New shifter install

Thinking about upgrading the shifter on my '03 GT vert. How involved is the procedure? I'm fairly handy, but would not consider yself to be an auto mechanic.

Also Any recomendations on a shifter? I've heard som after market shifters can transmitt some additional noise into the cabin. I'd like one that's as quiet as possible.

Thanks!

Reply to
mustangjoe
  1. It's a piece of cake. Should cone with easy instructions.
  2. Steeda TriAx
  3. You can add a small insulator (thin piece of rubber) if it bugs you, but the noise is only noticable for the first run therough the gears. After than you won't care a bit!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Its pretty trivial, pop off the trim piece, then its 4 bolts with a ratchet, and pull it out.

Reply to
japhar81

Here's a link that will help you....

Gumby '04GT

Reply to
Gumby

involved is

market

Reply to
mustangjoe

short throw is fine... my girlfriend is 5'1 and she reaches it with no problems.

Reply to
japhar81

I'm only 5'5" and have little short arms. The shorter works fine for me.

I did put a little more extended knob on mine, as you can see from the first photo.

Kate

| > Gumby | > '04GT | >

Reply to
SVTKate

Imho, the best shifter on the market right now is the MGW:

It's the same price as the others but it several dandy features and is really quiet. Furthermore, the nice folks at MGW are simply great to deal with. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and I love it.

Dan

2003 SVT Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
dwtalso

Get the Steeda tri-ax and a gasket to put between the shifter and the transmission. This GREATLY reduces the noise. You won't believe how much better the car will shift with the Tri-ax. And, yes, you CAN do it yourself. It's easy.

Rein

Okay that's just disgusting! All you SN95 owners should have to thange one on a Fox once!

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Nyaaa Nyaaa Nyaaa Nyaaaaaaa naa naaa

| > Gumby | > '04GT | >

| | Okay that's just disgusting! All you SN95 owners should have to | thange one on a Fox once! | | -- | 2.3Sleeper: "Anyone know how to disable the daytime | running lights on a 2001 Crown Vic or on a 2002 GMC?" | | SVTKate: "A ball peen hammer?"

Reply to
SVTKate

I'd rather change one on a Fox. In the '97, I could *barely* get at the front bolts for the boot with a combo wrench and could only get 1/16th of a turn on it, and they're machine threaded... so it took forever to get them out. In the Fox, I think there's enough room after getting the boot off to at least get a ratchet on the damn thing.

Actually, come to think of it, I pulled a Tri-Ax off of my old '90 LX 5.0 convertable to put on my '97 Cobra 10 minutes later. The LX felt shamed... or maybe it was the rides with the top down and the dog slobbering on the dash that did it.

JS

Reply to
JS

Having the right tools is all the work here. An extension with a joint in it will help a lot. That or a short extension. Just take your time, it's easy.

Rein