OT: Crown Vic to be discontinued

I just read they are ONLY going to sell it to fleet customers.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

It's about the last vehicle left for law enforcement to use.

Reply to
Spike

Well, except for the new Daimler Chrysler offerings...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

"Newer" Daimler/Chrysler as Daimler has sold out. That being said, the Chrysler offerings weren't as well received as the CV, IIRC.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

In NC I am seeing Dodge Chargers and Chevrolet Tahoes being used by the Highway Patrol. I can't see any reason "city cops" aren't just fine with Impalas, or Ford Taurues. There is no excuse for city cops initiating high speed chases on city streets. Even the Highway Patrol has only a limited need for high speed pursuit vehicles.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yeah, well as sound as your logic is, the police departments don't agree! Not only should they NOT be conducting dangerous high speed chases, they shouldn't be doing many things they do. Confiscating private property for direct department gain, for instance.

Come on now, who here can actually come up with a legal & logical argument for CIVILIAN law enforcement organizations having SNIPERS?!

Civilian Law Enforcement has absolutely no legal or moral authority to have, equip and train snipers with the singular purpose of SHOOTING American citizens.

Mind you, I am a honorably discharged Veteran, and Very PRO 2nd amendment, this isn't an anti gun thing, quite the contrary...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

I used to be a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis fan until the simple maintenance items on these things are now basically a dealer only job. (Unless you have a complete day to kill) Ever change a heater core in one of these? When it takes a Ford tech a full day to do one, something is wrong. If the government made Ford put a lifetime warranty on one of these, things would change REAL fast. Yea, I know they do that on purpose so you have to take it to the dealer for a fix. I guess that's part of the problem and why I'll never own one.

Reply to
Kruse

Obviously you never changed a heater core out in an old car. Some have had very simple access panels, others have been a total nightmare, this is not a new phenomenon to the new Crown Victory's...

How often do you change heater cores anyway, the heater core outlasts the car in well over 95% of all my cars... I certainly wouldn't concern myself with it's changing ease in selecting a new car.

As to other general maintenance items, today's cars are light years ahead of older cars, aside from oil and filters, every new car on the road goes well over 100,000 miles maintenance free, that was not the norm years ago.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Southeastern PA... saw a nice new black Charger with black wheels, with the red and blue lights blinking behind the grille, as he had a victim pulled over to the side of the road. That's nasty.

And now I have to look twice...thrice...every time I see a black Charger.

dwight

dwight

Kruse wrote in news:1194045593.836460.240110 @o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

That's not specific to the Crown Vic. It took me 6 hours to change one in my '83 GT. How often do you change a heater core in a car's life? Once? Never?

What's left for the shade tree mechanic to do to these new cars, anyway? Change the plugs every 100,000?

Reply to
elaich

They are driving Chargers and Malibus here.

Reply to
WindsorFox

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:21:01 GMT, "My Name Is Nobody" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Selling weed out of the back of your Mustang get it confiscated or something?

I can.

Apparently they do since any major city I can think of has a SWAT Team. There are plenty of very valid, legal & moral reasons to both have & use what you call snipers. I know of Plenty of American citizens that need to be shot.

No it sounds like the very liberal "Pro-Criminal" thing. The infamous "Only justice in the criminal justice system is for the criminals".

I could care less if any skell ends up with a 7.62 round in the brain-pan while holding some Ma & Pa liquor store owners at gun point to feed their crack habit.

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 16:07:43 -0400, "C. E. White" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Quite a few places that do. I've seen more then one department with Impalas in their fleet. More times then not the argument isn't for the CV for the chases, but for the transport room. Years ago the CHP went to Mustangs as chase vehicles because they rarely needed to transport traffic offenders.

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

Figures this stupid shit would come from a doper. Hopefully the next innocent citizen the local police sniper mistakenly executes prior to due legal process is your ignorant ass...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 06:20:43 GMT, "My Name Is Nobody" wrote something wonderfully witty:

A yes the infamous legal process that every skell engages in prior to transferring your possessions into his at the point of a gun or knife.

Exactly what is it about people like you that makes you care more about the criminal then the victim?

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

Ah, maybe yours, I'm armed and dangerous, he won't be transferring any of my possessions. I'm not an LEO, and I don't need them to "protect" me. As has already been proven and upheld in court, the police are not obligated to protect anyone (or their possessions) ever, period.

You don't have a clue what I care about, and your feeble attempts at misconstruing my statements simple illustrate your dishonesty. Criminals (that's proven guilty in a court of law) deserve much harsher treatment and punishment than they get anywhere in this country, yes even then they get in Maricopa County, Arizona.

I care about our constitution, do you? If you did you would know, every American citizen is INNOCENT until proven guilty in a court of law. Not until they come across one of the many ego deficient under-endowed punks who happens to be working as a cop.

In the United States of America, Civilian law enforcement agencies are not military units, and them behaving as such is unconstitutional.

Offensive "military" operations are outside the constitutional bounds of a "civilian" police agency. A sniper rifle IS NOT a "defensive" weapon, there is no place in Civilian Law Enforcement for snipers, period. If you truly can't understand that you really do every LEO a great disservice speaking on their behalf.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:35:06 GMT, "My Name Is Nobody" wrote something wonderfully witty:

As am I. The courts decision along with many departments to switch from the concept of Policing to prevent crime, to only Enforcing the Laws afterwards is a sad one.

It was you who were both intellectually & conceptually dishonest in your representations.

Unfortunately it isn't just American citizens, but I digress. Sometimes one doesn't need a herd of attorneys, a judge & jury to know who is in the middle of committing a crime. Now I know you would rather let the skell execute the hostage & the prosecute him, but I prefer a little more quicker resolution at lower cost.

No, you've got it bassackwards. Having Military Units act as Law Enforcement Agencies is Unconstitutional.

All depends whom you are defending/protecting with it.

Now in your case if someone is holding a knife to your throat or pistol to your head, I can see your point. No sense in expending the cost of a round. However, if there is an Assassin getting ready to take out the POTUS, I have no problem with using a Counter-Sniper to put a .308 between his eyes. I'm sort of surprised that you actually do. However, I'm not really surprised at your lack of understanding on the subject.

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

Your silly little hypothetical situation does not speak to local civilian police agencies having and using snipers on American citizens. Ya, figures you haven't heard of the Secret Service, that silly scenario is a federal issue, not a local civilian police department issue. Hopefully you will see the light, otherwise you're better off remaining wasted, you obviously have far less understanding of freedom than you think.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Here I was, after reading Big Al's post that Crown Vics would be fleet- only from now on, thinking, how nice, we will no longer have to tap the brakes and wonder whether every CV we see on the road is a cop car. Now we will know! But now if the cops are going to start using Chargers, we'll have to transfer that paranoia to the Charger.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out