Now Using Sylvania X-tra Vision Bulbs

After nearly clipping a deer one night, I decided I needed to make an upgrade to my car's lighting system. Not wanting to clutter up/alter the factory appearance of the front end of my car with some goofy looking driving lights, I decided to get some recommendations for "bulb upgrades." Especially, since my car's headlight lens still look like new. I was wondering if any of these "premium" blue bulbs were worth the money. After getting a recommendation by a fellow NG member, backed up by an excellent link on the subject, I went with the Sylvania X-tra Vision bulbs. So how do they work? I wouldn't say the difference from the factory bulbs was dramatic... it's not like having a football stadium light mounted on the front of my car, or I can now see twice as far as before. However, the X-tra Vision bulbs are brighter than the factory units. I could see the deer hanging near the highway tonight much better than before. And now the brights really beam out there. Would I have noticed the difference if someone would have secretly swapped out my factory bulbs for the Sylvanias...? Probably not... not unless someone would have commented that my headlights seemed to be brighter than before. Then it would have been one of those replies, gosh, now that you mention it they have seemed a little brighter lately. So, I rank the Sylvania X-tra Vision bulbs in the same category as underdrive pullies. Yes, they are better than the factory units (at least better than 1993 bulbs), but their improvement may not be readily noticed. (Note: Sylvania advertises a

20% improvement, and I'd agree with that claim.)

Here are my recommendations:

If you primarily do city driving, don't rush out to change your headlights bulbs. But if you drive on a lot of back and dark country roads, for around 20 bucks for two bulbs, I'd recommend switching to the Sylvania X-tra Vision bulbs (they come in a pink & black box).

Oh, and BTW, the X-tra Vision headlights were HUGE improvement over the factory (yes, 20 year old) headlights on my daughter's LTD. Though her old 20 year-old bulbs seem to have had a broken seal or something because there was moisture inside her old headlights.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Hello,

I also went to the Sylvania's on my 85 Marquis (not grand, the little one). They were a vast improvement for me. To me they seemed to porject farther than the stock bulbs, as if I can see farther down the road. I only replaced the low beams, as I didn't have enough money to do all 4 at once. As Patric said, they are great for back roads, but in the city I didn't notice much difference (as most people won't, with streetlights and all :) )

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

I use the Sylvania Silver Stars ($40 a pair at Autozone) in my GT and am very happy with the improved night vision they provide. They are DOT approved and provide a substantial improvement both on low beam and high beam. My eyes can't guess the percent improvement but I feel a lot more comfortable driving at night (us old folks need all the light we can get).

No they are not "stadium power" but you can't legally use those anyway. Besides, if you did, they would blind every approaching driver (some of whom would probably sverve INTO you).

They also have the advantage of being within a few watts of the OEM bulbs. This is important if you dont want your headlights or their plastic connectors to melt (some aftermarket bulbs produce twice as much heat).

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall