OT: Any US Marines out there?

Question ask by my eldest daughter (dating a Marine)

What does it mean/refer to when someone refers to a Marine as a "Jar Head"

I always thought it referred to their haircut... hell I have two ex-husbands that are Marines.. you'd think I would know!

Thanks :)

Katie

Reply to
SVTKate

Michael Johnson, PE

Here's a link to a discussion on alt.fan.tom-clancy on the subject.

I think the correct answer is from the shape of their headgear on their older uniforms.

The term "leatherneck" comes from a uniform marines wore in the nineteenth century. They wore a peice of protective leather around (you guessed it) their necks.

- Max - ======= "We are simultaneously the most loved, hated, feared, and respected nation on this planet. In short, we're Frank Sinatra, and Sinatra didn't become Sinatra playing down for punks outside the Fontainebleau."

- Dennis Miller

Reply to
Max C. Webster III

I served in the USMC from 1968 until I retired in 1991 and never did hear a definitive answer to "why Jarheads". Why are sailors "Squids" and army soldiers "Dogfaces"?

Reply to
Skunkfeet

Thought I remembered Gunny saying that "jarhead" came from the fact that the older uniforms made the Marines look like their head was "screwed on" hence "jarhead." I could be wrong though, the brain doesn't work like it used to.

bill

64.5: 260, 3 sp, a/c, SVO cam, Performer, Holley 390, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq D's

66: '93 5.0, C4, a/c, ps, Performer RPM, Holley 600, Pertronix, bench seat

Colt SP1,Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

Thank Goodness us Air Force folks are just "Fly Boys" !!

-ERIC Ret. (4-1-03) USAF, MSgt.

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu

No kidding.

Scott Williams USAF SRA '94-'98

Reply to
Scott Williams

Thanks guys. She was happy to hear that it wasn't really some hidden insult.

Kate

| > Thank Goodness us Air Force folks are just "Fly Boys" !! | >

| > -ERIC | > Ret. (4-1-03) USAF, MSgt. | >

| > 89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker | > 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam! | >

| > Check out the Ford Engine Heaven! | >

| > > I served in the USMC from 1968 until I retired in 1991 and never did | hear | > a | > > definitive answer to "why Jarheads". Why are sailors "Squids" and army | > > soldiers "Dogfaces"? | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Wait, I heard it had something to do with the Lobotomy scars? Just kidding!

Reply to
Mike King

M my A ass R rides I in N Navy E equipment

Marine: the sound shit makes when it hits the fan.

USMC: Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper