newbie trying to help a neighbor

Howdy Mustang fans, My name is jamie and I live in Texas. I would like to thank you for letting me post here. I am a Volvo user group member, but my neighbor has a 1998 Mustang he's trying to find a part for.

I have VERY limited info, so I hope ya'll can help. He has the basic model, smallest motor he says. He's looking for an electrical part for the air conditioner. We crossed briefly in the yard and he just barely told me what he needed.

Apparantly this is an electronic switch that acts as a controller. It's under the hood and must actuate the system in some way.

Sorry to be so brief, but I didn't catch much. he says the system still has pressure - but it must be when he tries to turn on the a/c - it's not powering up.

Is there maybe a relay there or some component that rings a bell?

If this is too vague, can you recommend a good parts supplier that sells parts cheaply?

Thanks - and I hope to have more info soon.

jamie

Reply to
JamieB

there is an AC clutch on the front of the compressor that has two wires going to it.

Reply to
John

Sounds like maybe the pressure switch, which may or may not be the actual problem. You can pull the wires off of it with the SC in the on and coldest position and open and short the two wires. If the compressor kicks on and off the switch may be bad. But there are other reasons that it will not run, too high or too low of a pressure in the system for instance.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Thanks! I'm trying to picture the system. Usually you have the A/C switch which when you turn it on, engages the compressor. He says the compressor is good - and what I'm guessing is that there is something between the cabin a/c switch and the compressor that might be what he has in mind.

I'll try and get more details tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Reply to
JamieB

It's worth the small investment to get a freon refill kit with a gauge just to check the pressure. I'd bet that his pressure is just low.

Reply to
nospam