odometer problem fixed!

A nice gentleman in TX sold me a 94/95 v6 cluster with a mileage very close to mine (101K vs 108K) which I just installed. About 30 mins work which included swapping the bezel and clear front from the old to the new gauge pod as mine has an aluminum inlay and the new pod's clear part was badly scratched (Which he told me about beforehand)

Just took a test drive, and both odo and trip are working! Not bad for not even $35 including shipping. I now wven have a spare bezel which I am considering painting aluminum to match my inlay.

Now I can see hwo many miles I put on pony again. :-)

Reply to
Paul

Paul,

You did know you can swap out your old nick chip in to the new pod......................

Bill S.

Paul wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

at 10 Aug 2003, Chief Wiggum [ snipped-for-privacy@hormell.com] wrote in news:t1FZa.31870$ff.22404@fed1read01:

Not that handy I fear. Not about ready to disassemble that cluster and run the risk of breaking it... :-) Thanks for the tip though...

I looked at that but haven't figured out how to do it. No data on it to be found anywhere, neither Chilton no rmy Ford service manual...

Reply to
Paul

I don't know that I'd sweat 7K miles.

If you really wanted to run some mileage up, you could probably remove the vehicle speed sensor from the transmission and spin it using a rotary tool for a few hours/days with the key switched on. This would register speed and mileage and get you back to where you should be. It's some work, but you don't have to tear the dash back apart, nor figure out how to get the odometer apart.

JS

Reply to
JS

at 13 Aug 2003, JS [ snipped-for-privacy@home.now] wrote in news:N0m_a.6129$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

I'm not really sweating it, but it's an inconvienence as I keep a mileage log for tax reasons. Not worth mucking with that sensor. Doing the gauge cluster removal is easy. 10 minutes work. If you can get the headlight switch off that is. :-) Done it about 3 times now...

Reply to
Paul