OT: Post Your Final Predictions On New Charger Sales

Yea, the new Charger is OT in the NG, but I think its future sales could have a big impact on the types of muscle cars we'll see in the future. I think if the Charger sells well we could see more inexpensive V8-powered RWD sedans. In other words, buying a mid-size sedan wouldn't have to mean an Accord, Altima, Camry, Intrepid, Taurus, Impala FWD-type car.

What are your thoughts?

And what are your final prediction for the future sales of this new Charger?

a) It'll quickly join the scrap yard with Ford's latest T-bird. b) It'll do okay. Nothing great, but good enough to stick around for a while. c) It'll sell good/great. I think Chrylser is onto something here.

Reply to
NoOption5L

Michael Johnson, PE

Till the price of a gallon of gas hits $3.00. Didn't Chrysler learn from when they introduced the Cordova (With the fine Corinthian leather) in the mid 70's??

Reply to
mustangjoe

70,000 x $30,000 =3D $2,100,000,000. Not too shabby. In this day and age anything that sells a steady 70,000 units per year is more than earning its keep.

The Accord sold 18,643 in its first year (1976).

Sales of a mass-market rwd with massive torque is unpredictable. I thought the snowbelt folks were petrified of rwd, even with a wimpy

2-liter. If the Charger does not remind them of the reasons for that phobia, it should do pretty well. So I choose "C" -- "It'll sell good/great. =A0I think Chrylser is onto something here." I see those ugly 300's all over here on the Coast, and I would never have predicted that. 180 Out
Reply to
one80out

My prediction on future Charger sales: I predict that next week, month, year, century, I STILL will not give a shit how many they sell, what their options are, what their market is, or how much they cost.

How's that?

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

"Cordoba"... & Charger/Magnum.

And, they were just a re-skinned 1971 Charger/Satellite. Shared complete driveline components & geometry, A-pillars, windshields & cowls. Then added the dreaded "Lean-Burn"...

Chrysler was just very slow to adapt at the time... in some areas... as was Ford (1972 Torino became LTD II / Thunderbird / Montego / Cougar through 1979 when re-skinned).

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Oh yes... and the Sport Fury 2 dr, w/ a Road Runner variant...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Are you calculating retail? Chrysler gets a small percentage of that. The dealer gets probably a better percentage. Then there are all of the vendors who supplied the parts that made up those 70,000 cars and the employees who were paid to assemble them. Yes, that adds $2billion to the general economy, but it wouldn't make Chrysler's year.

The line that makes me gag is: "But the four-door revival of the classic muscle car will face stiff competition in the midsize sedan category now ruled by the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry." That's like when Consumer Reports judges a Mustang against the Dodge Stratus, because the Stratus is its closest "competition".

dwight

Reply to
dwight

All I know is it's one ugly MoFo car.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I think it's hideous, and it should sell reasonably well for Chrysler. No, I don't think they'll be going into double shifts to build more than they expected, but they should sell their 70,000 units.

dwight

Reply to
dwight