Newsflash: Future Generation Cobra is All-Wheel-Drive!

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? But let's look at the big picture. We do know Nissan will send the next generation Skyline GT-R to the States. That car will have a 3.8 liter twin-turbo V6 pumping out "in excess of

500 horsepower", and as with previous generations it will be AWD. Okay, we know the Mustang isn't going to compete head-to-head with an $80K sports car. But we do know Dodge's Viper and Chevy's Corvette won't take Nissan's attempt to become the new "King of the Hill" without a fight. So what can Dodge and Chevy do to keep up with the GT-R's expected blistering -- 500+ horsepower PLUS velco-like AWD -- performance? They could try upping the horsepower, but unless the Viper and Corvette start getting issued factory slicks horsepower alone won't be the answer. And with that assessment, the answer is, and can only be, AWD Vipers and Corvettes. Now how does Ford's Cobra fit into this picture? The Cobra has always played second fiddle to the Viper and Vette, but it has always tried to at least stay in sight of the big dogs' tail lights. And with the current generation GT500 having difficulties harnessing its 500 horsepower would it not make sense for a future Shelby/Cobra to have AWD?

Thoughts?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Is this based on some source or just your random thoughts?

Would AWD even be possible on the current platform?

Reply to
Brent P

To be honest, I don't think it will fly. Ford can't sell a bargain base Mustang or GT and morph that level of car into an AWD Corvette killer or even Corvette/Viper wannabe. The chassis physics and bean counter math just doesn't work, IMO. They know the formula for selling Mustangs. It is exactly what they are doing RIGHT NOW. They get to fancy and they will ruin a good thing.

As a case in point, remember when everyone got up in arms about the new Stang retaining the solid axle? Many said it would be a huge mistake. Guess what? It didn't matter at all that they went "old tech". In fact I read many complimentary articles about how test drivers are surprised with the performance of the solid axle design. Mustang owners want a car that is a solid performer that is priced right. Things like AWD, IRS, etc. is not a requirement and Ford is just wasting their time and money trying to make a technologically fancy Cobra. If I want that type of car I won't be buying a Mustang. Of that you can be absolutely sure and that is coming from a true Mustang fan.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

As a mustang variant, NO.

As the reintroduction of the original AC Cobra with 600+ Horsepower & AWD, now that could work You know, put Ford back on top of the best bang for the buck raw performance heap for another couple decades...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

If you are talking about a successor to the Ford GT then that is a whole different matter, and car. For a MUSTANG Cobra to be AWD and a technological tour-de-force is a huge stretch, IMO. I don't think it will sell or be economically viable for Ford.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Not a Mustang, or the GT successor, something along the lines of the 2005 Ford Shelby Cobra concept, with the 605-horsepower, all-aluminum V-10 engine and AWD...

My Name Is Nobody

That car, or the GR-1, was supposed to replace the GT when its production run was over. I guess it isn't likely to happen now that Ford is so far in the red.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Just my thoughts.

I doubt it. My thoughts were based on an new/updated platform.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

All replies contained good counterpoints. (I especially like the modern

2-seat Cobra with the 600HP/V10 and AWD idea.) And I have to agree an AWD Mustang would be too expensive for it's place in the market. However, I do see a future Viper and/or Vette going AWD simply because there just isn't any way to effectively hook more than 500 horsepower on street tires.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Reply to