OT: 2008 Challenger SRT8 Pricing

Posted today:

A bit above what an '08 Mustang GT will go for, but the difference buys you

425hp.
Reply to
Joe

One thing we have learned from the GT500 is that MSRP doesn't mean much. I do believe Chrysler will manufacture quite a few of these cars though. Unlike Ford, they are in the business to move product and not create high prices through low production. At that price and with that much hp it definitely gets my attention. It also looks very close to the concept car I saw at the DC Auto Show which is a very good thing, IMO.

I wonder if they intend to put out a base model with a V-6 and a Mustang GT fighter with a smaller displacement V-8. If they move the 6.1L down to 340 CID then they will have a definite Mustang killer on their hands. They need this type of lineup (i.e. a low $20k base and a mid to high $20k V-8 model) to have a chance of seriously digging into the Mustang market.

I have to say that I never thought this car would make it to the showrooms. This is a GREAT development for all us gear heads. IMO, the Challenger coming to market makes the chances of having a VERY GOOD Camaro more of a reality. Then the pressure the two will put on the Ford Mustang will only make that car better. I feel like I'm living back in the late 1960s.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I like you idea of "a bit." In my neck of the woods, more than $10,000 does not qualify as a "bit."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

True. That makes it 50% more expensive that a garden variety Mustang GT. Fortunately it also has 125 hp more so that helps justify the price. All Ford needs to do is build enough GT500s to get their price down to MSPR or a little lower and this car will have some fierce competition. Chrysler can't win a horsepower war with Ford since they have a N/A V-8 engine going up against a V-8 with forced induction. They will also need a garden variety V-8 model to really take a bite out of Mustang sales and to sell the car in volume.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:daudnQ9uPPROY9PanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The Dodge press release towards the bottom has a quote from Jim Press (Chrysler LLC Vice Chairman & President): "The Challenger SRT8 is only the beginning of the story, as we'll soon follow with a complete lineup of Challenger models that will offer a wide array of features and deliver outstanding value for our customers".

Hopefully, this means that the Challenger lineup will be similar to the Mustang's, which would include at least one V6 and two or three V8 models. The 4.7, 5.7, and 6.1 would easily fit. There are supposed to be at least two transmissions as well - an automatic and a manual, both six-speeds.

Indeed.

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:OKGdnccMBv4Jj9LanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Don't know where the "50% more expensive" comes from, but consider this:

A fully optioned Mustang GT comparable to the Challenger stickers for at least $33k (the '08 Bullit _starts_ at $31k), so let's call the difference about $5,000. Considering the cost to up the Mustang's power to 425hp, you're knocking on the Challenger's door. Not to mention that you lose factory warranty for the power upgrade. OTOH, if Ford does the power upgrade so you retain the complete factory warranty, you're over the $5,000 and above the Challenger's sticker.

Considering the marketing blunders that Ford's made in the past (both recent and long-term), I see no reason why they'd handle the GT500 any differently from here on out.

Also, I don't consider the Challenger competion to the GT500 at all. If they want to go there, Chrysler could very well slap a blower on the 5.7 and call it a day.

The garden variety V8 is already here in the form of the 5.7 MDS motor (something else Ford doesn't have - cylinder shut down). For kicks, they could also offer the 4.7 and on down to a V6. So much for volume sales.

One thing's for sure - the next few years will be a damn good time to consider buying a pony/muscle car!

Reply to
Joe

I picked every option I could - even ones I'd never want, and I could only get it to 32K. If I only pick options I think the Challenger will have, I cannot top $30k. I could not find a 2008 GT in the local dealers' inventories with an MSRP over 29k.

Ford sells a lot more V6 Mustangs than V8s. If they sold a 450HP V-8 as a $5000 option, how many would buy it? I am sure there will be a good demand for the 425 HP Challenger when it is introduced. That demand will be satisfied within a year. Then what? I am old enough I can remember the original hemi Cuda's, 440 Challengers, etc. I wanted one, till a friend bought one. They were nose heavy, overweigh, ill handling pigs. I predict the new Challenger will be that as well, but the magazines will love them and all the rich little boys will have to have one so they can impress there friends.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It all comes down to pricing, IMO. They are in the range of what Ford touted the GT500 to be in pricing. My guess is it will be hard to get one of these cars for less than $40k-$45k unless Chrysler builds a bunch of them. Slapping a blower on is easy but most times they don't choose to do it. Ford is one of the few makers that will put one on a V-8 that doesn't come in a car costing six figures.

I figured the 340 CID would bring back memories and allow the marketers to use it like they have the hemi name.

Amen.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

"C. E. White" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Don't know where you were looking, but I easily got the sticker up over

32 and there were still a lot of unchecked option boxes left.

No idea, but the GT500 500hp V8 stickers at over $47k. Compared to the Challenger 425hp 6.1, you're paying around $9,000 more for 75hp in the GT500. Worth it? You tell me.

By then the rest of the lineup should be out, and it will be very interesting to see how everything shakes out.

I'm at least that old as well, and you're right - most cars of that era (including Mustangs, Camaros, and whatever else you want to throw in there) were pigs compared to today's offerings - that goes without saying. But back then, they were great. No way you can tell me you'd have turned one down had it been offered to you.

As for rich boys and magazines, who gives a rat's ass? RWD cars with big V8s are always more than welcome in my world.

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:b9CdnTsvGcD4_9LanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Too bad that turned out to be complete fiction from Ford. ;)

Haven't heard anything that implies limited production yet, but I guess we'll have to stay tuned. If the article was to be believed, people are lining up for the Challenger even more so than the GT500.

True. And the block is killer, as you've pointed out many times. I guess after Chrysler sees how the Challenger 6.1 fits into the marketplace they'll determine if they need to do anything.

Indeed. I'm still waiting for Ford's 427 _pushrod_ motor to appear. ;)

Say Halleleuja! ;)

Reply to
Joe

Well, I hope this Challenger, and the upcoming Camaro, brings Ford back to Earth with the pricing of the Cobra.

I'm sure there is somewhat of a pent up demand for the Challenger. If there aren't enough buyers then the price will come down or the car will be discontinued. I want it to survive and thrive. Competition in our society is a good thing for us lowly consumers.

It will be interesting to see where they go with the upper end Challenger engines in the upcoming years. Ford has raised the bar for absolute power production with the Cobras since 2003. They can dial them in at just about any hp level they choose. This can't be easily done with a N/A engine. Especially one that uses a small block. Displacement is limited ans so therefore is horsepower.

It has appeared in the form of a 351W block stroked to 427 cubic inches. What's old is new again. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Joe,

Dodge says pricing for the reborn muscle car - equipped with a 6.1- liter Hemi V-8, will start at $37,995, including $675 for freight. Because of unprecedented demand and limited supplies, dealers are taking orders months before it goes on sale. Chrysler is expected to build only 5,000 to 6,500 of the limited edition SRT models.

"Unprecedented demand" and only 5,000-6,500... I say no way in the world will you get a 6.1-liter Challenger anywhere near $37K. I wouldn't be surprised to hear you need at least $50K to even be able to talk to a sales person about buying one.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

With automakers only using one series of engine block these days the term small block and big block means nothing. Plus at 377 cubes the new Hemi is bigger than some old "big blocks".

Besides isn't it really about the number of cubes anyways...

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I love that they're building them. But I'm holding back my final judgment until I drive one, read some road tests and find out how much the curb weight is. I'm scared it may be north of 2 tons.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

At least not when there is forced induction involved. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

It is a derivative of the 300C so my guess is it will be close to 4,000 pounds.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

The original Challenger was a heavyweight too.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:f893e3d6-4597-40f8-83d0- snipped-for-privacy@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com:

That could very well be the case. Could be the GT500 all over again. But considering that this is a brand new car, Chrysler better play the marketing thing right, or it could damage the whole line later on.

I think what's really happening is that they're only doing a limited run to gauge the public's reaction, then they'll determine the rest of the lineup later.

Hopefully we'll see a 5.7 Challenger go head to head with the Mustang GT, and a V6 version to compete with the base Mustang. Competition's always a good thing.

Reply to
Joe

"Big Al" wrote in news:474fa5ff$0$10310$815e3792 @news.qwest.net:

The current Charger is around 4,000lb, so I'd imagine the Challenger will come in a tad shy of that given that it's a bit smaller.

Reply to
Joe

Well since the ford and dodge dealers here are next to each other I plan to visit both next week and find out who is willing to deal. Shelby 500 or Challenger 6.1 either way one salesman will have an order The other loses. That is life in the big city.

Reply to
Les Benn