NIGHTHAWK vs. SILVERSTAR

What about on the back of the SilverStar box that says regular halogens are at 3200 K whereas the SilverStars are at 4000 K. Daylight is 5400 K.

Also, why on the back of the same box are there 3 pictures one of which is a standard halogen, the other a Cool Blue, and the last a SilverStar which shows the standard halogen as a yellow colored light, the Cool Blue a blue color and dimmer, and the SilverStar brighter and whiter?

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

Because the SiverStar box has copy that's designed to make you want to buy SilverStars. Geez, I thought that was so basic it wasn't worth comment.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This website has good pictures of the difference I am seeing...

And here is a quote for this website...

"According to a research study conducted by the Lighting Research Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in Troy, N.Y., SYLVANIA's high performance halogen headlights produce a whiter light that helps improve a driver's ability to see roadside objects, such as street signs. The whiter headlights also help drivers improve their reaction time and avoid potential road hazards."

BTJustice

"Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

That would be false advertising and a lawsuit. Since there is no lawsuit or people filing one I am led to believe their advertising is truthful.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

That's funny. Basically what was cited is a research study that was likely paid for by Sylvania saying that their so-called "whiter" light produces better vision. As far as I can tell, Sylvania would never put out a product that was inherently unsafe to use, but their performace claims for Silverstar seem to be total hogwash. Not only that, but the manufacturer's rated life for the 9007 Silverstar (9007 ST) is 150 hours vs 375 for the XtraVision (9007 XV), 500 for the standard, and 1500 for the long-life version (9007 LL).

DS knows far more about automotive lighting than anyone else posting to these automotive NGs. When he says that the blue filter on the Silverstars reduces the amount of usable light, I believe him. I've purchased stuff from him before, and if he could make a buck selling Sylvania Silverstar with a good concience that he's selling a superior product, I'm sure he would. What I have bought from him were the

**Osram** Silverstar (H1 bulbs) which don't have a blue filtration coating, last longer, cost less, and produce more usuable light than the Sylvania Silverstar.
Reply to
y_p_w