NEWSFLASH! No SVT Products in 2005!!

I wonder what is causing this. Could Ford be hurting that bad financially? Read on... though it does get better... there is some bright spots...

--------------------

Ford to drop SVT Focus, suspend performance lineup

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

Comment on this story Send this story to a friend Get Home Delivery

DEARBORN -- Ford Motor Co. is killing its high performance SVT Focus coupe next year and suspending production of the entire Special Vehicle Team lineup for the 2005 model year, the company said Friday.

"It will hurt us," said Dean Sellers, general manager of Dean Sellers Ford in Troy. "But it won't be devastating."

Ford's next scheduled model year for SVT products will be 2006. But its lineup - the Mustang Cobra and F-150 Lightning - will be based on new platforms and offer increased levels of performance.

NoOp Comment: Okay, this is good.

John Coletti, SVT's chief engineer, said the 2006 Lightning will be powered by an engine similar to the one featured in the 500-horsepower Ford GT, which debuts next year.

NoOp Comment: Brent, you were correct. The GT's motor will go in the Lightning.

Other possibilities include supercharged versions of the Mercury Marauder and Lincoln Navigator, a Mustang with a V-10 and a turbocharged Focus.

NoOp Comment: Holy shit!! Maybe a supercharger 5.4 from the new Ford GT? Now that would be cool in a Merauder!! Hell, even the Cobra's

4.6 would be bad-ass! And get a load of that!! A V10 Mustang!! Wouldn't that be the shit!! A turbo-chargered Focus would be pretty damn cool too! For SVT to stop producing for one... yeah, I could wait for this stuff!

In 2005, Ford plans to introduce the Focus ST, which stands for street tuned. It offers slightly less horsepower than the SVT Focus -- 155 compared with 170. But it will have more torque and likely cost less.

NoOp Comment: Hopefully, with a motor with slightly more displacement. Then when they add a turbo to it a year later....

Angelo Giordimaina, general sales manager of McLaughlin Ford in Royal Oak, said lease and insurance rates on the SVT Focus were alienating some buyers.

NoOp Comment: Damn insurance companies!

Since its introduction as a 2002 model, about 4,500 units a year have been sold. Tom Scarpello, SVT marketing and sales manager, hinted Ford expected more.

"Did it meet all its objectives? No," Scarpello said. "But the majority of them."

Since the first Cobra debuted in 1993, Ford has sold more than 135,000 SVT products.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

The Focus is a non-issue; the SRT-4 took care of that. As for the "possibilities" mentioned below, who knows if they'll become probabilities.

By 2006, Ford's competition will have had one more year to come up with better products. As has been the trend with Ford, they'll be offering too little too late. Sounds to me like performance-minded consumers will be shopping at the DC and GM stores in the meantime.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Friday.

Sellers

horsepower

displacement.

135,000
Reply to
Joe

Aaaaaarrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Kate

| > -------------------- | >

| > Ford to drop SVT Focus, suspend performance lineup | >

| > By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News | >

| > Comment on this story | > Send this story to a friend | > Get Home Delivery | >

| > DEARBORN -- Ford Motor Co. is killing its high performance SVT Focus | > coupe next year and suspending production of the entire Special | > Vehicle Team lineup for the 2005 model year, the company said | Friday. | >

| > "It will hurt us," said Dean Sellers, general manager of Dean | Sellers | > Ford in Troy. "But it won't be devastating." | >

| > Ford's next scheduled model year for SVT products will be 2006. But | > its lineup - the Mustang Cobra and F-150 Lightning - will be based | on | > new platforms and offer increased levels of performance. | >

| > NoOp Comment: Okay, this is good. | >

| > John Coletti, SVT's chief engineer, said the 2006 Lightning will be | > powered by an engine similar to the one featured in the 500- | horsepower | > Ford GT, which debuts next year. | >

| > NoOp Comment: Brent, you were correct. The GT's motor will go in | the | > Lightning. | >

| > Other possibilities include supercharged versions of the Mercury | > Marauder and Lincoln Navigator, a Mustang with a V-10 and a | > turbocharged Focus. | >

| > NoOp Comment: Holy shit!! Maybe a supercharger 5.4 from the new | Ford | > GT? Now that would be cool in a Merauder!! Hell, even the Cobra's | > 4.6 would be bad-ass! And get a load of that!! A V10 Mustang!! | > Wouldn't that be the shit!! A turbo-chargered Focus would be pretty | > damn cool too! For SVT to stop producing for one... yeah, I could | > wait for this stuff! | >

| > In 2005, Ford plans to introduce the Focus ST, which stands for | street | > tuned. It offers slightly less horsepower than the SVT Focus -- 155 | > compared with 170. But it will have more torque and likely cost | less. | >

| > NoOp Comment: Hopefully, with a motor with slightly more | displacement. | > Then when they add a turbo to it a year later.... | >

| > Angelo Giordimaina, general sales manager of McLaughlin Ford in | Royal | > Oak, said lease and insurance rates on the SVT Focus were alienating | > some buyers. | >

| > NoOp Comment: Damn insurance companies! | >

| > Since its introduction as a 2002 model, about 4,500 units a year | have | > been sold. Tom Scarpello, SVT marketing and sales manager, hinted | Ford | > expected more. | >

| > "Did it meet all its objectives? No," Scarpello said. "But the | > majority of them." | >

| > Since the first Cobra debuted in 1993, Ford has sold more than | 135,000 | > SVT products. | >

| > Patrick | > '93 Cobra | > '83 LTD | >

Reply to
SVTKate

They do this *every* time, don't they? They just start to get really good at it, and convulsively pull back. Maybe we'll have another 140hp 5.0 Mustang in a few years.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I don't recall saying that, but it does show that the engine will have emissions / CAFE issues that will keep it out of passenger cars.

Always over the horizon, wait until next year, we'll build em, next year comes a dozen are built then rinse and repeat. I cannot believe that I am the only one who has grown tired of this.

Don't forget the rice-boy image that is probably driving the rates since their cannot be enough SVT foci out there long enough for good data.

4500 in two years.... hrm... sounds like something to replace the beaterrific/torqueless wonder with from the used car lot.

A wopping 13,500 cars a year.

In 1969 there were 13,193 428CJ/SCJ equipped cars alone.

Reply to
Brent P

The focus, especially the SVT focus (concept at least) is one of ford's rest-of-the-world cars that by some sort of accident made it to north america. And what happens to these cars is that ford makes a half-assed try at selling them, they don't sell very many and then the marketeers and finance people come back and say they don't sell and cancel them.

My guess is that engineering from time to time gets one of these to market against the odds and the marketing folk make sure it doesn't get the proper exposure so that it dies. After all, they don't want engineers and car guys ruling the roost.

Reply to
Brent P

I'm sorry, but for the most part, I'm a Ford guy, but I'll be damned, if I was buying sport compact it'd be an Mitsu EVO, or even the WRX STi. Rice is one thing but 270-300 hp from a compact is friggin' bad!! SRT-4 is cool as well.

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

Mike, the Mitsu and Subie are around $30k, and the interiors on both are crap. For $10k less you can get the SRT-4.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com:

Reply to
Joe

You think? I have -0- problem with the SRT4, hell I'd buy one if I had the ability. I'd drive all 3 first though. I'm pretty sold on the guts of the

2.0L Mitsu motor though. Damn thing in my car runs like a bat out-o-hell and it's still running stock boost at 7-9lbs. I can imagine what an EVO feels like at 19lbs and a front mount. I guess my point overall is I'm really digging the new Sport Compact with balls concept that the three Companies are doing now. It may be a passing fad, but you really can't argue with the power levels they are putting out. Power-weight =fun :-)

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

With another crap interior, but you at least saved 10K. :)

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

You guys missed something i read in a mustang mag:

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner

ewwww goodie goodie!

oh puke.

> [...]

| > > NoOp Comment: Hopefully, with a motor with slightly more | > displacement. | > > Then when they add a turbo to it a year later.... | > >

| > > Angelo Giordimaina, general sales manager of McLaughlin Ford in | > Royal | > > Oak, said lease and insurance rates on the SVT Focus were alienating | > > some buyers. | > >

| > > NoOp Comment: Damn insurance companies! | > >

| > > Since its introduction as a 2002 model, about 4,500 units a year | > have | > > been sold. Tom Scarpello, SVT marketing and sales manager, hinted | > Ford | > > expected more. | > >

| > > "Did it meet all its objectives? No," Scarpello said. "But the | > > majority of them." | > >

| > > Since the first Cobra debuted in 1993, Ford has sold more than | > 135,000 | > > SVT products. | > >

| > > Patrick | > > '93 Cobra | > > '83 LTD | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m28.aol.com:

Yeah, I sat in all of them at the car show last weekend - checked them all out pretty well.

I agree with you - those types of cars are great. But the Mitsu and Subie are in a different league than the SRT-4. The $30k Mitsu and Subie are technological masterpieces, but being the old fart that I am I need a bit more comfort inside. The interiors on those things are pretty much base-model level. The SRT-4 is the same, but for $10k less it doesn't hurt as much.

Joe

Exactly my point - the SRT-4 is a bargain. For around $20k, it'll beat a Mustang.

"Scott Williams" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Joe

Talk about a yawn...

"Nicodemus Telrenner" wrote in news:3fc2176d$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zianet.com:

Cobra's

alienating

Reply to
Joe

I found some interesting concepts of Mustangs at

inthe Wallpapers section, done by someone named Ren. If the nice people atFord were to make one like the gold Mach 1 in the middle, I believe I'd haveto have one of those. The '65 fastback style louvers are pretty sweet, IMO.Hello, Ford? Listening?

Reply to
RayS

No, I think most of us know about Shelby coming back to Ford. In fact, I posted it to the group a couple few weeks ago.

Kate, I think the next (upcoming) Shelby Mustang will be pretty special. I'm expecting the upcoming V10 Mustang to be the Shelby model. However, I think it'll be priced out of this world. Seeing that the current Cobra Mustang runs about $30K-$35K, I'd expect a Shelby V10 'Stang to be priced about $55K-$60K-- a little more than a Z06, but much less than a Viper. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner