New Vette has HP:)

I have to say "I told you so" to those that didn't agree with me when I said Chevy was going to hit a horsepower wall with the current engine block used by the Corvettes. IMO, with the last Z06, they had got just about all the N/A horsepower they could from displacement increases and they would need a new block or go with forced induction to get much more. Looks like they have gone the blower route. Now what are all those Chevy guys going to say that trashed the Cobra for needing a blower to make power? LOL!

Reply to
Michael Johnson

The bigger issue, that they haven't address, yet, is traction. You gotta wonder when AWD will happen.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

With the CAFE standards we might be seeing the beginning of the end for all these super performance cars from the Big Three. I read an article yesterday where a Chevy rep said if the new CAFE standards had come any earlier the ZR1 in its current form would probably have never been given the green light. IMO, I don't think we will see an AWD Corvette or Mustang for quite a while, if ever. My guess is the cost to redesign the cars for AWD would e prohibitive.

I can't see these horsepower wars going much further. The number of cars they can sell with that level of power is very few. If we get a Democratic President and Congress I expect many of these cars to be legislated out of existence. They will use the hype of global warming to run all kinds of things up our collective asses. I can smell the beginning of the end for hyper performance cars.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

What is the point of a hyper performance car? More than 90mph in most states will get major attention from the law. Is it just to look at? Why not something you can run through it's paces without breaking the speed of sound?

Reply to
corky

You want to buy my hybrid? It's sitting in my garage, but you could certainly run it through its paces without endangering any speed limit.

Oh, and it's got a 21-speed tranny.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

If we analyze what we "need" for transportation then almost every car we drive is overkill for the task. It is having the performance available that matters, not how often we can use it. it is human nature to want more than we need. Another good example is our computers. Most of us could still get by with an original Pentium and AMD K7 processor but having something faster than we need is just irresistible. You would also be surprised how often you can enjoy an excess of horsepower, and especially torque, in day to day driving.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

It's not so much the speed, but how quickly you reach it. :) AFAIK, there's no law that limits how fast you can accelerate, provided that you do not cause danger to other traffic or pedestrians etc. In many places it's illegal to do burnouts however...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Any car is capable of exceeding the speed limit, really, what is your point?

You really need to think out side the box...

My Name Is Nobody

I WISH THAT WERE TRUE!

Having been the recipient of at least one Exhibition of Speed ticket, I can assure you, you are mistaken... :-(

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

I WISH THAT WERE TRUE!

Having been the recipient of at least one Exhibition of Speed ticket, I can assure you, you are mistaken... :-(

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

What was the documented reason for the ticket? The vehicle must be under the driver's full control, meaning no drifting, or loss of tire grip. Simple tire spin while going straight has been enough to warrant a ticket, since the tire was no longer in constant contact with the pavement and thus not under teh driver's control.. lame.

With no wheelspin, the remaining 'valid' reason would be general endangering of other traffic. That's kind of hard to beat, and cops back home liked to use that a lot. If you can prove there was no other traffic... :)

Anyway, the laws and their interpretations vary.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I only play a lawyer on TV...

A person commits the offense of speed racing on a highway if, on a highway or other premises open to the public in this state, the person drives a vehicle or participates in any manner in, or organizes or aids in organizing, any of the following in which a vehicle is involved: (a) A speed competition or contest. (b) An acceleration contest. (c) A test of physical endurance. (d) An exhibition of speed or acceleration. (e) The making of a speed record. (f) A race. For purposes of this paragraph, racing is the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long distance driving routes.

(g) A drag race. For purposes of this paragraph, drag racing is the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(2) The offense described in this section, speed racing on a highway, is a Class A traffic violation, unless the person drives a vehicle in committing the offense. If the person drives a vehicle in committing the offense, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor.

"Exhibition of speed" shall mean a willful act of showing off or displaying a dangerous or imprudent speed in a vehicle on a highway where the presence of another person is known to the driver or may be reasonably anticipated by the driver. In order to constitute an exhibition of speed under this chapter, there must be at least two spectators present at the event.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Right!

Merry Christmas, or whatever is PC here.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The fun factor is definitely a plus. But there are many times when not having quick acceleration is limiting or dangerous -- sometimes it's just needed. And you can always make a fast car go slow, but you can't make a slow car go fast.

-mb

Reply to
markB