, we just had to call the women and be subjected to public humiliation. That was definitely an exception case.

Who didn't do that stuff? I'm sure they did.

Probably younger, remembering their own carousings and not wanting to humiliate you...

In my experience, there is something to be said for small-town cops, and big city cops as well. I've gotten busted by both, as a 15-year-old punk rock kid in Manhattan with a 40 and a bad attitude, "dump tha friggin beer and get the hell outta might sight, ya little idiots", and small-town cops "why do you insist on speeding on this road, next time, at least remember I'm here". You also knew who among them were the better drivers. The old guy who had the SS Chevelle, pull over, nothing doing. He used to road race. Younger guy with mustache, we used to outrun him, and BOY did he hate it. I think he was afraid of scratching his car. He was also too proud to admit we outran him, so he never pressed the issue. He loved to give chase. Maybe he was practicing, because I had 100 fewer horses to work with at the time.

My father-in-law worked at the Chrysler plant in that exact same situation, and got himself a brand-new 340 Duster 4sp. He still waxes poetic about it.

He used to say they would each pitch in $5 for a night's worth of gas and beer to ride around in the early 70s. As such, it still wasn't exactly cheap...

But the access to those cars you had, and the relative cost of a suitable replacement in a newer car? A newer Mach I costs how much? Or '03 Cobra? Forget about it... insurance, property tax, maintenance... no, thanks, vintage iron for me... I know a good number of people my age with good incomes who are "car poor" because of all the factors brought to bear with new cars... you have to pay property taxes on a LEASED vehicle in this State of Misery!

Reply to
Wound Up

Don't be jealous. You're living in the best performance car era ever... you just don't realize it yet. But kids 20 years your junior will in about 20 years.

They weren't that cheap back then or they would have sold thousands and thousands of those rare Hemi, LS6, Boss and Shelby cars, etc. Most people back then could only afford the plain 326, 327, 350, 302,

290, V8 cars. And most of the high performance models sold were only gross horsepower rated at 335, 300, 290, 350, etc.

The 60's cars got thrashed too. I remember them sporting big ugly side pipes, goofy hood scoops, fender flares, metal flake paints jobs, stupid N50 tires, and fog lights. Most were banged up, rusted out, chopped up and Bondoed.

Maybe some years from now when most of the Baby Boomers die off these car will return to "normal prices." But for now, what's the sense in owning a rare one? What are you going to do with it? Can't really drive for fear something will happen to it and you'll lose your "investment". So basically, you're nothing more than a curator. That might be cool for some, but I want a car I can drive, every day if I please.

I'd love to have one of those! Especially an STi version.

And we have it better.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I don't want to redirect this chatter. But, What was the clicking noise?

Reply to
Billstein