OFF TOPIC GM crap

I know a lot of you have tow vehicles and trucks as well as mustangs. What's your honest opinion of the chev 6.5 Diesel? I mean 94 - 2000 models - (93 had mechanical pump) I'm looking at a 94 Crewcab 4x4 with the 6.5 TD 5 sp. I know the powerstroke and cummins both have more grunt. Dodge didn't make a crewcab in the early 90s so its ford or chev. My budget is $15000. This 94 is only $8000. What's the best bang for the buck? 454? 460? 7.3 powerstroke? Will the better mileage add up to savings with the diesel or will the maintenance eat that up and more? I tow a 27 ft 5th wheel - 8000 lbs - mostly short trips - one long trip a summer.(1500 km round trip)

Merc Thundersnake#16

1969 mustang sportsroof mach clone
Reply to
Merc

A truck driver friend of mine picked the 454 w/ 5 speed option and 5th wheel. He says that the clutch disc from the factory was no good. He put in an aftermarket clutch assy. and has really had no problems with it since other than regular maintainance. He tows something similar to what you describe, a long a$$ vacation trailer. The truck is a mid

90's extended cab with the long bed. I'd pick the diesel only if you expect to have it for 300,000 miles or better.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

On Thu, 19 May 2005 06:49:43 GMT, "Merc" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Once you decide to go used, and a budget of 15K means you'll stay used, it is all going to depend on the vehicle and how the owner maintained it. There are a lot of tow-vehicles out there with low mileage and horrible maintenance histories, owners who put them up after the summer trip and never touch them again. They will look pristine, but have had their guts pulled out of them. Have anything your really interested in gone over soup to nuts by a qualified mechanic. Oh, and I hate a 5-spd on a tow vehicle. In case you're wondering, most of my towing nowadays is light and my F-150 does just fine.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Between the Ford 460 or the Chevy 454, the fight has gone on for years. The Ford has a bigger crank and lots more iron in the block. But they both do the job, and drink gas. Lots of it. Try to stay with a Dodge or 7.3 Ford Diesel. The GM 6.5 is a truck engine. It is not a converted car gas engine. But it's not in the same league as the others. One thing you need to know up front, Diesel parts are VERY expensive. I paid $48 for ONE lifter for a GM

6.2 Diesel.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

you are quite retarded ford is crap dude look around f 450 loose there wheels e 350 get 30k to a ball joint

lmfao go for the cummins they power more school buses and trucks with least problems next would be chev stay away from ford unless u like to break your knuckles and have a bigbankroll

7.3 are costly and full of oil leaks

hurc ast

Reply to
  whose ya daddy 96

I have a 6.8L V10 w/ 4 speed auto in my E-350 SD work van. Not the greatest HP rating (300 or so) but the torque figures (420lb/ft) are nice and the gas milage is about the same or a little better than the

5.3L V8 depending on how I feel any given day. I think it would probably do fine as a tow engine.

I worked at an engine rebuilding shop when I was younger and built a number of big block FoMoCo, ChryCo, GM, and other engines including diesels. I really don't have a prefference for any of them. As ZombieWolf stated, it has more to do with how well the engine is taken care of than any differences in the engineering dept. I'd pick a Chevy or Pontiac only because I think that I know them better than any other manufacturers motors.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

I know your just a troll who can't spell or use punctuation but do you actually have any mechanical training? Are you a GM tech? You don't seem to be much of a ford lover for someone who hangs out in the RAMFM. I ended up buying a 1994 6.5 chev turbo diesel. So far so good.

Merc

P.S. I looked around like you said and didn't see any wheels flying off of F-450s and there were no ball joints laying on the highway. Seems you got some bad information.

Reply to
Merc