oil releave valve?

what exactually does this do? i have a mustang that loses all pressure to the engine and starts knockin. i replaced the oil pump and the pickup tube, what else could it be? it only knocks when the oil pressure drops so it wouldnt be the rod barrings or it would do it all the time, right?

Reply to
kyfiremama

Sorry for your problems..

If the problem comes and goes, that is possibly it.

Sorry, never tore that engine down...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Engine size/year?

Reply to
.boB

the engine is a 3.8 v6

Reply to
kyfiremama

the engine is a 3.8 v6

Reply to
kyfiremama

If the oil pump is part of the front cover, did you replace the entire front cover? Or simply replace the oil pump gears and use the old cover? The pressure relief valve is also part of the front cover. If it's old, you need to remove it and replace as necessary. It could be something as simple as sludge keeping it open. If the whole cover is new, then you need to look somewhere else for the problem: bad bearings, malfunctioning pressure gauge, etc.

Reply to
.boB

Oil pressure relief valve only keeps the oil pressure from going too high, though a faulty valve can allow oil to bypass at too low a pressure...

A little more information would be helpful since I am assuming that cold, everything seems fine but as the engine warms, you are hearing the lifters starting to make noise? The oil is going to act thicker when it is cold.... As the engine warms. we will usually see oil pressure drop to some degree. In your case, I would certainly suggest using a mechanical gauge to check oil pressure both cold and warm.

There are so many reasons for low oil pressure on these.... IIRC, early 3.8s used a gasket on the oil pump cover.... I believe it was a 3.8 I found that someone had managed to double gasket the pump allowing to much clearance around the rotors. Later 3.8s use an O-ring seal on the oil pump.

Was the front cover replaced due to a coolant leak?... If the coolant leaks into the crankcase, it can kill bearings quite quickly.... Was the oil changed at the time of the front cover replacement.... without turning the motor over?. Now many miles.. what year...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
cprice

Still don't have the balls to chat???

Reply to
Jim Warman

I thought so....

Once again... if I have offended you in some way (seems to have started about the time I voiced my opinion on wreckless behaviour), we have two choices.... we can discuss it as reasonable adults or engaged in childishness..... the ball is in your court....

Reply to
Jim Warman