New Mustang selling big

From cnnmoney.com;

Ford boosts Mustang production After announcing the Thunderbird's retirement, the automaker to increase another icon's output. March 17, 2005: 10:52 AM EST NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Ford Motor Co. announced Thursday that it will boost production of the new Mustang by 70 percent this year in response to rising sales.

The automaker said it will increase Mustang production to 192,000 in

2005, from 112,000 in 2004.

"We're planning to increase production well beyond what was initially planned. This will allow us to sell 160,000 - 165,000 Mustangs in the U.S. this year," Steve Lyons, Ford Division president, said in a statement.

In the U.S. market, Mustang sales are up more than 45 percent on a retail basis over last year, boosted by sales of the convertible model, according to the company.

"Ford Mustang is the hottest car in the industry, and its performance on the street and in the showrooms is beating everyone's expectations," Lyons said in the statement.

More than 8 million Mustangs have been sold in the 41 years since its introduction. The 1 millionth Mustang was sold by March 1966.

Last week, Ford announced plans to halt production of its Thunderbird sports car after the current model year ends production in July. Top of page

Reply to
RichA

Michael Johnson, PE

I'm wondering who in their right mind would consider the Charger and Mustang to be competitive with each other? The GTO has apparently increased the pace of it's sales since the power increase though.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

What other car do you think DC will look to take a chunk of market share from should a Charger become reality? It won't be the Corvette. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

What's the Charger expected to cost? That'll play a big part in who gets what part of the market share.

Joe

Chysler seems to be in love with the $40k figure for their Hemi cars and trucks.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

RichA wrote in news:lsck31hrcv8np8ciapcu4av7snunqssea0 @4ax.com:

things

Rich, what are you smokin'? Try subtracting 10 grand from that.

Joe

"Joe" wrote

That, and it's a butt ugly 4-door.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I say $28k-$30k for a base model and $34k-$36k for a loaded one. Any more than this and it will take sales away from the hopped up 300.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

It definitely needs to lose two of those doors.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:10:54 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Without a doubt if it is to be called & considered a Charger! The only thing I can think of is that they are trying to go after the original owners who may now be looking at Luxury Barges with a little power. Granddaddy Gearhead needs to get the grand kiddies in the back.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:woKdnd9basbj snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

> [...]

market

Well, the Magnum RT (Hemi) starts at around $31k, and you can get a Ram 1500 with a Hemi for under $21k. The 300C (Hemi) starts at around $34k, and the SRT8 goes for $42k and change.

Reply to
Joe

Targeting affluent males making $65k-$90k a year is a mistake IMO. Sounds like they shouldn't even use the Charger name as the original car was a muscle car for those on a budget. IIRC, there were very affordable stripped down models that sold quite well in the late sixties.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Joe =A0 Mar 18, 6:50=A0am =A0 =A0 show options Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang From: Joe - Find messages by this author Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:50:03 GMT Local: Fri,Mar 18 20056:50=A0am Subject: Re: New Mustang selling big Reply |Reply to Author| Forward| Print| Individual Message| Show original| Report Abuse Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Mar 25, 6:50=A0am).

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:woKdnd9basbj snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

news:lsck31hrcv8np8ciapcu4av7s nunqssea0 >> @4ax.com:

when >>>>>>>Detroit produces a quality car that gives the public what it >>>>>>>desires decent sales volume will follow.

Charger and Mustang >>>>>>to be competitive with each other? >>>>>>The GTO has apparently increased the pace >>>>>>of it's sales since the power increase though. >>>>>>-Rich

who >>>>gets what part of the market share.

cars and trucks. >>>-Rich

Any > more than this and it will take sales away from the hopped up

300. Well, the Magnum RT (Hemi) starts at around $31k, and you can get a Ram 1500 with a Hemi for under $21k. =A0The 300C (Hemi) starts at around $34k, and the SRT8 goes for $42k and change.
Reply to
one80out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1111166896.040868.204890 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

looking

borrowing

upmarket

I got the drift with the new Charger "stealing" the old Charger's heritage, but that's one of the things DC is depending on to push sales.

I also got the whole 2-door/4-door thing about MB and BMW with their wonderful 2-door cars, but my point wasn't specifically about the Charger. I still wonder why people will write off a hi-po car because of the number of doors it has. To me, it's simple closed-mindedness.

Joe

I don't write it off I just think it would make for a killer looking two door coupe. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Michael, I wasn't referring to your comments - just some others.

At any rate, I just got back from the Fort Lauderdale car show, and I saw the Charger Daytona in person. As I'd hoped, it looks 1000% better in person. I also learned a few things about it at the show.

The top of the line Daytona Hemi will go for around $40k; the base 6- cylinder Charger will be in the mid-20s. The Charger, Magnum, and 300 all share the same platform and basic layout. Of course, the 300 is Chrysler's upscale offering, but one can think of the Charger and Magnum as the sedan and wagon version of the same basic car.

According to the Dodge rep at the show, the Charger is the replacement for the Intrepid, which explains why the car is a 4-door. It's certainly not designed to go up against the Mustang. When you think of the Charger in that light, it not only makes perfect sense, it's a plus that it's RWD and is available with a Hemi.

Joe

Sorry, I'm still thinking in 2002 Canadian dollars which were worth

40% less than U.S. dollars. Trouble is, our dollar is now within 20% of the U.S. and Canadian car dealers are still charging high ticket prices.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

I guess, from my point of view, if I'm looking for a sports car or a sporty car, I'm not looking to 4 doors. I don't particularly care for more than one passenger in my toy car.

I also don't feel that most 4-door cars look as good as their 2-door bretheren, nor do 4-door cars have the same sporty look that the same car could have if made as a 2-door. It might just be my personal opinion, and while I know the car has balls o'plenty, it just doesn't catch my eye.

I like a lot of DC's new stuff, but I don't like any of the pictures I've seen of the Charger. I think what the biggest gripe is that it's nothing like its namesake. It looks like it would be more at home wearing simulated wood panels on the doors than racing sponsorship stickers, but that's also my opinion. The GTO's sales are low even with more power than the Mustang because the car just doesn't turn heads. I fear the Charger may fall into the same fate.

For another side of the argument, look at the Marauder. Big car, really cool, but not quite enough power and/or too heavy, and too costly for the average enthusiast. Great idea, but only a select few want that car, and Ford's wonderful marketing didn't put the information into their hands. Pappy won't shell out the cash, speed freaks want something smaller/lighter, soccer moms don't care about the power.

As for the BMW/MB 4-door argument.... I still think that a majority of their cars manage to hold a sporty aerodynamic shape to them even with 4 doors. They do make some killer 2-door (and 2-seater) cars, but even the mid '90s

4-door 3-series BMWs had a swept, smooth shape to them. On some cars, the rear doors look like an afterthought.

All that said, I'd still just rather have two doors, at least until I get married and have kids.

JS

Reply to
JS

"JS" wrote in news:ojQ_d.8464$qN3.399@trndny01:

That's perfectly understandable and reasonable. Some people just prefer 2 doors.

Again, no problem. It's all taste. My query was regarding those who dismiss a car as "bad" (for lack of a better term) due to the number of doors it has.

Me neither. Most of the pix I've seen really sucked. However, I saw it in person last night and it is striking. I think it'll look great out on the road.

I agree. But DC readily admits that the name is being used to draw in potential customers. The car was never meant to be a "re-issue" of the '60s Charger - it's actually meant to be the Intrepid's replacement.

I saw a GTO last night right after looking at the Charger, and there's no comparison in the looks department. The GTO looks like an oversized jellybean.

Marketing is the difference IMO. Ford/LM's was non-existent for the Marauder; DC's is in your face with the Charger Daytona. But the difference with the Charger is that the Daytona is just an option package - it's not being marketed as an entirely different car as the Marauder was.

Entirely understandable. I'll tell you though - I went into the auto show last night wanting to understand why the Charger was a 4-door. I came away with an entirely different perspective for the better:

First and foremost, the Charger is the Intrepid's replacement. In so many words, it's Dodge's version of the 300. It's also the "car" version of the Magnum wagon. All three share the same platform. When you think of the Charger in that light, it makes perfect sense that DC would build a "hi-po" version with a Hemi. The Magnum and 300 can be had with a Hemi, so why not a Charger?

Joe