OT: Eerie Predictions Of A Katrina-Type Hurricane

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns96C84FE0FBAEDpettyfogery@207.115.63.158:

Indeed. Based on what's come out so far, the feds have proven themselves to be bungling idiots.

Rather presumptuous of you, BM, wouldn't you say?

That's a good start.

Reply to
Joe

"Richard" wrote in news:Z1LSe.82122$Hk.70268@pd7tw1no:

Those people are idiots, but they're still human beings that deserve a chance to live should a disaster strike.

Here's where we disagree. Agencies like FEMA exist to help those who suffer as a result of disasters such like we've just seen. One of the things that makes this country great is its policy of helping those in need. If we as a country are going to help the unfortunate, we'd better live up to our mantra with actions rather than just posing for photo ops and making excuses.

Sort of.

Reply to
Joe

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

Hate to be the one to tell ya, but FEMA has been a joke for a lot longer than that.

As with nearly every government agency, they are begun with the best of >Wrong again. The _biggest_ problem was when FEMA was basically ripped

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

FEMA's been a joke since the post-9/11 "reorganization".

Spike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

federal

"Asian"

living

transportation

absolutely

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Exactly. Just as TV and radio media, if it's not one of our local papers it's not necessarily accurate. I'm going to put the word on a couple of forums to see if anyone can dredge up Erik D or information from him.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

[...]

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Good point! But I'm just a lowly programmer/analyst writing software such as what you might use. Does that qualify me? ;)

Reply to
Joe

...and it's a shame. There are so many entertaining programs to watch. :)

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Just because the media is critical of the feds, does not mean that the feds are wrong. FEMA... federal emergency MANAGEMENT agency.... Management by nature follows a set protocol. The flow of whatever follows this plan: local towns use their own stock, then get replenishment from the county/parish, then from the state, then from the feds. That is how FEMA has worked for many years, it's not a new system. What's new is that this time the local screw up was many years in the making, and the local party has been shown to be the weak link.

The problem is that the FEMA by its setup CANNOT just come in 'because it needs to', the local government needs to follow its emergency plan and notify the State government. The state representative needs to notify the FEMA what it has done to follow the emergency plan and what assistance it needs to replenish its storehouse based on how it has implimented the disaster plan. In the current situation, the failure to have anything from the feds is the result of the MAYOR not following the plan, which apparently was just "tested". The MAYOR's refusal to utilize school busses to evacuate the city, because Greyhound busses were more comfortable, caused the deaths of many people. While it can be said that FEMA's inaction has allowed the victims to die waiting to be rescued, why isn't it pointed out that those same people were not evac'd prior to landfall. If they weren't there, they would not have been trapped........

Reply to
Eric G

Just as the US military did regarding an attack on Pearl Harbor long before the Japanese attack.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

"Eric G" wrote in news:Cq2dnWFf4e9Sa7XenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Well, since Dubya himself said so...

And they failed miserably doing what they were supposed to. The only thing that FEMA can MANAGE is that they manage to screw up most of their activities.

The locals weren't perfect, but the feds were certainly at least as screwed up.

That's all been pointed out as well as both parties (feds and locals) having failed at a lot.

Bottom line is that FEMA was and is a bozo organization. Hopefully they'll get their act together with their new leadership.

Reply to
Joe

That's not how the post I replied to came across. There is a difference between "the media says this" and "the President says this".

How exactly did they fail to replenish the stock requested by the Governor on behalf of the Mayor, when the Governor DID NOT REQUEST the replenishments, Which BY LAW they must do? For that matter, how do you replace things that weren't used in the first place?

Because THEY FOLLOWED THE RULES ? Every emergency service leader knows how FEMA works. As well as the proper chain of events. Just because a certain genius wanted his citizens evac'd by greyhound is not an excuse to let 1000 school busses get destroyed, nor allowing the evacuation plan to fall through. Had the PREDETERMINED EMERGENCY RESPONSE PLAN been followed, there would not have been the need for FEMA to do as much as they have been asked to do. The latest one I heard is that the feds weren't quick enough to remove the victim's bodies. That has always been a local level responsibility, and the Governor with the help of the media, is trying to make it seem like FEMA is dropping the ball. Again, the correct organization to do local level things is NOT, nor has it been in the past, a FEDERAL responsibility.

What EXACTLY have the Feds truly failed to do? What have they refused to send, following the proper channels, when asked by the proper agencies?

The fact that emergency workers were told not to respond unless officially requested is based on the fact that in an emergency scene, regardless of the size and scope, accountability of all responders is a primary concern. If an unauthorized worker is injured, there is no way of knowing that it has happened, and if the person dies as a result...Who would be responsible? Whose insurance company would pay?

The reason that "real property" wasn't 'confiscated' and pressed into service is so that an accurate paper trail can occur to guarantee the owner(s) of said property can be fairly compensated as required by the Bill of Rights. Just for kicks, do a little research on the NIMS class, pretty much standard training for Emergency Service folks, nationwide. It'll explain the concept of local responsibility as compared to federal responsibility. Better yet... The US Constitution pretty well spells out the responsibilities of the feds. Which section says that the Executive branch is responsible to send anything to the states when a disaster occurs?

Eric G

Reply to
Eric G

Eric, Dubya himself admitted that the feds screwed up. Or are you in denial?

"Eric G" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Joe

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

I'm not sure why I missed this post until now. You don't want lumped in with us. We are just a little above lawyers, used car salesmen and those evil people that pinch babies just to see them cry. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE