Of Old Farts and dinosaurs...

The mass extinctions resulting from eruptions of super volcanoes and meteors were very short duration events. The rates we are seeing today are a guess at best and definitely not unprecedented even in the worst case scenario.

It's true. Here's a few links:

The really disgusting thing is that he is justifying this absurd use of energy by buying carbon credits to offset his huge energy consumption. You know what he is really saying to us common folks? He is too rich to be expected to conserve energy. I don't call him a hypocrite without solid justification.

He isn't building 10,000 square foot mansions, buying and paying upkeep on 3-4 high end homes and paying $30,000 annual electric bills on a government pension. He is making a fortune off this crap he is shoveling. As are multitudes of others.

Patrick, this whole global warming movement is a massive money grab. It cuts across party lines and national borders. These guys (on both sides of the argument) are like sharks in a feeding frenzy right now. As soon as the food (aka cash) is gone they will move on to some other environmental emergency to milk for all it is worth.

Twenty-five years ago these same so called experts were telling us the biggest threat to mankind was global cooling. That didn't pan out for them so now it is global warming and they have a few numbers to crow about and they are trying to grab as much money as they can as quick as they can before the data swings the other way and undercuts their predictions. Here are a couple of links:

In less than 10-15 years the all knowing scientific community has managed to swing from a global cooling stance to a catastrophic global warming stance. These guys can sure glean a lot from about a decade's worth of data. Here's a site that has some interesting takes and info:

Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:wdSdnekIs5vY0XvYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Michael, from my experience you are basically correct, although playing with the shift points and tire pressures might get you close to 15 flat.

Best time my LX with an AOD ever did was 14.4 @ 96.95mph at about two feet above sea level. That was with an Auburn, 3.73s, Cobra intake, UD pulleys, 75mm MAF, and street tires. Tranny was basically a stock rebuild, and I did the 1-D-1 thing to hold 2nd during the run.

I figured that setup was around 230-240hp give or take, so an extra 100 hp would take me into the high 13s at around 100mph, especially with a LenTech or something similar.

Reply to
Joe

We are both on the same page. I wasn't referring to a Mustang with modifications like a rebuilt tranny with a shift kit and some engine mods etc. just a bone stock car. With your tranny and a crate motor I would expect about what you said, mid to high 13s for the quarter and trapping about 100-105 mph. In their day the Fox Mustangs were the $hit but time has marched on and a bone stock one is not going to dominate, or even win, depending on the new car it runs against.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
Spike

Reply to
Spike

In each nich, something steps in to fill a void. For example, the world was populated with hers of dino"cows" which covered the plains like herds of bison or raindeer. Dinos disappeared, and the mamals crawled out and took over the planet. Volcanos rise up from the bottom of the ocean as barren rock. Given time, those rocks become populated by plants and animals. Even on the bottom of the sea, where there is no light for photosynthesis, open a thermal vent and life flourishes by consuming the minerals which boil forth.

Reply to
Spike

Or dispose of them?

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

And I agree with this.

Me too.

An otherwise stock Fox

Auto trans, 3.73 gears, shift kit and a 340 crate motor and it's a wipe out.

See above.

I agree. 73s, 08s and even 27s with the old AOD is not a rapid transit system. But with the normally installed 73s or 4.10s, and shift kit, things get livened up quite a bit.

with the crate motor might shave a full second off the ET to get the car to the high 13s at best.

With just the above mods I've seen them run mid 14s.

Not sure how we got a 340 crate behind _just_ an automatic. I agree they're a bigger challenge to make them fast. I assumed we were talking about the common racers choice -- a 5-speed. And in this case, with one packing a 340 HP crate, your common Camrys, Altimas, etc, are going to get roasted.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

The stock AOD is a POS. Throw a LenTech behind that 340 crate motor with 3.73s (see above) and some decent rubber and you have _consistent_ mid-13s at worst. That's a fairly decent step above most cars today.

Reply to
Joe