OT: Goodbye, Ronald Reagan.

You will be missed (at least by some of us).

Your journey has ended, I hope your destination is fitting for a man of your stature.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Hated his politics, hated his philosophy, HAted what he did to America, but wouldn't wish what happened to him to happen to anyone.

I hope his family can find peace now.

Steve

Ralph Snart wrote:

Reply to
steve

Didn't care for him at all, but I have several family members who had Alzheimers and it's a horrible way for family to see a loved one die.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

I personally don't think that we've had any President subsequent to Reagan that had the character or stature he did. Former Mayor Rudy Guiliani (sp?) referred to him today as the President for the second half of the 20th century, and I would agree. What Reagan said, he believed steadfastly, regardless of the politically correct agenda. Economic prosperity, the end of a decades-old Cold War, and a real sense of positive national pride were hallmarks of his tenure. Until the advent of 9/11, the fear of any threat against the U.S. was next to nil, and I would personally attribute that to Reagan's efforts. It amazes me how quickly people can forget how looming that threat was only two decaded ago. And he sure as HELL didn't diddle any intern with a cigar in a back room while the Chinese filled his re-election coffers, the economy went to Enron hell, and Hollywood sycophants stained the sheets in the Lincoln bedroom.

"We begin bombing in five minutes..."

Rest in peace, Mr. President. Some of us STILL believe that it's morning in America.

RayS

2001 Mustang GT BULLITT #3320

Reply to
RayS

He's "teflonized" for eternity now.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Gill

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:10:38 -0700, steve wrote something wonderfully witty:

Interesting, that is not an opinion held by many. He was credited for several major accomplishments during his tenure at the top. I truly do believe he and his philosophies were what was responsible for the economy that most give Clinton credit for. Most also give him credit for ending the cold war as well. The downfall of the Berlin wall & the USSR were good things in my book. The misadventures in South America & the funding of Osama & Saddam weren't all that great of ideas though.

I think that sitting in the big chair is a bitch of a job that I wouldn't really want, although I think I have some ideas that would be great for the country. It is bad enough that I have people second-guesing me at work because everyone that owns a PC thinks they are a computer expert. Being POTUS has to be one of the most thankless jobs in the world. It is totally impossible to make everyone happy. Hell what good is being the most powerful man in the world if you can't even get a hummer out of it?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 18:52:54 -0700, "Cindy" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Really, why not? Most people who have met him, or worked with him say he was a really nice guy, a down to earth gentleman of the old school. To me he was one of the most easiest of Presidents to understand when he gave speeches.

I have a couple of friends in the Secret Service who I got to know when I worked in the White House Communications Agency. They usually agree that he was one of the easiest Presidents to work an assignment with. No "I'm better then you are" attitude or defiance of their security practices. They say he was a very kind, amiable and sincere man.

Most of them really did not care working with Clinton or his wife. Nothing to do with politics, just as people.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

That was beautiful---I couldn't have said it better...

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Good post. Whether you agreed with him personally or politically you always knew exactly where he stood on the issues and what his beliefs were. I think this got him many votes from people who didn't agree with all his political views but liked his straight forward approach to communicating his ideas.

Yesterday I had to expla> I personally don't think that we've had any President subsequent to Reagan

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE
** I personally don't think that we've had any President subsequent to Reagan ** that had the character or stature he did.

I agree. I didn't think much of his economic theories, however, the quality of his character was top-drawer. I have always admired the way he worked with Russian leaders on human rights issues, much like Truman and Churchill did. He valued honesty, hard work, and a good woman. He didn't deserve the brain-wasting disease that took his life and robbed him of his dignity during his golden years.

Mission accomplished. Rest comfortably, Mr. President. We will miss you.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

I liked him. Didn't always agree with him. I think he was losing it while still in office as evidenced by what he said about his knowledge of Iran-Contra.

Many "leaders" get history handed to him. In many ways that was the case with Reagan. The "evil empire" was in it's death throes regardless of US policies but he gets the credit. That's fine.

The best thing about him was his capacity to inspire the country. That's a huge part of the job of the president, or of ANY leader of ANY group. He did it well. It seemed to come naturally to him.

If you read his Farewell speech when he left office you can get a sense of the man again. Then compare that to how the current shrubbery in the white house comes across in their actions and words. I believe that if Reagan had not suffered from Alzheimer he would have been aghast at what Bush has done to this country. You can tell just from the way Reagan talks about freedom and reduced gvt control in his speeches.

Some of you may recall Barry Goldwater who died several years ago. He was a similar person who not only had principles (and again, I didn't agree with all of them) but he followed his principles like Reagan did and wasn't the hypocrite so many people in elected office are, saying they are all for freedom but when it comes crunch time they are all to willing to sell the people out.

There are few in politics that will ever rise to the PERSONAL stature either of these men had. Clinton could have, although not as high, but he threw it away for a BJ. Shrub never will. McCain will have some small recognition. Reagan will probably be the standout when people look back 50 years from now.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

The "Great Communicator"... moniker fit him to a tee. One of the few Presidents you'd tune in to just so you could hear him speak.

This is open to debate. He tripled the national debt. It was more like spend, spend, spend like there ain't no end.

You can bet there were many Presidents before Clinton (like Kennedy?) who fooled around. It was just that Clinton got {setup and} caught.

hell, and Hollywood sycophants stained the sheets in the Lincoln bedroom. All the Presidents have dirt. It just who's type of dirt appeals to you more.

American optimism makes the world go round...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

What do you think Reagan would have done differently than Bush after

9-11? I w> >
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Well Patrick I think all president lie this one just did it so often that he lost the ability to identify what was important enough to lie about and what was not. For instance you'll remember travel gate, it is the presidents perogative to place people in those jobs as they please but this guy and his bitch wife instead of just replacing them decided to destroy them personally. That is the difference.

Enron > hell, and Hollywood sycophants stained the sheets in the Lincoln bedroom.

Reply to
DDB

I don't think I'd write off GW yet because I recall that most of the world had and shared the same opinion of Reagan as they now show and say about Bush. The bottom line it is not what they say now that matters it is how they regard you in 20 years and I think that is because it takes that long for the impact of your tenure to be known. GW's leadership in the war on terror is a potential area where he may yet shine.

Reply to
DDB

Well I doubt that because as we are finding out many of the worlds leaders and certainly the leadership of the UN was on Saddam personal payroll. It's hard to convince folks to come along when they are going to have to get off the gravey train.

Reply to
DDB

This is a valid point. Plus Reagan would have to deal with partisan political situation today he didn't have in the 80's. Personally, I think Ronnie may have been more proactive from a military standpoint than Bush. Through his terms he never had a problem pulling the trigger.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Almost everything starting with the speech right after the event. Bush's speech, delivered while looking like he was about to shit his pants, amounted to.. .. things will never be the same .. prepare to give up your freedoms ... now lets go invade someone at random.

Reagan's speech would have been delivered by someone who appeared to be strong and in control and would have said... ... this country will never be broken by terrorists ... we are going to continue living our lives as free people free from terrorists ... we will hunt down these people and eradicate them (and he would have NOT meant going to Iraq when none of the terrorists were from there)

The tone of Reagan's speech would have remained upbeat unlike Bush's which basically was a woe is us. Bush said exactly the wrong things if he was interested in maintaining this as a free and open country. Of course, if his desire was to set the stage for people to give up more of their rights and freedoms and let the gvt take on ever greater control of our lives, then he said the right things for that.

I wonder what his response would have been to the invasion of

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

I grew up with President Reagan as the governor of my home state. When I turned 18, he was the first president I voted for. I would be glad to have another candidate just like him, so there would be someone worth voting for once again. I believe he was one of the best presidents that this country has ever had.

My prayers go out to the Reagan family.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate