OT New C6 'Vette

Has everyone seen the photos? Now with a 6-liter motor. And the next Z06 is rumoured to have 427 cubes. So you know the Mustang GT/Mach1/Cobra will have to get more powerful/faster too. No wonder Ford is playing around with a possible V10 Mustang.

Vette pics:

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I'm in love! That thing is bautiful. I can't wait to see one in person.

Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Rein

Since SVT said the Corvette is in it's crosshairs after the demise of the F-bodies.

Reply to
Keith

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Never mind the photos - have you seen the new Chevy TV commercial with the car carrier? I think they started airing last night.

Joe

SVT won't have a problem in the power department.... but those improved cupholders on the vette will require an engineering miracle to overcome.

In all seriousness this is an apples to oranges comparison. I'd like to see, in print, where SVT had the Corvette in its crosshairs.

Reply to
Mustang_66

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Joe) wrote in :

Yes, I had to laugh at the portrayal of the SSR. They tried to make it look like it's a real hot rod, but according to everyone who has tested it (Motorweek, Car & Driver, etc.), it's overpriced, overweight and underpowered. No, thanks!

-- JimJ

2003 Dark Shadow Gray Lightning
Reply to
Jim J

I guess it's ok ... if you're into that sort of thing.

I have never really liked the Vette, we always called them a "penis car". It was what middle aged men bought.... when they couldn't.

I respect the horses, but I still think the Mustang has more style and character. You can't always be the fastest. Look at my 98, she is a big Ho Hum compared to the newer models, but that doesn't make her less appealing to me than a Vette or even an '03 Cobra.

Hell, most people wouldn't know what to do with all that horsepower anyway (myself included) . Haven't you ever noticed, most Vettes are driving in the slow lane behind the truckers doing 55? It's pathetic. I suppose they are avoiding the law but I have RARELY ever seen anyone really open one up and let it run down the highway.

Kate

SVTKate (mobile)

I have loved vettes since before I was born, so I guess I am in to that sort of thing :) This one looks absolutely fantastic in my opinion, I want one bad. I felt the same way the first time I saw a gen 1 lightning and now I have one, so hopefully one day i'll have a vette!

I could figure out a thing or two to do with all that power ;)

Yeah, that really aggrivates me too. Those cars were meant for speed, not old guys driving less than the speed limit! They were meant for someone like, well, someone like me :) .02 Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

and the difference in price ???? Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Colletti has said the Cobra _will_ head up-market and will compete with the Vette. And if the Cobra needs to compete with the new Vette, that means it'll have to get a boost in horsepower, especially since the new Mustang is rumoured to be heavier than this current version. So if the Cobra gets a boost in HP, than you know the Mach 1 and GT will also get a one to fill the gap. And the GT will for sure. There's a 3-valve near 300 horsepower 4.6 version on the way.

Plus, speculation has it the V10 'Stang that's been featured in every auto magazine is the next R model. If not the next R, I'd guess it's going to be an upcoming Shelby Mustang.

There's a horsepower war going on folks, if you're not packing enough you'll get left behind... Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

And this is a fact, Jack!

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

And the Vette driver's are probably pitying the poor souls who can't afford one.

Damn, I'd love to own 'Vette!

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Although my first choice is a Z06, I remember when they first proposed the "notchback" idea. I really liked the idea, they were going to cut back all the luxury perks and make it very "NoOp'ish". Of course the vette owners couldn't stand for non leather with manual accessories. None the less, I'd like to have one of the earlier notch vettes if I couldn't have a Z06. Interesting that the only notches for the last couple of years were only Z06's.

Did they ever make a Z06 that didn't use that notched rear window? I don't think so. There's a black Z06 down the street at a lot. I pass by every day on the way to work.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

All of the Z06's are hardtops. You can't get the 405 hp motor in the coupe and convertible.

Reply to
Mark Jones

I love the new C6.... of course my reasons why are different than most.

Once the C6 comes out, C5 prices will drop like a stone, and that Z06 becomes even more affordable for some average Joe like me. I don't care about penises, wealth or any of that, but the Z06 is one seriously wicked fast ride. Maybe the Cobra is supposed to compete with it, maybe it isn't. The Cobra can hang in the power department, but not in the curves. The Z06 is truly a world class sports car at an American price, and if used prices drop like I think when the C6 is out, I'll be tempted and trying harder to get one. I'll take a black Z06 and start throwing bolt on LS1/6 mods at it and have 500 N/A hp with ease.... Oh yeah. Screw Mustangs.... here Ferrari.... here Lambo..... here Viper.... I wanna play with the big boys.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

I've ridden in a few, and they're awesome performers. But I don't honestly think I could bring myself to drive around in a car that costs $50-grand. It would only take one dumbass running a stoplight in a $300 Yugo to ruin it all for me.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

The biggest reason I will never own a Corvette (besides price) is the absence of a rear seat. At least I can take my friends in a Cobra! The Corvette just isn't interesting to me for that reason alone. It is a beautiful car, though.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

I have to agree there. A back seat is very nice to have. Of course, my Miata doesn't have a back seat, but I make do with it. One of my good friends has a C4 'Vette I get to drive ocassionally. I really like it with the exception of the truck like shifter. The C5 is worlds better.... in every aspect. I'd love to have a Z06, and maybe soon after grad school I'll be able to afford one.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

Thank goodness for insurance huh? Sure the premiums are outrageous so it seems, but if your 'Vette gets mangled by a Yugo, you know it'll get fixed or you'll get a new 'Vette..... Never ever forget to pay your insurance unless of course you can afford the consequences.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S