Noise grrr -- JS?

Ok... my 98 GT is making the noise again. It makes a high pitched "HMM -- HMM -- HMM -- HMM -- HMM" noise when going fairly slow.. usually while turning. Anybody know what it could be? I remember JS said it was something like "traction lock bearings" or something. I forget.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Never said anything 'bout traction lock bearings. Maybe rear end bearings... but that would sound more like a dull, low pitched grinding noise though. If it's high pitched and kinda closer to a squeal/squeak kinda noise, it could be the u-joints in the driveshaft.

To determine what kind of noise you might be having, try to determine whether or not the noise is RPM related, speed related, or doesn't seem to follow either of these two.

Anything that increases in frequency with speed is probably not engine related. Output side of the transmission (not the clutch side or the clutch), driveshaft u-joints, rear end, wheel bearings at all four corners, or even a brake hanging up and squealing. Anything going as fast as the car is going, regardless of engine RPM.

Anything that increases in frequency with RPM is most likely engine related. Anything spinning at the same speed as the engine (accessories, clutch, etc) can be a culprit. Also note that vibrations caused by the engine at certain RPMs can cause other loose things to rattle or squeak... usually exhaust components.

If it doesn't seem to increase with either, try to determine conditions that make it happen or change. Turning the wheel, suspension travel, etc. To find the noise, you have to determine the system first.

Do that and come back and let us know what system you think it might be coming from...

HTH

JS

Reply to
JS

Well.. I've tried to make it make the noise again.. but it seems it'll only do it after driving the car for at least an hour or 2.. but when I finally did get it to do it.. it only does it when going slow (under 15mph).. usually I'm in a parking lot or something when it does it. It doesn't matter if I'm turning or not.. it's not affected by RPMs.. I can rev it up & it still squeaks the same... so I guess not engine related. I thought maybe wheel bearings.. I looked at the driveshaft & saw no dents..not even tiny ones. Of course, the driveshaft u-joints are sealed off (factory driveshaft) so I can't lubricate them. The squeal increases as speed increases until I get past 15mph.. then it disappears. My brain is telling me wheel bearings, but I don't know squat. Any advice would be very very appreciated. Thx, JS & all.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

It's probablt a bad u-joint. Have a close look at the rubber seals on the u-joints and see if there is any light brown rust indications on any of the seals at the cups.

Reply to
RonK

I didn't see any rubber seals at all... lemme put her up on the ramps again & do a reaaaal close inspection. I appreciate it, RonK. Just rotated my tires... needed it pretty bad. Be back in a few!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Ok well... when I took the car for a test drive (rotated tires--was checking it) I couldn't get it to make the noise again at all. I put it under the conditions it would normally do it under & it won't make the noise anymore... I'm sure it'll pop it's ugly head up again though. I'll keep ya guys posted. Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Ok

Reply to
RonK

Could the noise have been coming from the tires?

Reply to
Morgan Bullard

Well nothing is stuck in the tread of the tires.. I checked for that while rotating. I can still kinda hear it sometimes.. just extremely faintly.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset