new 'stang - Italian transmissions?

where have I been.....when did this start?

the '05 'stangs I've been drooling on have "County of Origin" stickers......County of Origin is Italy for the automatic trans - both

6s and GTs.

WTF? has this been going on for a while? is it a Ford unit (what the heck does FoMoCo built in Italy) or an outsourced unit?

Italy? ITALY?

JC

Reply to
yahoo xxxchangeit

yahoo xxxchangeit opined in news:3857-41AD0789-527@storefull-

3258.bay.webtv.net:

So?

Aint like it's France... or Spain. ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

re: "ain't like it's France......"

you've got that right.

just that I don't think of Italian cars being known for automatic transmissions. I had a big Alfa once that had a ZF 5-speed. But I would think that few Italian cars would have automatics (as we know them in domestic cars, as opposed to self-shifting manuals in new exotics).

will have to check the labels on other Ford rear-drivers (Vic-Marquis-Town Car-LS-TBird) and see where those trans are made.

Reply to
yahoo xxxchangeit

If the transmissions come from Italy, it's from a Ford plant in Italy. Ford is big in Europe and around the World. If not already, it won't be long before parts are sourced from China and 3rd World countries. In a cost based World, parts will come from where they can be made cheapest.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

The 1996 Cobra was the first Mustang to use the 4.6-liter, double overhead cam, four-valve V8. The engine was heavily modified from the Lincoln version.

The Cobra's aluminum block and heads were cast by Teksid, an Italian company that also casts components for Ferrari road and Formula One cars as well as other high-performance cars. Cast in Carmagnola, Italy, the Block uses cast-in ribbing for structural strength and to lessen vibrations. The cylinder bores have iron liners, and the engine's bottom end has been enhanced with a "deep skirt" meaning the bottom edge of the block extends well below the crankshaft's centerline, which also allows for a superior mating surface with the transmission.

The crankshaft was forged by Gerlach-Werke in Homburg/Saar, Germany, and was then machined and balanced at Ford's Windsor, Ontario, Canada engine plant.

Reply to
winze

Well the timing belts for the old 2.3's are from Italy so what's the big deal? Car parts are made all over the place, is this new or something?

StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

This may be OT - but I went on a test drive in a new Freestyle. The automatic in that car-truck-thing doesn't shift! It constantly adjusts the gear ratio - it was astounding. I was in the back seat. I wish I was driving.They call it a CVT - Continously Variable Transmission.

I wonder if it will be reliable?

Reply to
mortguffman

Some european company had that out a few years ago. Can't recall if it was Audi, Porsche, whoever... It works on the same basic principal as a snow mobile clutch, though it uses a chain belt instead of a rubber belt. Might not be the same thing but it sounds just like it.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

weird, is it still a tremec (in the GT at least)?

Rein

at 01 Dec 2004, [ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It oughta be. been around for decades. It's based on the van Doorne Automobiel Fabrieken (DAF) 'Variomatic' used in the DAF brand cars. DAF cars got taken over by Volvo/Mitsubishi about 10 years back which explains how Ford got hold of it. They actually offer it in Europe for at least the last 5 years in their smaller cars. DAF trucks is now owned by Paccar, also known for it's Kenworth and Freightliner brands. Anybody see the new line of freightliner panel vans? Those are based on a line DAF makes. :-)

The old variomatic used rubber belts which needed replacement regularly as they tended to stretch. The CVT uses a metal kind of belt/chain design which is far more durable/reliable. I don't know if the CVT does it, but the old variomatic used to be able to go as fast in reverse as it did in forward. Which is why in Holland they have/had races with people driving their DAF cars in reverse on the racetrack. Quite popular as well.

How do I know? DAF's factory is in the town I used to live in. For those who want to see what the cars looked like, they have the classic model and some others on

Paul

The Subaru Justy (ouch! it hurt just to type that!) used one several years ago.

My understanding is they are much more reliable now that they are using a stronger belt. I also understand that the CVT is limited to lower torque engines by design.

John

Reply to
John Del

Amazing how station wagons are starting to regain their popularity, isn't it? About time, too; this SUV fad is getting old.

Hopefully. :) The CVT is a wonderful concept, and done right it is great in practice as well. It allows the engine to maintain it's peak performance (torque or emissions) at all speeds.

has a lot of info.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Hey I remember those ! My grandfather used to own one. The damn thing always broke down. The transmissions weren't very reliable if I recall correctly.

hmm, I remember those as well.

yeah. I used to live in the frogland as well.

Rein

It would seem a heavy duty CVT would be the ultimate drag racing box. Pop the clutch, transmission controller holds RPM at the horsepower peak and your done. Assuming the mechanicals are efficient

Reply to
DriveSpy

Take a look at this November 30 story (linked from Blue Oval News):

Ford is going to have engines and transmissions built in Slovakia...

-Bill J.

95 GT
Reply to
Bill Jones

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 04:23:15 +0000, Paul rearranged some electrons to form:

Actually, D/C owns Freightliner...

Paccar owns KW and Peterbuilt.

David M (dmacchiarolo)

T/S 53 sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 15:34 1 user

Reply to
David M

at 04 Dec 2004, David M [ snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com] wrote in news:pan.2004.12.04.17.25.47.701408@sled351:

Oops! my bad, your right.