OT: Barrett-Jackson

I've been watching the live coverage for the last few days. I've been trying to email them with a problem of authenticity on a couple of Chev 409/340 HP engines. Certainly an excersise in futility. Cars shown had a painted air cleaner which isn't correct. I ordered a 63 Impala 409/340 back in 63, and it came from the factory with a chrome air cleaner, chrome valve covers, chrome breather cap and a chrome dip stick. I can't share my knowledge with the folks at Barrett-Jackson - their loss.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

(you can watch live? what channel? our cable only offers the same old, repeated-forever auctions from God knows when)

anyway, all the auction companies are interested in is getting the highest price & commission.....some more legitimate companies may verify issues about the cars, but most are just repeating what the seller says about the vehicle. Some of the taped auctions I catch have knowledgeable commentators - some haven't got a clue. I'm sure no expert on antiques or exotics, but it burns me when they say something totally crazy........or they're creaming over some car that has clearly unauthentic parts or restoration . Like a couple days ago I heard one "expert" explaining how Mercedes owned Studebaker and decided to stop making Packards because the were going to start selling Benzes in the US and didn't want the competition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like watching the muscle car auctions to see all those assorted newly rich "players" getting manipulated out of their money by the professional auction folks......like $2 million for a 'Cuda.......wonder how many pizzas they had to sell or septic tanks they had to clean to make that much?......idiots.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

They've been brodcasting 5 hours a day since Wednesday with the final live show today. They're in Scottsdale, AZ. and I receive it on the Speed channel. They call it live coverage and have made comments about the nice weather there compared to the cold in other parts of the U.S. There have been many one of a kind cars from the GM collection for which a clear title might not be available, and it would be very difficult in most states to license the car for street use.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

yes, heard that many of the GM concept & ex cars were to be sold......and that is has nothing to do with their financial condition (yeah, right)........interesting to speculate how some of those cars will go to museums......others will disappear from sight, only to be discovered in years to come in all stages of preservation: lots of future magazine articles!

(boring side story for those with any interest in Studebakers & Packards: as they were going broke in '56, the Packard folks had designed a line of new models.....an all-new underbody that was to be shared by Packard, Clipper, Studebaker on various wheelbases... all sources say that only one rough "mule" prototype of the Packard version was built, then destroyed when they shut down the factory. Yet, many years later, maybe around 1990, I attended an auction in South Bend......where they sold-off a completely finished, running example of the Studebaker version. don't know who got it....never saw a mention of it in any magazine before or since.....yet it exists somewhere).

consider yourselves lucky to have Speedchannel: I'm in north central Ohio...."Armstrong Cable"......about $45/month for basic which includes no more than TMC, History and the like along with 5 shopping channels........optioned-up with a few premium channels and we pay close to $100.....and most channels you take for granted still aren't available. (so a lot of folks go with dish....unfortunately, I'm in a state forest and can't use)

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Many of the GM cars are concept or movie vehicles and probably don't have emission equipment to make them legal to drive on the street in most states. They're sold with a "scrap" title and will be moved on a trailer to another private museum.

I also considered a dish, but it would have had to be pointed south where we have lots of tall trees behind the house.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

I just switched from cable (Charter who just filed for bankruptcy I hear) and went to DishNet. I have trees (I'm in the north end of California) and mountains, but the reception is great. And it's $20 cheaper to not watch a bunch of garbage channels I never watcjhed anyway. Between religious channels, shopping channels, left wing liberal reporting news channels :0), and on and on and on.... it's outrageous what we pay to get ripped off. And satallite doesn't have miles of cable and fiberoptic lines to maintain (not to mention they still get their feeds via satellite).

Reply to
veegerNOSPAM

When you ordered your car, was that factory chrome or dealer chrome? A lot of dealers back then would swap out the factory painted parts to dress up the cars toi help move them. Thing is, as you point out, a lot of people don't know the difference. They bought it from someone who told them is was all original and they left it at that.

One of my best friends bought a Mustang in 1970. A 67. The dealer had not been able to sell it with the 6 cyl auto. When Jerry got the car, it had a 390, hurst 4 spd, dual exhaust, custome wheels and tires, custom paint, custom stereo, and was still under factory warrantee. Jerry got it for $2600. A week later he had orders to Vietnam and was taking his car home and putting it up on blocks until he got back.

Reply to
veegerNOSPAM

Studebaker might have survived if the public had been ready for pony cars. They had the Hawk, the Commander, and the Avanti showed right at the end when they went bust.

Reply to
veegerNOSPAM

I'm in Minnesota, and in my suburb and some nearby areas, Charter is the only game in town. I have friends 5 miles away who receive cable via Comcast. We'll have to see how this cable thing plays out, and hope for the best.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

Snip>

I think the car was delivered to the dealer with that chrome, but I can't be sure. The chrome was stolen - twice - before I installed a inside the car hood release. I had temporary painted valve covers, etc. while the chrome parts were on order. The 409 valve covers fit perfectly on the 348 ci (same block), and there were many of those cars around. I still have the original window sticker and photos of the car and engine compartment. I thought it would be fun to track the VIN number and find out if the car is dead or alive, but it costs more $$$ than I care to spend. Ah, memories.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.