Newbie Question - Audio System

Hi, all. Just got my new GT convertible a couple of days ago (dark blue metallic, premium package) and loving it so far.

It has the Mach 460 which sounds ok. I'd really like to find a way to get a line input into the audio system so I can run my iPod in the car. So, should I find someone who could wire a line input (2 RCA connectors or a mini-jack -- maybe in the box between the seats) into the existing system or repace the entire unit with a radio/CD player that has input jacks on the front panel, leaving in the original speakers?

Has anyone done this mod, and can point me in the right direction?

TIA

Reply to
Scudder

connectors

existing

input

And whilke we are answering his question, could those of you with MP3 players tell me how to go about installing one cheaply..did you have the audio dealership do it..if so what did you buy and where and how much did it cost you...

Thanks1

Matt

89 5.0 GT Vert Stock til it comes back from the body shop
Reply to
Matt

Matt,

You want to put in an aftermarket MP3 player correct? If so, there are many aftermarket solutions...I believe you could pick one up for about 150 plus the cosst of installation or parts...if you go through crutchfield.com they will send you everything you need to do it yourself...it is really easy...If you would like some recomendations just let me know what your price range is and I will see what I can find.

Reply to
Shane Metzler

I am not sure how an aftermarket headunit will sound with the Mach system...I haven't tried it yet...I got my 03 w/o the Mach because I knew I would be changing things out...anyways...my recommendation would be to look for an FM modulator to plug into the antenna lead and then run your ipod off of the FM modulator...in theory this should work...they also have Wireless FM modulators that do not work as well...

Reply to
Shane Metzler

I am not sure how an aftermarket headunit will sound with the Mach system...I haven't tried it yet...I got my 03 w/o the Mach because I knew I would be changing things out...anyways...my recommendation would be to look for an FM modulator to plug into the antenna lead and then run your ipod off of the FM modulator...in theory this should work...they also have Wireless FM modulators that do not work as well...

Reply to
Shane Metzler

crutchfield.com they

Shane,

I'd like to accomplish this for about $250 or less. I don't mind doing the install myself. Thanks for your help[ in this!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I'm not entirely sure which year of car you have, and it makes a bit of a difference.

The older (dual-unit) Mach460 systems could be tapped into. You could remove the head units, install one yourself, and use the factory amps and speakers.

The newer ones, this isn't a possibility yet, and you'll be removing all of your amps and replacing them (or running straight from the new head unit).

Since you don't mention cassette, I'll guess that you have the newer style single-unit radio / CD deck. This is the one that, as yet, does not have an adapter harness to hook up to the factory amplifiers.

Someone suggested an FM modulator. I have a wireless one (well, does not hook directly into the antenna) and it works just fine. I believe the ones that plug directly into your antenna connection work better - they can be hardwired into the car to hide some of the tangles.

If in fact you do have the older dual-deck style, not only are there adapters available (Metra perhaps, a company called PAC, and Crutchfield can source them as well), but you could also use a cassette adapter or the FM modulator, so you have plenty of options. The adapter would require using either solely your iPod or buying another head unit with an input.

Hope this helps... any more questions, let me know..

JS

Reply to
JS