OT: Need some wiring help.

Before anyone tries to get all ethical on me about what I want to do, my reasons are legit and justifiable.

I am going to disable my brake lights on my 96 Honda Passport and my friend's 2000 Dodge p/u.

Am I correct that I need only wire a toggle switch in with a on/off position? Simply breaking the existing line and wiring it through the toggle switch so that while it is in the "on" position the brake lights work, is how it would be done right?

Thanks,

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

"2.3Sleeper" wrote in news:bqjc99$21q2ot$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165082.news.uni-berlin.de:

OK, I'll bite. It's for tailgaiters, right?

Joe

My guess would be no brake lights at night for getting away from races without giving yer position???

Gumby619

$235.00 to replace passenger rear bearing??? Can I afford this car???

Reply to
Gumby619

You could do that or just take out the lightbulb

If you dont mind me asking what would be the reasons for this?

Reply to
John Wiebalk

Another reason is to be able to apply the brakes after passing a cop without telegraphing it back to the cop. I swear they look to see if you apply the brakes many times before they decide to turn around and pull you over.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Go ahead and give us your reason. Just for grins and giggles.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

hmm could you apply the emergency brake for this instead?

Reply to
Punch

You are correct. Find the brake light switch's output wire, cut it, install your interrupter (single pole single throw) switch there. You may want to install a double pole single throw switch instead and have the other pole go to a surreptitiously hidden light ( find an unused warning light in the dash etc), this would be to remind you your "stealth" mode lighting is operating as it will light up instead of your brake light.

StuK

BTW I don't want to know what your doing with it....that way I'm not liable ;^)

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Stu,

A single pole double throw would work fine for that, if you can find one. They're less common than the standard DPDT switches. Wire the brake output wire to the middle of the switch, run one side of it to the brake light and one to your aux light. Get one that doesn't stop in the middle unless you want both to be shut off.

But Don, now we're all curious... lol... ;-)

JS

have the other pole

dash etc), this

Reply to
JS

The trouble with that is the emergency brake only uses the rear brakes which aren't the best for a rapid slow down or stop.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You could simply not speed...

Joe

Thanks Joe, I just blew a mouthful of coffee all over the computer screen. LOL

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That's what you get for reading this crap early in the morning. ;)

Joe

We both want to be able disable our brake lights while we are doing security.

That is our reason.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Ah, so _that's_ what it's called now. "Security". ;)

"2.3Sleeper" wrote in news:bqm60s$2361o4$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165082.news.uni-berlin.de:

Reply to
Joe

Actually the rocker switches you get for fog lights are often this config. Regardless. I really just wanted to get the point across that you should have some indicator that will remind you that your brake lights are defeated as you drive blithely down the road.........%^O StuK

Wire the brake output

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Sounds like a good reason to me. Don't want to alert anyone.

For an indicator light, you could always use a a 10K resistor and a red LED shining into the footwell or something just to alert you but not everyone else in the world that your brakelights aren't on. This will put the LED below its maximum current. If that's still too bright, try a 22K resistor. That should cut the light output to probably 1/3 but you'll still see it at night with no other lights on.

JS

Reply to
JS

What kinda security?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

He can't tell you. If he does, he'll have to kill you.

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Reply to
<memset