New to group and had a few ?'s

So, are you saying Ford engineering and building abilities are inferior to your own? How many cars have you designed, built & sold?

Having modified and bastardized damn near every aspect of a car that could be done, I offer my very sincere, experienced point of view with you best interest in mind, not mine. Many decades ago, when I was 16 and asked this "old" middle aged coworker whom had converted a automatic car to a manual transmission car for his assistance on my project doing the same, his response was quite frustrating to me. He said No he would NOT help me with the project, and that if I wanted a manual transmission car, I should buy a manual transmission car. (Keep in mind, they DID NOT sell kits for such things back then). I was upset and somewhat insulted by his reply and advise. I did that project, and eventually a second one too, and eventually learned, what he was trying to tell me in the first place, in retrospect, he was dead nuts on with his advise.

If you want a V-8 Mustang, buy one that came from the factory that way.

The acronym KISS really does apply here. The vast majority of backyard engineering can't hold a candle to Fords engineering.

Yes you could put an engine together, just how you want it, but why do that with an old body that will then need all new cooling system, suspension, transmission, rearend, fuel system (?), wheels, brakes, engine stands & mounts, exhaust system, etc, when you could simply build an engine to your liking, and put it right into a complete fully functional factory V-8 car?

Here is a prime example of what all of your blood, sweat and tears will amount to in the end, a highly bastardized car that isn't worth what the original unmolested one was.

Item number: 200049442135
I prefer to enjoy driving my cars/trucks, not chasing my tail attempting to reinvent the wheel. I have turned wrenches for a living for way too many years, I like many people, don't derive much pleasure from doing it in my off time. If you would prefer to avoid reality & continue living in your bubble, have at it and good luck.

Besides, your analogy is a little off, working your ass off, saving your hard earned money and buying the car you want is not having it given to you...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

agreed, too may things have to match up, size of driveshaft, how do you put a carb on a 5.0 with computer? What heads wo injectors ? you could work on it for a year and still not work, or just buy a whole 5.0 for $2 grand and drive it around for a year and mod it. I would not use a 5.0 engine but a 350 or larger stroker, puts some meat on it, but then you need to upgrade the frame, fuel, clutch, driveshaft, brakes to handle the torque.

Reply to
Dr Mackeroy

First off I necer said I was going to redesign the car.. Just a little resto-mod... Everyons has their own liking and options.... Besides this is something I WANT to do... Not have to do...Like I said before I welcome all comments and opinions.... If I just wanted a 5.0, yes I would buy it... but I want to BUILD a 5.0....

Reply to
Bleek600

I dont know what generation car you're talking about, there... but 'in my day' it was the 55 - 60 Chevvies, mainly 55 thru 57.

Which I helped do 5 or 6 of... and was a relative piece of cake. The ONLY hard to get part was the clutch-bar frame pivot.

But here's the question: BESIDES 'that it was a waste of time and money'.. did you LEARN ANYTHING?!!!!!

Did it give you ANY satisfaction?

Perhaps it ruined the collector value of that car... but, did you lose any more than I did by selling my 57 BelAir 2Dr HT for TWENTY FIVE FREAKING DOLLARS?

I got over it.. sorta.. but unless that 79 is a 2.3 turbo, and/or carries authentic 'Pace Car' graphics, he's out NOTHING. And a stock 79 v8 is worth near nothing.. unless it's cherry.

But he WILL learn a lot...especially if he restomods it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yes I agree... I have paid nothing for the mustang and nothing for the crown vic. I just want to try to make something out of nothing... That would be my satisfaction..... Besides, I have done chevys, more than my share of dodges, and now I want a Ford..... Never too old to learn.... Never stop learning......... Start Disassembly of the Vic this week........ Keep you all posted......

Reply to
Bleek600

build your own engine thats where you learn. you've done other cars now build something special. Your gonna spend goobs of time I hope you are still doing you schools studies so you can get a job doing something that you love and contributes to society another 5.0 mustang does help anybody it won't even be that fast by todays standards I can appreciate your attitude you seem like a good kid.

Reply to
dave

Disagree.

Built one, rebuilt several engines... learned enough.

But what I learned in rewiring and refitting an engine control upgrade has saved me hours of time and probably a lot of money in keeping all my fords running.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I am already through schooling... I am 29.. So No probs with staying ahead in my studies..... Thanks guys..... I'll be posting later this week with disassembly news......

Reply to
Bleek600

One more thing... I noticed that like 79-85 had one set of engine mounts and 86-93 had different mounts.... Will either work??? Or do I get the 89 cause thats the year of the motor, or 79 cause that is the year of the chassis????

Reply to
Bleek600