OT: Eerie Predictions Of A Katrina-Type Hurricane

Listen to this! It's like listening to the crew and passengers of the Titanic about the possibly of it sinking *before* it hit the iceberg. Notice the date: 2002.

It's two parts, 20 minutes total.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

President Bush speaking: He defended the federal government's response so far to the growing crisis amid urgent pleas for help from stranded victims of the storm in New Orleans. He said the breach of the levees that led to the submerging of much of New Orleans had not been anticipated.

I'm not, by any means, blaming Bush for the government's prior inaction, but I find the statement about the breach of the levees not being anticipated very laughable.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

I did too, and then when ti idea of bringing troops home and spending money to repair the damage was implied, he very quickly said that there was no way .

I have bad words, I will save them because they just don't type out lilke they sound.

Reply to
SVTKate

"SVTKate" wrote in news:LeMRe.5272$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

After viewing the NBC & ABC specials last night, I'm appalled by the ineptitude of the government to help the victims in a timely fashion. Three days after the incident almost total chaos remains.

To say the lesat, it was embarrassing to watch Bush ask the victims to have patience while people died in the streets.

Reply to
Joe

Well, there's no defending it. But wait until the whole story gets put together.

Turns out FEMA and DHS picked a disaster scenario to run a drill on in

2004... and yep, the exact one!

So all the FED State and City agencies had already gone through the drill and had the response planned.

But someone dropped the ball, and it wasnt just FEMA. Sorry... you dont get to hang Bush on this one either.. even though FEMA should have been more proactive on it and figured this would happen

But much or most of the problem is that there is -still- no coordination between the Guard, FEMA and City. There is noone running the show... evidently NO and LA thinks the FED is gonna just come in "guns blazing." and take care of things.

And then there's this:

[quote]"If a hurricane comes next month," says Ivor van Heerden, director of Louisiana State University's Center for the Study of Public Health Impacts of Hurricanes, "New Orleans could no longer exist." end quote That was published 6 weeks ago.. read the whole thing

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns96C6EA58C802pettyfogery@207.115.63.158:

Been reading the papers every day. Haven't seen a single story yet that hasn't criticized the feds yet.

FEMA is a joke of an organization. The current administration has ripped it to shreds and left it totally inept.

Too bad FEMA and the feds had nothing but rhetoric to offer the victims.

Agreed. Bush himself even admitted that "the results are not acceptable", which is a direct quote.

A beautiful example of the denial of the ineptitude of the current administration.

If a disaster like this isn't right up FEMA's alley, then what the hell is? What does the freakin acronym stand for, BM? You seriously expect a city that just got wiped out to have to follow some sort of bureaucratic protocol to obtain help for its people dying in the streets? FEMA was/is asleep at the wheel, and it fell asleep under the Bush administation shortly after 9/11. It never ceases to amaze me how deep some people bury their heads in the sand to avoid real issues.

If anything, that article indicates how (a) the Army Corps of Engineers screwed up New Orleans and (b) the lack of any preparations by anybody for a predicted hurricane.

The bottom line is that the feds screwed up big time.

Reply to
Joe

But it's true. See, any or all of the levee breaks *could* have happened at *any* time. Like during a heavy rain storm. I blame the Louisiana politics for not doing something about it much sooner.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

This seems to be a big part of the problem. Someone needs to step up and take command of the whole shootin match. I heard someone say, "Yeah FEMA screwed up, but Ray Nagin is no Rudy Juliani

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Point 1.... The governors and other politicos in LA, MS region have all said that they have been in continuous contact with the federal agencies (initiated by the feds) and whatever they have asked for they have received.

Point 2.... Not long before the attack on pearl Harbor, the military conducted an exercise scenario in which a foreign "Asian" power attacked in the early morning hours on a holiday. Look what happened anyway.

Point 3.... According to the US Army Corps of Engineers, the levees were built and reinforced through two centuries, and the last phase provided protection up to Category 3+.

Point 4.... The people who live along the Gulf Coast have always known that they live in a region where this could happen. They have been warned for decades to be prepared. The people of new Orleans have always known and been constantly warned of the risk of living in a bowl. They have been continuously been advised to stockpile food, water, etc. They have not done so, even though a large number of them went through the same type of flooding in, IIRC 1965. They had the same kinds of problems then.

In 1980, I was the head cop on duty when a 7.6 earthquake struck, and it was my task to direct recovery operations until bigger wigs than mine showed up. I know first hand that all the checklists and exercises, and preparations in the world go out the window when it finally happens. When power, and communications, and transportation are shut down, you do the best you can with what you have at hand. Just as some New Orleans cops ran off looters from a car lot and then commandeered vehicles from the lost because the official vehicles were under water.

I do not discount the misery the people are enduring, but when are people going to take some responsibility for their own survival? When are they going to realize that a natural disaster can and will happen, and that they must be ready for it? That they will not be rescued before the 5 o'clock news.

All this finger pointing is ignoring the fact that getting to and rescuing/evacuating tens of thousands of people, providing them with transportation, food, shelter, medical aid, etc, is not as easy as some seem to think. It takes time to recall the National Guard and Reservists, and assemble them, assemble the supplies, and all the other details necessary to get the convoys moving. I find it rather disgusting that rumors have been spreading that GWB has refused all offers from foreign countries to assist. That is bogus according to the many countries who are offering aid, from Europeans offering fuels, to third world tsunami victims sending money....

As for agencies like FEMA, too many people count on agencies pulling their butts out of the fire, when they have done absolutely nothing to help themselves.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

"WindsorFox[SS]" wrote in news:6%lSe.1808 $nq.1429@lakeread05:

response

stranded

That's flat out crap.

It figures you'd say something moronic like that.

Reply to
Joe

I couldn't have said it better myself. No one but no one, is better able to look out for you and your family than you. Big government cannot nor should you expect it to assume that responsibility.

IMO New Orleans should not be rebuilt in it's present location. With global warming (a natural phenomina not man made or induced) low lying coastal areas will be at extreme peril due to rising ocean levels.

Choose to live wherever you want but do so being aware of the inherent dangers in that location. That is your responsibility to yourself.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" wrote in news:uctSe.363475$5V4.352813@pd7tw3no:

Good deal. We as a nation can count on the fact that we won't have to spend any money on Richard's household if we encounter another castrophe in his neck of the woods.

While we're at it, let's write off New York and Los Angeles too. They're certainly in extreme peril as well.

Thank you for the Enlightemnemt. Pray tell, where are the Safe Places to Live? We're all waiting with baited breaths...

Reply to
Joe

Hmmm...I'm sure glad this is a NG. If you have "baited breath", I wouldn't want to talk to you, face to face.;-)

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

You're an idiot and by your own admission a troll. You are Not here and have probably never been here and do not have a clue WTF you are talking about. A barge could have gotten loose at ANY time, it did not need a hurricane to break free and cause dmaage. Any big rain storm could have caused any other breech, it is commoin knowledge, but again, you are not here.

It figures you would find something accurate moronic. Again you are by your own admission a troll and by character a troll who is also clueless about the subject at hand. It is not surprising because you have a habit of making comments on a lot of things you have zero information about.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

The biggest problem occirred when Blanco did not ask for what was needed when she should have asked.

Yep, more proof that La politics has known for quite some time that work was needed, yet they did nothing.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I wouln't expect you or society to do so. It's my responsibility to carry insurance. Why should anybody expect other to bail them out. Sure disaster relief has its place but I have a hard time understanding someone's position that if the unthinkable happens that government should bail them out.

They are indeed. So what do you do if you choose to live there. You take the advice of the experts and prepare yourself for that fateful day. I think the term is "emergency preparedness"

Never said there were any safe places. All I am saying is take responsibility for your choices. If you choose to live on a hillside don't be surprised or blame others when the rains come and your house is gone.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

That's a remarkably stupid idea, when you consider LA and Frisco with their Earthquakes, fires and mud slides. Also, it is quite obvious that anyone who makes this comment is relying on National news sources and CNN and Fox for their information. There is more dry area than wet and it is not total distruction as many people think. DirectNIC is still up and online. Unless you get our local radio and TV stations you do not have a totally accurate view of the situation.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

What!! I was only making the observation that to live on ground below sea level in a coastal area subject to hurricanes and other natural risks has its perils. If in your opinion New Orleans should be rebuilt on ground below sea level that's fine but why would you want to take that risk again. If that's a stupid idea so be it.

Richard

--

Reply to
Richard

"WindsorFox[SS]" wrote in news:oNtSe.1829$nq.621@lakeread05:

LOL! You might want to read a newspaper sometime.

Reply to
Joe

"Richard" wrote in news:LVtSe.73201$Hk.19452@pd7tw1no:

With this logic, we're all doomed by the fact that we live on the planet.

Reply to
Joe