Ontario Canadians facing $0.12/litre gas hike in June

When the new amalgamated tax comes into effect. $0.08 will be because of the tax, I figure $0.04 from the oil companies because they always up the price when taxes increase as a kind of bandwagon cash-grab. Thanks Ontario LIBERALS!. $0.12/lite = $0.47/U.S. gallon. Meanwhile, our dollar is on par with the U.S. dollar and we are paying

30% more for gas because of taxes. Pretty soon, almost 40% more. And to add insult to injury, we are a NET EXPORTER of oil! The tax is going to apply to THOUSANDS of items not currently taxed including rent, mortgages, etc. It is estimated the new tax will cost Ontario families between $2000 and $4000 more per year.
Reply to
Rich

I wonder how large this subset is. Think it's worth crossposting to these two different groups?

Think it's worth posting at all?

You should consider moving down to Venezuela. Last I heard, gas was ridiculously cheap there.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

You figure that the gas companies will add $0.04 because of the tax. That's based on your feeling and nothing more. If they do how is it McGuinty's fault?

You don't know how the HST works by the looks of things. Rent, despite your claim, will not be charged HST. (1) Mortgage interest costs are also HST exempt. (2)

"83 per cent of consumer purchases will not see a new tax." (1)

Who did the estimate? Media reports indicate that studies show that the HST will be a wash for most people.

"Ontario's controversial harmonized sales tax is "virtually revenue neutral" and not the cash grab critics say it is, argues a new report to be released Monday.

The report by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives says low- and modest-income families will come out slightly ahead under the Liberals' HST package, which includes increased property and sales tax credits and income tax cuts, while households with incomes above $100,000 will come out just slightly behind." (3)

I emailed the provincial Conservatives in December of 2009. I asked them to provide figures to show that the HST would cause the overall taxes would rise. It is now March and I still have not received a reply.

HST tax increase are offset with cuts to income tax, rebate cheques (I don't like this part of the plan), and help for low income people (sales tax credit, property tax credit, and more people paying no provincial income tax). (4)

Despite all the tax grab shouting it is interesting to note that Tim Hudak has never publicly stated that, as Premier, he will get rid of the HST as soon as possible.

(1) Tax Benefits for Consumers

(2) How are consumers affected by the HST?

(3) HST won't hurt much, report says Published On Mon Dec 14 2009

(4) Tax Benefits for Families

Joe

You take your cues from a LEFT WING rubber stamp for liberal policies??!

Reply to
Liberals are vermin

You must have gotten tired with this reading thing. You didn't go far enough. Here is the part that you so conveniently snipped:

"I emailed the provincial Conservatives in December of 2009. I asked them to provide figures to show that the HST would cause the overall taxes would rise. It is now March and I still have not received a reply."

There ya go.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Many rightists are demanding that the government subsidize gasoline like Hugo Chavez does in Venezuela where the people pay 5 cents a gallon.

Reply to
Broker

Ya, so? Maybe they will not vote Liberal next time. Too taxing of an experience.

Reply to
Canuck57

By who? Who "estimated" that the new tax will cost Ontario that?

Do you right wingers EVER get tired of spewing lies? Harmonized tax will, in most cases, keep the same level of taxation, as we pay GST and PST on most items. There are some items, like books, that did not have PST before. But in most cases it will be the same. And, even if it is true that we will pay 8 cents more a litre of gas, someone consuming 2500 litres a year will end up paying 200 dollars more a year.

You guys have no shame.

Viejo Vizcacha

Reply to
Viejo Vizcacha

It is about as revenue neutral as the GST. How the hell can it be revenue neutral when a whole list of items not taxed before are going to be taxed? It is a provincial Goods and Services tax on top of a federal Goods and Services tax. It defies logic and a one time payoff isn't going to make it logical.

Reply to
E. Barry Bruyea

No I looked at the facts and found out that Rich "don't know shit".

Reply to
Joe

"How the hell can it be

The list of items that won't see a change in tax is a whole lot longer. "83 per cent of consumer purchases will not see a new tax." (1)

As well, cuts to the income tax rate and more rebate programs aimed at the lower level of the income level will help offset any increase. There is also the cheque rebates that are being sent out. (I don't like this part of the plan.)

(1) Tax Benefits for Consumers

Joe

I asked that in the third post in this thread. No one has replied to it so far. Easier to just say it and hope you are not asked to back it up.

Reply to
Joe

It isn't logical. But part of the voting constituancy isn't logical at all or they would see it as the tax grab you and I see and realize it as. Just greedy government at work.

And it will continue until the people don't stand for it any more. They will inch up taxes one little bit at a time until enough people wake up and realize they are tax-slaves and decide to change it.

Reply to
Canuck57

You should look at the numbers, not many quality for lower rates. In fact, it is just inflation applied to the lower 5% for tax deductabiltiy.

The reality is, unless you work part time at McDonnalds, you are tax screwed. Have to feed the Liberal statism.

Reply to
Canuck57

Funny, then how come they are rich and you are stupid poor?

Reply to
Canuck57

Funny you have no idea what is going on. Rich made the original post that was filled with errors. I pointed out the errors and therefore Rich "don't know shit". The rich have nothing to do with it.

Reply to
Joe

I see it now. But really, if you want to comment to Rich then reply to Rich.

LOL.... oh well.

Reply to
Canuck57

Keep in mind that who you are replying to here is similar to "chuckcar" or "Paul"....

Reply to
WindsorFo

While you're at it, remind me why it's showing up in a Mustang group. Eh?

Reply to
Frank ess

There have been 22 postings, about half of which are from right wingers, and we are still waiting for an answer.

VV

Reply to
Viejo Vizcacha