? on the COBRA R

are the cobra r cars street legal? i had a guy tell me they where not. i think these where only built in 2002. and all where red i think? i know bill collins ford in louisville ky has one, and it`s there just to look at. not for sale. well anyways i thought i would ask and find out. that is one sharp car!! MP

Reply to
Michael price

The 1993 Cobra R's were not street legal. The 1995s were street legal, and those built in 2000 I think were street legal. (with the possible exception of in CA) The only Cobras built in 2002 (100?) were converted to right-hand drive and sold in Australia. They were otherwise regular Cobras, not Rs.

rd

Reply to
RD Jones

Since when? What about the 93 R code made it not street legal?

Reply to
WindsorFox

They are all street legal.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Apparently not in all states.

I tried to order a '93 R and the dealer told me it was a competition vehicle for off road use only and could not registered for plates. I took this to mean that there was not a proper emissions certification. The dealer may have been blowing smoke. (My area requires all vehicles newer than 1974 to be emissions tested every year.)

Aren't plates needed for a car to be considered street legal ?

rd

Reply to
RD Jones
2000 is the year i`m thinking of. it has the large tall double tail fins. reason being i seen on on I-75 on day and it looked like the cobra r car. well i was telling this guy at work about seeing it, and he`s like no there not legal and must been a clone. thanks guys for the info. mike price

03 mach 1 torch red

99 gt chrome yellow
Reply to
Michael price

And, to answer your other Q ...

All 2000 Rs (and all '93 Rs) were red, all '95 Rs were white.

rd

Reply to
RD Jones

Generally when any employee of any dealership opens their mouth they are not telling the truth... So I wouldn't rely on them for any facts like that...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Yes, they were legal in all 50 states.

RD,

What he was explaining, by twisting the story, was Ford's marketing BS. Ford tried to make the R models "special" by restricting their sales to "racers". And then limited their production to super-low, asinine numbers so they could ask ridicules prices for them. The fact is the R models were all fully emission/street legal. (Note: The '93 Rs also had the same exact horsepower as the standard issue '93 Cobras.)

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Either he lied to you or he was a blithering idiot....

Reply to
WindsorFox