OT - Computer Networking Help

Quick history; laptop w/wired NIC, home DHCP LAN, everything works fine and I could connect into DHCP LAN at work, surf the net, but of course workgroup was set for home so I couldn't see other computers, didn't want to anyway. Now; installed a wireless router at home, installed wireless NIC, can access home LAN through wireless or wired NIC but wired NIC no longer connects to internet at work. I get an IP, subnet, gateway, ect. from the DHCP server but my system says I'm not connected to 'my' network gateway and therefore not connected to the internet. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
WraithCobra

at 16 Apr 2004, WraithCobra [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news:c5pkhk$4g62d$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-185605.news.uni-berlin.de:

I wonder if your LAN at work has security based on MAC address. Chances are that switching whatever hub/switch/router you used before has a different MAC than your wireless router. You may wish to take this up with your system admin at work, they can check logs and see more detailed info about what is happening. It's hard to determine cause without more detailed info.

I am assuming here that the wired NIC can still access the internet but not the work LAN? As you refer to work as 'work LAN' and 'work internet'.

Reply to
Paul

Are you using a firewall on your side?

I have a cable modem and a 5GT firewall on this side. The first two ports are set to VPN into the office. the other two are set for just internet access. I have a wireless that is plugged into one of my internet ports. I can not see the office through the wireless unless I plug it into the correct VPN port.

Hope this helps. Scott

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

Disable your wireless NIC at work and make your wired NIC your primary connection at work.

Hope this helps!

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

If You change something and a problem happens, then what you changed is the problem.

These other guys were talking about VPNS and firewalls and ect. If that was the problem, he would have had the problem long before he switched to wireless ethernet at home.

Wraith.. did this help?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Wired NIC was not able to access the internet after the wireless NIC install. Thanks for the response but I got it to work by accident. Originally both wired and wireless NIC cards were both installed in same slot (0), only going to use one at a time anyway, and I use the other slot (1) once in a while for a flash memory card or my camera card w/adapter. The fix was to install the network cards into different slots, use the wireless in slot 0 and the wired in slot 1. Works fine wireless or wired on my home LAN and I can access the internet wired at work. I'm not using it 'officially' at work so the LAN don't matter, I just use it for internet radio or to DL videos from the car web forums I read. (work computer has no sound, soon to be replaced due to a company wide upgrade)

Reply to
WraithCobra

Thanks for the response but I got it to work by accident. Originaly both wired and wireless NIC cards were both installed in same slot (0), only going to use one at a time anyway, and I use the other slot (1) once in a while for a flash memory card or my camera card w/adapter. The fix was to install the network cards into different slots, use the wireless in slot 0 and the wired in slot 1. Works fine wireless or wired on my home LAN and I can access the internet wired at work. I'm not using it 'officially' at work so the LAN don't matter, I just use it for internet radio or to DL videos from the car web forums I read. (work computer has no sound, soon to be replaced due to a company wide upgrade)

Reply to
WraithCobra

Thanks but I kinda did this by accident. Originaly both wired and wireless NIC cards were both installed in same slot (0), only going to use one at a time anyway, and I use the other slot (1) once in a while for a flash memory card or my camera card w/adapter. When I reinstalled them, I did it into different slots so I use the wireless in slot 0 and the wired in slot 1. Works fine now wireless or wired on my home LAN and I can access the internet wired at work. I'm not using it 'officially' at work so the LAN don't matter, I just use it for internet radio or to DL videos from the car web forums I read. (work computer has no sound, soon to be replaced due to a company wide upgrade)

Reply to
WraithCobra