Oil Consumption

My '03 Gt Vert has about 6300 Miles on it. Up till now everything's been OK. Then it went in for it's 6K Service(tires rotated and oilc changed). For the 1st 6k it did not loose any oil. I checked it every week and it was always OK.

About a 2 wks after the 6K service, I checked the oil and was horrified to see that it was down 2 Qts!! I made the mistake of not checking it when I picked up the car from the dealer after the 6k service. Over the course of 600 miles, 2 Qts just disappeared. I did not see any smoke, nor did I see any stains in my garage. So my assumption was that the dealer did not put in the correct amount.

So from the gas station I went directly to the dealer who promptly took the car in. I told them my conclusion (that they did not put in enough oil)., which they of course said was impossible because everything is pre measured and checked before the car leaves.

Any way, they kept the car for 2 days and checked it out. They said they could find no leaks (surprise) and that I should keep an eye on it. If it happens again to bring the car back.

Anyone out there have any suggestions on what the cause may be?

Thanks Joe

Reply to
joe

Claud Spinks

Keep the service record, including your complaint. 2 quarts down on oil in a car with 6K on it is either a loose plug or filter, or not putting enough in, either way, this is BAD. 2 quarts down should have tripped you oil light, so you may not have had it quite so bad in reality. Even so, this is a good way to ruin a recently built engine (I did it on my

312 when I was young and foolish - oil filter not tight - 2 quarts down at 200 mile check (gas), motor lasted 18K before pitching a rod through the side of the block - waste of a B&B motor ).

Andrew

joe wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

I had something similar happen when I got my Cobra.. it completely freaked me out. I took it right down to have it converted to Mobile 1 and they put in one quart less than they should have. Fortunately I caught it right away. I will bet that is what happened to you too... it hasn't ever happened again.

Just keep an eye on her, everything will be ok. Next time be sure to remind the that they have to allow for the larger capacity and the filter :-)

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

The motor takes six quarts and I think that techs forget that it takes more than many of the cars on the road. You still had 4 quarts of clean oil in it so I doubt you will have any problem as long as there was oil pressure.

Can someone fill me in as to why he could get damage running 4 quarts for

600mi.? Does the bottom part of the engine depend on spash lubrication like small 4 cycle power tool engines?

Thanks, John

Reply to
jriegle

jriegle opined in news:OZR2b.116218$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

When you run low on oil... esp with the switch oil sensor... you will never know it.

The cylinder walls lube from bearing sling-out. If it is spotty, that part of wall is dry, the ring edges overheat and lose their edge... starts using oil from that point on.

On 5 quart engines, the trouble point is around 1.5 qts low.

I have found to my dismay (HAd a turbo seal fail and ran 1.5 low before I found it).

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

No, but I can tell you how to solve the problem. Find a new shop to take your car for service....seems the mechs at your dealership are no better than the JiffyLube chimps.

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

According to FORD, acceptable oil consumption is 1 qt every 900 miles. Seems alot to me. I generally keep my cars till the wheels fall off and have never experienced consumption that high. My last car to go was my 91 Mercury Tracer. With 150k on the engine, it did not burn a drop!

Reply to
joe

I'd hate to say it was a trend, but I noticed something similar with a '99 Olds Intrigue I bought new & had dealer serviced. Twice. First time i figured it was my mistake. Second time, I knew better. Alwlays check that oil level.

Reply to
C Green

I do know how to do my own maintenance, just a this point in time it's easier just to pay someone! It also takes away the argument that the car was not properly maintaind should warranty work need to be done.

Reply to
joe

As long as the low-oil light did not come on you are fine. I bet the dealer screwed up and did no fill it enough. Hear it all the time. That's why I do it myself. So, next time you pick it up after an oil change, have them check the oil level while you watch.

Rein

I used to run my CHevy 350 so low that the lifters would clatter if I went over 65mph. So I'd slow down to 60 and an hour later when I was back in town put a couple quarts in. Many times it was down 3 quarts out of the 5 when I did an oil change. It did not hurt the engine one bit. The engine used, not burned, oil from the time I got it at

24,000 miles till I sold it at around 110K and it ran exactly the same (like new), just used more oil then most. But never fouled a plug or even discolored them and never dripped oil. I'm not saying there aren't some engines that aren't sensitive to being 1.5 qts low, but it's certainly not some universal rule.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

What about a 91' Mustang that is supercharged and have a breather cap. I go threw quite a bit of oil in that car.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher J. Martin