OT - '05 Goat Going To 400 HP

Rumor has it that a _version_ of the '05 GTO will be packing 400 horsepower. Word has it they'll slap the LS6 heads on the LS1 and call the motor the LS2.

Just another escalation of the horsepower wars...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

The pig needed it. Why wouldn't they just use the new C6 engine, it's already going to be rated at 400 horses.

Reply to
WraithCobra

The new GTO gives me mixed feelings. The GTO is hands down my favorite muscle car of all time.

"Hey, nice Camry!.."

*Tire smoke...black stripes, coughing and gagging*

"Wait a minute...this is all wrong!..... That's not a Camry at all!"

GM needs to do with the Goat what Ford did with the 05 Mustang. It LOOKS like a Mustang. That don't look like no Goat to me :(

Jason

Reply to
Jason Mc New

Jason,

Well said. If this version sells well, expect to see another very soon. I've heard within two years -- '06. And I'm sure with a complete redesign (that's what will happen.) our GTO will finally look like a GTO. Stay tuned...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 04:48:13 GMT, "Jason Mc New" wrote something wonderfully witty:

It ain't no Goat, it's a Bloat. I've owned GTO's throughout the years. I have had one of every generation up till it became an option on a Lemans in the garage at one time or another. Yeah, I'm older, BFD. I was excited that GM was going to be adding another pony into the stable after killing off the f-body and leaving the entire market segment open to Ford. To add icing to the cake in was to be a rear-wheel car and not just a badging of a current car.

I went out recently to test drive one of these so-called *New* GTO's. Talk about disappointed. Sure there is some power on tap. But it isn't going to give any of my current modern cars a run for their money in any area. In a word the suspension sucks. The interior is bland and ill fitting. All in all it isn't a car that I will be plunking damn near 40K on the table for. Yeah I know what msrp is, but they are still new and the dealers are in profit taking mode.

GM/Pontiac could have had something had they decided to go with a clean sheet of piece of paper approach using today's modern technology. They had to know what Ford was up to with the Mustang. I guess the Aussie division is a tad behind the power-curve in that area. Horsepower is really nice. However, if I can't keep the car on the road when it is operating at it's power limit, what good is it? I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

First... A head swap alone won't give it 400 hp.

Second... Even if you give the GTO 600 hp, it will still be fugly..

Reply to
Mustang_66

The C6 engine IS called the LS2 and IS rated at 400hp

Rein

No, it's a souped up CAVALIER..hehehe

give me a break. The thing is too heavy, handling is horrible. It's a shame to call it the GTO.

Rein

I'm just waiting for them to make a Buick GS version. This sounds like "Stage 1" to me!!! :)

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

There are suppose to be some visual enhancments for 05 including a dual snokel hood.

probably won't make a major differance, but it won't hurt.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

The car never would have happened at all that way. The whole reason they used the Holden was it could be done for low cost (although the car sure isn't cheap). IMO they are using it to fill a gap in the GM line up left by the F bodies until there real replacement comes along.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:14:45 -0500, "MadDAWG" wrote something wonderfully witty:

I know, I did say could have. :) Anyhow the original Goat wasn't a clean sheet design to begin with anyhow. Matter of fact until it became an option package on another model it was always a build up of a LeMans. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

And the Holden looks nicer/cleaner IMHO.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Does anyone really believe they'll let it match the 'Vette in claimed horsepower output? Not likely... I really considered getting the GTO because I thought the 2005 Mustang wasn't quite looking like I'd wanted. However, that GTO looks like a cross between a Cavalier and what's left of the Grand Prix. No thanks.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Richard,

It's going to happen... there's no doubt. There's just too many rumours of 'enhanced' GTOs.

The 'super' Goat will have more HP than a standard 'Vette, but not more than the 'super' 'Vette, the Z06.

I always say take one for a ride, then decide.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
Patrick

On 25 Feb 2004 18:30:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote something wonderfully witty:

GM has never allowed that to happen in the past. The Corvette is the flagship Sporting car in the GM family. They have always made sure in ruled supreme. Even when they were putting the LS1 in the F-Bodies they de-tuned it to ensure the Corvette held it's #1 title. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

is Mightier than the sword'.

As long as "the past" doesn't include the first 5 or 6 years of the vette, that is. :)

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote

What does a GTO look like? The square-edged '64-'65? The Coke bottle '66-'72? Does it have stacked headlights or side-by-side quads or concealed? Is it the TRULY hideous '73? Or the Nova-Goat '74?

And another thing, 99% of GTO's were all show, no go. If anything, the Holden Monaro deserves an apology for debasing it with this marketing snake oil of a name.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

On 1 Mar 2004 13:45:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (180 Out) wrote something wonderfully witty:

Get a life, For a short period of time in the right hands Goat's dominated. Especially in the big-block era. Ah to still have my

455HO. It would pass everything but a gas station. Talk about torque. The thing would pull stumps.

The worst thing about the tri-powers was keeping those damn triple two-barrels properly set up. One good romp and the damn things would go out of sync. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

For a short period of time in the right hands Goat's

My friend had a 71 455HO. That was the most powerful car I have EVER road in! That thing had the low end torque of a Freight Train with the Horsepower out the guzzooo!!

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
Katmandu