OT: Nextel users?

Anyone in the NG a Nextel user with nationwide direct connect?

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Yep

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

LOL Yep, I am .... I love direct connect ;-)

"2.3Sleeper" wrote:

Reply to
Donna, aka Diamondz

Now, how cool is that.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Question: Do Nextel users HAVE TO share their conversations with the general public, or is this just for the arrogant stinks who THINK they should? Is it always a walkie-talkie, or can it be used as a regular phone?

dwight (Now with 1,850 rollover minutes)

Reply to
dwight

Our work cell phones are Nextel. They work like a good ol' fashioned cell phone. That's how I use it when I use it.

Steve (30 mins/month - never use them all)

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

LOL Now maybe I'll get to talk to ya once in a while :-P

"2.3Sleeper" wrote:

Reply to
Donna, aka Diamondz

You can actually turn the speaker off so the general public doesn't *have* to hear your walkie talkie conversation ;-)

dwight wrote:

Reply to
Donna, aka Diamondz

I think we took care of that today. Tina was thinkin' SVTKate had one as well.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Yep yep, we sure did take care of that ;-)

"2.3Sleeper" wrote:

Reply to
Donna, aka Diamondz

Ah. So when I'm waiting on line and some butthead is yelling at his cellphone, he's doing it on purpose.

I see.

dwight (ex-Verizon gougee)

Reply to
dwight

I was with Verizon Wireless, paying for every roam, every long distance, every minute over. Jean and I shared 250 minutes/month, and never came close. Princess had her own 250, and routinely went over (to the tune of $100/month).

I set her up with Cingular, and then couldn't wait to switch over, myself.

We drove down to Cape May (NJ, folks), and I made a long distance call while roaming to my wife who was a few blocks away (also roaming). With Verizon, it could have been a $2.00 call. With Cingular, no charge.

And, with the rollover minutes, I don't think twice about using the phone.

Princess, on the other hand, still doesn't get it. She discovered Text Messaging (a stupid way to communicate, if you ask me - even dumber than typing these emails and posts), and that cost her an extra $100 one month. She started with her own 250 min/mo with Cingular, and STILL kept going over. (No skin off my prodigious nose, since she pay her own bill.)

But one thing I do know - Nextel is NOT for young women. Especially the walkie-talkie aspect of it...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

LOL I *love* my walkie talkie ... then again, I'm not exactly "young" either ;-)

dwight wrote:

Reply to
Donna, aka Diamondz

I got my current phone back around 1999. Through the office, they used to offer a $7.95/month plan with 30 minutes. All local stuff. The extra minutes are pretty cheap too. It's an old analog Nokia (252, I think). It works for me unless I leave the area. I turned off the wide area calling once my parents moved out of state.

My wife just signed up with ATT a month or so ago. I was waiting for the right phone to drop down to free so I could join, then merge into a Family National plan. The phone finally went free, but the jumped up the cost for each additional phone by $10. Being that Cingular bought them out, I'm curious to see what happens next.

She used her phone at Whistler, but it was receiving a call from someone who went with us (probably less than 100 feet away as it turned out). I'm curious what that will cost.

I went to a scene today with a bunch of different officers from city(s), county, and federal. They were all walkie-talkieing at the same time (I think to other people, but who knows). The little beeps were going off allover. Since I was on the road, I was carrying our Nextel. I just used mine like a phone though... the weirdo of the bunch.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Our business plan is 59.99 a month. 400 anytime minutes, all incoming calls are free, and unlimited nationwide direct connect.

I think the only person who goes over their minutes is the owner of the company. We also have 6 phones.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Reminds me of that scene from THE SEIGE, when Denzel is giving a briefing while the federal building is bombed. Everyone's cell phone started going off at once.

Except for the mutt in the audience who had his on MUTE, of course...

dwight (always on vibrate...) (( and loving it ))

Reply to
dwight

Actually, as it turned out mine was on mute while I was there. We got it figured out how to get the ringer turned back on. I didn't particularly want to talk to anyone anyhow.

:)

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Reply to
Donna, aka Diamondz

I know...one day you are going to be in the office and I will beep in singing 'Moon River'.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

What sucks is that for the last 5 years all I've wanted is a combo cell phone and PDA, after I saw the first Keyocera. Now everyone has one except Nextel. I'm about to change jobs and will be getting my own phone and after the time I've had my iDen I'm now addicted to the DC.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]