OT: Well light my fiber

After noticing alot of utility being buried near my neighborhood and many other locations in the surrounding area the past few months, my curiosity went to overflow, so I gave Verizon a buzz. Well damn! We've got fiber optics coming and you know what that means, right? BANDWIDTH, you bet! Verizon calls it FTTP (fiber­to­the­premises) which among other services (not even thought of yet) will provide high speed data with D/Ls up to

5Mbps or 15Mbps (both using up to 2Mbps upstream). They also offer D/Ls up to 30Mbps, w/up to 5Mbps upstream for the rich and insane. This cutting-edge data service should be very cool, wouldn't you say? They will eventially offer video for those who want an alternative to their cable company. I'll stick with my DTV dish for now. From what I've read, there's nine states (maybe more) presently under FTTP deployment. These include certain locations in California, Texas, Florida, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania and here in Virginia. I'm guessing the system here will be operational by summer's end or into the fall season. Anyway, I'm sure a few of you are seeing this underway in your area and thought I'd make mention for those wondering...Stay tuned....

Some info released back in October with details and locations:

Info on pricing:

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Lucky bastard. I still have to use a Morse modem where I am. The tapping drives the cat nuts.

Reply to
CobraJet

Don't feel bad. I'm still using a smoke signal modem too, although cable is available here. But screw them, I'll wait for the fiber.

At least there's warmer weather at your neck of the woods this time of year. Lucky for me, the cat always falls down at my feet, which makes for a big black 18 lb furry foot warmer. Here kitty kitty... Welcome back online Jet

-- Mike

93 Cobra

Reply to
Mike R

18 lbs! What you feeding that cat, Mopar owners?

Thanks.

Reply to
CobraJet

Chebby leftovers. Actually he's getting more meat (protein) and less dry food (carbs) as per the Vets recommendation. You know, the Cat Atkins diet. His weight is slowly coming down. He's a biggin, but I've seen bigger...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Aww, You got the smoke signal modem? Lucky. We can't here in Cali because of the fire hazard. I have to use the flag waving modem. and at night I have this spotlight with a shutter attached. :)~

Reply to
Mark C.

YOU LUCKY BASS TURD! I am sooooooo jealous!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Out here in Tennessee we just tie the message onto the south end of a northbound horse and slap it on the rump and hope that it goes to the right place. A GOOD connection is 46.6. Happens rarely.

Kate

"Mark C." wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... | Aww, You got the smoke signal modem? Lucky. We can't here in Cali because of | the fire hazard. I have to use the flag waving modem. and at night I have | this spotlight with a shutter attached. :)~ | | -- | Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple) | | I r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d | | | | "Mike R" wrote in message | news:svt-cobra-2501052325570001@dialup-4.249.132.37.dial1.washington2.level3.net... | > In article , Number One wrote: | >

| >> In article | >>

| >> 18 lbs! What you feeding that cat, Mopar owners? | >

| > Chebby leftovers. Actually he's getting more meat (protein) and less dry | > food (carbs) as per the Vets recommendation. You know, the Cat Atkins | > diet. His weight is slowly coming down. He's a biggin, but I've seen | > bigger... | >

| > -- | > Mike | > 93 Cobra | >

| >> Thanks. | >>

| >> > > > -- | >> > > > Mike | >> > > > 93 Cobra | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Mike R opined in news:svt-cobra-2501051800550001@dialup-

4.248.217.123.dial1.washington2.level3.net:

Meanwhile, many cable companies dont yet have FTTN (neighborhood) and a lot of phone companies still cant do DSL.

Ten years ago, we were promised -in "Network of the Future" presentations- head to head service offerings between the phone and cable companies and these are just now becoming available.

Ten years is FOREVER in terms of "high tech", but what holds it up is the infrastructure, not the end product capabilities. Voice over IP is a terribly inefficient way to transmit voice but IP is pervasive and the internet backbone has plenty of bandwidth to support it.

The problem is the "last mile", as Mike points out I've been involved with this type technology since the early 80s when my company tested data over cable in knoxville and proposed the first Metro Area Network.

Note that the telco's are fighting a rear-guard defensive against cable technology but even the cable companies are slow in setting up new tech.

And obviously overprice their services... look at Vonage against what your cable service wants to set up Voice over IP!

This is the last chance for phone companies...

  1. they screwed up ISDN because their service guys didnt understand it and couldnt figure out how to set it up.
  2. Baby Bells rewired parts of major cities (like Manhattan) with copper even after fiber became the backbone technology of choice... for budget purposes.
  3. They pushed phone switches that were electronic upgrades of old relay types long after invention of the broadband router and actually used digital voice but tied to those relic technologies.

- Now we're seeing certain cities where you can get wireless broadband through mobile wireless technology, instead of "hotspot"

I see a lot more mergers coming up.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

very nice, decent pricing also. Good to have some more competition out. I like the upstream speeds. We get downstream speeds of 4Mbps but upload is capped at 512Kbps. This is on cable, also costs 39.95

Rein

I was in the CATV industry back in the 90's and saw the Telco's drop the ball several times. Pacbell put up a HFC (hybrid fiber coax) system in Santa Ana Ca. One year later it was removed, what a waste. I guess they realized how high the price is to build a cable system, and in a city such as Santa Ana it's not worth it. My boss always told me that She wished We could just tear out our cable from that place. Too many illegals. Small town cable operators can't afford to upgrade or they are last on the MSO's (multi system operator) list. Such is life. Don't know if CATV would moved to fttp, they're doing ok with fttn (fiber to the node), (not neighborhood) but for the Telco's to run fttp, that may take a long time and some big money. personally I think it's just smoke, but it would be cool if they did it. I went to the Verizon web site that had the fttp announcement and they had some video links of their build out. All that I saw was a construction crew pulling fiber though some conduit, no electronics, nothing. Looked like smoke to me. By the way, I got a message from Comcast yesterday that on the

27th we get a bump-up of our Internet speed. I hope it's the reverse path (download is already 3Mbps)
Reply to
Gill

SBC is doing the same in a few select cities.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

Oh you truely DO suck. AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

I read about this coming up and everyones comment was "yeah right,=20 I'll believe it when I see it." Now I guess the pessimism of the day=20 will be that it's priced out of reach of anyone who can really use it.

--=20

3) If it were My Mustang, I would have yanked the stupid xxxxx out of her beater and beat in her doors with her face. - SVTKate
Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

whats a modem? carrier pigeon here. i type out my message and stick it on a bird who delivers it to someone with $5 and says please type this " message follows" then the damn bird has to wait around for a reply to bring back to me if he makes it back. I have a stock pile of pigions and crap everywhere.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan West