Only 45K to be built for the 45th year

The 45th-anniversary ride of the Mustang will be a quick one. Ford expects to build just 45,000 retail versions of the 2009 model.

The car has few changes from the '08 model, and pony-car fans are already clamoring for the redesigned 2010 Mustang, which is expected to be shown later this year.

Still, the plan will make the '09 considerably scarcer than Mustangs in recent years. Ford sold 44,160 Mustangs through the first five months of this year and 64,560 in the same period in 2007.

The '09 Mustang gets a 45th-anniversary badge, an optional glass roof and slightly updated Warriors in Pink trim. It's arriving in dealerships now.

Meanwhile, anticipation continues to build for the redesigned Mustang, which, like the original, will compete against the Dodge Challenger and the Chevrolet Camaro.

Reply to
NoOption5L

Hi Pat, I always enjoy reading your posts. Would you mind posting a link to your source on this information? I would like to read more about this and reference it. Thanks. It would make sense for Ford to sell the 2009 up until April 17th 2009 then launch a 2009 1/2 model year then start the 2010. Makes the 2009 more unique unless their goal is to sell 2010 Mustangs for a very long sales year. I read elsewere the ecoboost motor was going to be used in the Stang. I would love to see Ford entertain the thoughts of 4-6-8 cylinder engines as well as other alternatives. Perhaps we will be seeing the same phylosophy as the SVO brought back soon? To be honest all Ford has to do is drop the Mustangs weight to start becoming more fuel efficient.

Nick

Reply to
ND

Thanks, Nick! I only wish I had more time to post these days.

Not the original but here's a source:

I hope so. But this time it needs to be a budget version, not a high- end model.

I think we're [finally] going to be seeing weight loss being a very big thing in the future, and I for one can't wait to see it happen! We need a V8 Mustang [again] that weighs under 3,000 lbs.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Pink Trim? Is the GLBT Version?

With the current price of fuel, very interesting indeed.

Reply to
Zombywoof

My guess is that Ford is working to increase fuel mileage substantially for all Mustang varieties. I would love to see a twin turbo V-6 option. That would rock and if build strong enough would be a dream engine for after market parts and tuning. I really hope they put the car on a major weight diet.

Reply to
Michael Johnson