Off Topic: Youtube of my 455 idling

For those in the know (or in the care), here's a video I shot this morning after changing out the break-in oil. The inner springs for the valve springs haven't been reinstalled, so the rpm's are being limited.

After watching it, my driveway almost looks like the bottom of a dried, rocky riverbed... nice weeds and moss.

Enjoy (or not):

Steve E.

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I love the sound of big-blocks in the morning. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

"A Guy Named Steve" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Sounds Awesome! So how the hell are you, Steve?

Joe

innews: snipped-for-privacy@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Hey Joe,

It does sound good, but the carb is in a state of having sat for 2 years and was tuned for about 100 less HP/TQ. So there's still some left to be done.

Doing well - keeping busy. I've kinda let the car stuff sit since I broke the Buick two years ago.

Now that the motor is done and in, I need to start getting to work on the rest of it so that it can get back to the track. There's still a lot to do. I'm going to replace the entire fuel system from a new tank, with an added sump, all the way to the carb. It has an 850 DP on it which is OK, but the Buicks really seem to like being over carb'd. The popular choice is the 1000HP Holley. The fuel pump on it now was chosen for the motor as it was before, and it may not be enough to feed this motor. So I've got a much nicer fuel pump to go on when the rest of the system is done. It also needs everything from the trans back replaced too. The TH350 was built for a lot less power, and it won't last long where it is. The original 2.56 open rear is obviously miles from ideal (ran 13.51 @ 106 in 2nd gear when I broke it).

As far as Mustang stuff, my dad's 93 triple-white Mustang is as close as I've gotten lately. As far as Ford stuff, my Ranger from Hell is still running. However it had to have an almost $5K longblock replaced a few years ago. Last summer I had to have the torque converter, filter, trans oil pump, and a few supporting pieces replaced to the tune of $2500! With other little things, I've put $8K into the Ranger in the last 3 years and it just turned over 100K miles and isn't even worth that amount. But, I've paid off the truck and that $8K, so I'm without a payment. It would be hard to buy something new and start making payments again.

Outside of cars, I'm taking as much advantage of work-related training and travel as possible. I've been back to Quantico a couple times in the last couple years (6 since 2004) and back to Boston last year over the 4th of July. I'm heading to Huntington, WV on Sunday and will come back that Friday. July will take me to San Diego this year. My wife and I are hoping to take a 2-week vacation to Italy in November. A year ago we went on our first European vacation to Bath, London, and Paris and we're looking forward to taking more of those trips. It's all just money though, right???

So what's up with you Joe?

Steve E.

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

"A Guy Named Steve" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

But there's no mistake that it's a big block. ;)

I hear that. I'm almost in the same boat...

Yup. Until kids come along... ;)

Actually lots of stuff. Working from home most of the time now due to gas prices and my boss' understanding. 90 mile round trip per day @

13mpg just doesn't cut it, so I get to telecommute. The other side of that coin is that I'm putting in 50-60 hour weeks on a fairly regular basis, which leaves no time for extracurricular activities.

My son's graduating high school this year and heading right into college majoring in Aerospace Engineering. He eventually wants to work for NASA, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc. - you get the picture. Kudos to him for doing lots better than his daddy ever did. ;)

The LX is still going strong with around 156k miles - my son's using it as his daily driver. Unfortunately he's banged it up a bit, but it's come out ok in the long run. It's now on its second front clip, but it's still running great.

I'm still tooling around in the Torquemonster (Dakota 5.9) @ 11mpg around town and 15mpg highway, but I don't get out that much due to work. Needless to say it's fun when I do go out. Even though it's only a 360, it's got that "big block feel" with the 3.92 rear.

Sounds like you guys are doing well. It's great that you get to travel so much and see what else is out there. So any plans for little ones yet? ;)

Sorry to hear about the Ranger. $8k's a lot to have to get to no payments, but at least you're there. I'm at that point as well - no payments, but I'm going to have to make a decision soon. I'm considering giving my son the Dakota in his 2nd year (1st year he's in the dorm), which will leave me with the Mustang again. At that point it won't really be dependable as a daily driver, so it'll either become a restomod or I'll sell it to an appreciative soul. Either way, it's going to cost me, so I'm starting to think about options.

So, all in all, never a dull moment... ;)

Joe

innews: snipped-for-privacy@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

So, where are the time slips?

Where are you going in Italy? I love it there. Was in Sorrento in a hotel, herd the unmistakable rumble of a big V8, it was a 60's Cobra!! What a shock:) Was the only good sound I heard from a car. Most sound like 50cc Mopeds. Got to love the APE 50 trucks.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...> > > > "A Guy Named Steve" wrote

trucks.http://www.italyfromtheinside.com/2005/11/ape-italian-truck.html>

The car is a long ways from the strip. It needs an entire fuel system, including a new tank. It also needs everything behind the motor replaced too. I did have a slip with the motor when it broke. With a smaller cam in an original long block, it went 13.51 @ 106 mph, running through the traps in 2nd gear. That was with the original 2.56 open rear. The slip looks like this:

60' 2.309 330' 5.953 1/8 8.882 @ 84.01 1000' 11.39 1/4 13.512 @ 106.13 mph

You can see how slow it was out of the hole. I'm hoping that I can have everything complete towards the end of this season so I can make the BOP races and maybe a couple before that.

Our plan for Italy will be some time in Rome and surrounding area, some time in Tuscany and surrounding area, and some time in Venice including visiting islands. It's rather loose at this point as we haven't made any reservations.

Steve E.

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I'm fortunate that I'm able to work 4/10's. So I get Wednesday off to take care of stuff and not have to commute that extra day. Plus, working for the county, I have a bus pass that gets me to and from work for free. If I were to drive, my cost would be $8/parking and ~ $6/gas (2 gallons @ $3) = $14/day. Plus, I don't have to deal with driving in the traffic out here. I hate the days when I have to drive anymore.

Definitely good for him. Next thing you know he'll be working up in this area in Boeing's monster of a building in Everett...

It's tough to replace them when you don't owe anything. It's much easier to go from $300/mo to $400/mo than from $0 to $400! I'd love one of those new V6 Rav4's since we don't have a vehicle that we can take people in for more than a few miles. Plus they run high

14's and get gas mileage in the low-mid 20's! Hard to beat that for an all-around family car!

Pretty much our plan is that neither of us are ready yet. My wife is pretty deep in her work and has been moving up in a firm that she really enjoys working at. And I'm not in a hurry right now either. It would have been nice had we met 10 years earlier and be where we are today, but that's not the way it worked out. We're trying to take advantage of travel until we won't be able to for a while, even though we're not sure when that'll be. It took us 7 years for a trip to Europe (that's took about a year to save for and pay off). Most of the other travel has been work-related. My wife takes her first work- related trip the week after I get back from WV. She'll be going to San Antonio for 5 days.

It's tough. We're watching our neighbors across the street go through this. They have three daughters. One has been driving about a year. The second is about due within the next year, and the third is probably less than 5 years away. The boyfriends are already starting to show up at the house now. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the car situation, especially as the second starts driving just before the first heads off to college. I guess I don't have to think about that for myself for a while, thankfully.

Steve E.

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve