OT New C6 'Vette

Kinda reverses the old "load and go" process, huh?

Reply to
John

Is that the yellow truck thing I saw in the commercial? Yuck! Why all of this 1950s styling in overpriced cars? IMO it is ugly. So was the new thunderbird (just not as ugly). Are they going after Grandpa's pocket book? I can't wait 'till they style after the late 1960's muscle cars. That'll be more desirable to me.

Remember those bulbous 1950's kitchen appliances? Yuck! John

Reply to
jriegle

I took a ride in a Z06 and man can that thing flat out hull. It is fairly quiet until you jam on it. The exhaust system really growls. It is a nice car, but it is not for me. The price of admission is way too high.

John

Reply to
jriegle

::delurks::

as a fan of both the mustang and corvette (the original dream car because i wanted to be just like my big brother ^_^), i'll defend both of them.

it does bite that whenever i turn my head to check out who's driving the sexy red Z06 next to me, that its some balding "old" guy (spare me the flames, i'm 19, and any male over 23 right now is too old for me) trying to relive their hotrod years, if they ever existed. sad thing is, i bet my bro gets the same looks, even though he's had a vette since he was 19.

and i have seen a Z06 rip it up on the highway, i was in it actually... although when you cruise at 120 and can't tell because its such a sweet ride, it don't think that qualifies as "ripping it up" (you can tell when you hit 105 in a focus).

I wouldn't call your 98 ho-hum kate... i'd love to have a 98, i actually like the 95-98 body better than the 99s, although the newer ones have grown on me.

oh yes... happy new year, and may it be filled with lots of go fast goodies for everyone ^_^

Reply to
Snowy Rose

Uh oh, the lurkers are out of the bag now, this must be a hot topic! :)

The target audience for the new 'Vettes definitely isn't the teenage group though. Think about how many people have jobs that will support that kind of car purchase!

I just hope when I'm "some balding "old" guy" that I'll be able to afford to drive whatever the new version of the Z06 is! I'll probably end up in some old Buick anyhow, but that ain't such a bad thing either. :)

I've driven two vettes in my life. Both were owned by my father. One was a

1978 Silver Anniversary model. That was back when I was just out of high school (late 80's). I felt cool because I was driving around in a 4 spd vette, but my 5.0 Mustang would have embarassed it in a drag race. The other was a 73 Roadster back in 1996. My dad didn't have room in his garage for it, so it stayed in mine. It was cool driving around in a vette convert, but it wasn't really practical except for the Sunday drive in the summer on a sunny day (few and far between in WA).

I would however like that black Z06 down the street. A friend of mine bracket races a 1996. He's running 12.0's with the LT1. It's quick, but for some reason it's not my kind of car.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Just drove my brother's '02 C5 over Christmas (he was down from Atlanta), and it's one helluva car. Rolling at about 15mph in 1st I jammed it down and the rear just broke loose and squealed, and it's not even a Z06. Simply awesome power.

The handling is out of this world, too. Winding in and out of back streets as fast as I could safely go, I couldn't make the car go anywhere near the point of breaking loose.

Anyone who trashes a 'Vette either hasn't driven one or is simply an asshole.

"A Guy Named Steve" wrote in news:qanJb.31804$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Joe

Not even slightly.

Reply to
Mark Jones

"jriegle" wrote in news:lqkJb.583724$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Screw the SSR, I was talking about the 'Vette in the opening scene. Awesome car.

Joe

"SVTKate \(mobile\)" wrote

You know, that's exactly what me and my buddies used to say 35 years ago. Some things never change.

I've got to say, though, that this did not apply to my crowd. Along about '73, '74, '75, when I was late teens, early 20's, I had me a '66 factory big block coupe with a breathed-on '70 402 in it, my buddy Jim had a '67 vert with the 427/390 hp, and Tom had a '66 vert also with a

427/390. All were 4-spds. Mine cost me $1700, and the other two were not worth more than $2500. They were OLD cars, the Rat motors made them gas hogs, and nobody wanted them. The "C3" style had been out for about five years and by this time had moved on to the urethane bumpers, making the chrome-bumper bullet-nosed Sting Rays look like antiques. Like Anthony S. says, I can see the same kind of thing happening with the C5's. Anyway, let me know when the C5's hit $2500. 180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Heh... I did that about three weeks ago in an '01/'02 Porsche 911 Turbo. No breaking loose and no squeeling... just GO! Ahhh... the beauty of 420+ hp and AWD. BTW, the car was on the lot of a buddy of mine's luxury used car dealership. Lots of toys out there.

Reply to
Keith

I think the new Vette and the new Viper share a similar looking front end.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Here's the one I drive by every day:

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

"A Guy Named Steve" wrote in news:LXpJb.16805$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Sweet!

Joe

Yeah, I like those wheels on there, and the only touch of color on the car are the calipers.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

This whole thing has given me an idea for a new thread...

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Very cool, indeed!

One thing I decided when I drove the Porsche is that I'll never own one (not that finances would allow it in the foreseeable future anyway). I couldn't imagine driving a $100K plus car around. Besides, half the fun of owning one is working on it, and those look like a nightmare to play with.

Reply to
Keith

This is why I'm going to sell my 5.0. This horsepower thing is getting stupid. And with insurance costs what they are, there's no doubt about it. These cars have horsepower that will never be used, and looks and style that will be instantly forgotten as soon as the next one comes along. I'll probably use the cash to buy a nice 65-68 coupe and keep it forever (unlike my last one I stupidly sold after 10 years of work).

Brad S

Reply to
Brad

Look here, Corvetters are comparing the new Stang to the C6:

I have to give props to you RAMFMers, there's a lot less slamming of the vette than the vetters of the stang. Funny thing is, the overwhelming majority of the vette guys (2/3 of those polled) think Ford did a better job on the new design than GM did with theirs. :)

Reply to
ih8tspam2

On 3 Jan 2004 02:45:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ih8tspam2) wrote something wonderfully witty:

Seeing as I own one of each, a `95 C-4 and a `01 drop-top, I can easily state that they are two completely different cars with different purposes in my life. I have to agree with your statement that Ford is doing a tad of a bit better styling job with the Mustang then Chevy with the Vette. Based on other versions of model changes the C6 really isn't a full version upgrade. More like C5.1. An even more interesting tidbit is that most didn't even refer to Vettes as their C designation until the C5.

There is a place in the market place for both cars. They sell to two different and distinct portions of the marketplace. The Mustang & Vette historically have never been in competition with each other. That dubious honor belonged to the Camaro which GM continually made worse, not better. When the Camaro and it's stable mate left the market place GM surrendered the Hotrod portion of the market to Ford. They did the same thing when they abandoned the full-size rear wheel sedan market to the Crown Vic.

The Mustang in all it's various configurations is a much better money maker for Ford then the Corvette. Remember there is no sub-20K Vette. A top of the line fully equipped Cobra is still not in the league of a base Corvette. You can pick at individual items to say one is better then the other in certain areas, but as an overall package one is still going to be Americas Sports Car.

-- "Y'know I remember when things were a lot more fun around here When good was good and evil was evil Before things got so fuzzy"

Don Henley, The Garden of Allah

Reply to
ZombyWoof