OT: Ford Focus = Fun Fun Fun

As some of you may have noticed, my family added a Focus ZX3 to our stable. While I'm not a fan of FWD, I have always liked the styling of the Focus, especially the little ZX3 hatch. When it came time for a little commuter, I just had to take a look/drive. Well, I quickly found out why it made Car & Driver's 10 Best list 5 years in a row. The Focus is one fun little car! It handles extremely well, and the steering is so direct it feels like a go-cart. So if you find yourself in the market for a fun little run-about, take a serious look at a Focus. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Patrick '93 Cobra '03 Focus ZX3

Reply to
NoOption5L

you are sure a retard take a GOOD look in that ford employee parking lot ya wont see a tech drive one

i would not drive it hard either front halfshaft bearings are not that great and get noisey really quick rear wheel bearings are FOCKED and have had tsb after tsb after recall after recall front brakes and rotors wont last ya 20000 km

struts creak and dont forget the shock abosorber recall

yup ya did good pat

h u r c a s t

Reply to
alicecooperrules12

I rented one for awhile a couple years back. I felt like a 3 year old, riding in the seat of a shopping cart. Too high! I got scared going around corners at any speed. But I will admit that many of the former econoboxes have improved.

Reply to
RichA

Hurc,

You know the drill. Blow me.

Patrick '93 Cobra '03 Focus ZX3

Reply to
NoOption5L

not to much has changed on the focus and with those faulty rear bearings i would not corner fast

Reply to
alicecooperrules12

The one we have is equipped with 205/50s mounted on 16" aluminum wheels. It loves the corners.

Patrick '93 Cobra '03 Focus ZX3

Reply to
NoOption5L

One good thing about the car is the warranty. I'm a little tall to ride comfortably in one or I'd consider one myself when buying a new car since I drive a little ways to work. Here's a little advice to anyone checking the rear drum brakes on one of these cars: It's almost impossible to take off the dust cap without ruining it. And the drum is an intigrated part of the whole assembly. Weld a nut on the dust cap and pull off the dust cap with a slide hammer. You still might distort it a little bit, but put a small bead of silicone around the dust cap to keep the moisture out. If you don't weld a nut on the dust cap you can almost certainly distort the cap every time you take it off. Any the rear brakes should be check more frequently than other cars because there isn't too much there. My $.02. BTW, a lot of Ford techs are required to check the brakes every time a vehicle is in the shop. But most Ford techs won't touch the rear Focus drum brakes unless they have to.

Reply to
Kruse

Thanks for the info, Kruse!

Another option is just going to a place like Midas and pay them for their brake job with the life-time warranty.

Patrick '93 Cobra '03 Focus ZX3

Reply to
NoOption5L

What type of MPG numbers are you getting? Gas on my `05 F-150 is starting to eat me alive. Love the truck, but at 17 MPG it is a tad expensive as a commuter.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZommbyWoof,

How's 32 mpg sound?