Oy: good news and bad news.

I was looking for a new career as IT jobs down here in Tampa Bay are very hard to come by. I answered this ad last tuesday and got what I asked for, a new career. That was the good news, the bad one is that my new career is selling automotive vehicles. And it gets better, I got hired by a chevy dealer. Wonder what they are gonna say about one of their salesguys driving up in a Mustang no less. Guess I'll be parking on the back 40s. :-)

Wish me luck guys, I need it. Need to bring in all that $$$ so I can go and buy an 05 Mustang.

Reply to
Paul

I doubt they care what the sales guys drive. With the typical attached used car lot there is no way to tell what's inventory and what belongs to the salesmen.

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
billstein

Should be an interesting experience...... getting to look through the other side of the window.... Be prepared for when people snipe at salesmen.... tough for us mechanics, it is...

Good luck in your new avocation.

Jim Warman

Indeed it's hard to find an IT job around here. I thought about taking IT in college, but from everything I hear, I'm better off studying business administration or commerce...

So what dealership is it at ?? Brandon? Is it the Chevy dealer up the road from Brandon ford?

Reply to
RioRedGT

Welll congratulations to ya Paulie Boy!

A Chebby guy huh... well... ya have to pay the bills. It's a damn shame that someone with your knowledge has to change careers just to make a living. I think that the IT field hass fallen on it's face all over the place. Things will recover, but I know you cannot wait for them.

So tell me, if I bought a truck in Florida, and lived in Tennessee... how much hassle would it be?

No No No... not a Chevy (for hubs) but a second hand rose (Ford).

I wish you luck mister, I suspect it will be a tough way to go.

Kate

| > Wish me luck guys, I need it. Need to bring in all that $$$ so I can go | > and buy an 05 Mustang. | >

| > -- | > _ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue) | > |_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA) | > |__| snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.com

| > ----------------------------------------------------------------------- | > A number of handling and styling modifications | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

at 24 Oct 2003, Brent P [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news:Pnlmb.21372$e01.43443@attbi_s02:

True. I'll not drive a demo though. I'm not paying $$$ to drive something like a Cavalier that I have to sell before it hits the max mileage or I be walking. :-)

Reply to
Paul

at 24 Oct 2003, Jim Warman [ snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net] wrote in news:6Flmb.16415$EO3.13386@clgrps13:

I know they will. The old saying 'when a salesperson opens their mouth they are lying' is ingrained in many people's brain. Judging from personal experience, I can't say I blame them at times...

Thank you. I'm well motivated though. They more I sell, the more I earn. The more I earn, the more $$$ I have in 2005 to spend on a new Pony. :-)

Reply to
Paul

at 24 Oct 2003, RioRedGT [ snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.comSPAM] wrote in news:tQmmb.30172$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

I have over 15 years experience and can't find a decent position around Tampa. A friend of mine, a database admin had to move from Orlando to Daytona to find a new job as a DBA. Not much doing around here in the field it seems...

BTW, our training class had two college/University grads. One of them an architect. He could not find a job in his field either.

Nope, not Ferman, the one in Plant City, Bill Heard. They are building a new lot just north of I4, 50 acres big.

Reply to
Paul

at 25 Oct 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:pJtmb.1$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Thank hon,

Yep, gotta pay the bills. But I'm looking into the future. When I've gained enough experience and can show a track record of good sales, I should be able to find a job at most dealerships. Now if I join a Ford dealer in 2005, I can get a Pony at A plan. :-) Yup, I'm looking ahead. True, the IT field is in trouble. Mostly due to the crash of all the dotcoms recently. A flood of IT people washed over the job market so now it is a buyers market. I know in a while it will perk back up, but yeah, I can't wait, need the $$$. I may end up in this field or change back to IT when it picks up. Time will tell. :-)

Should be no hassle. You get the title in Fla, then drive her to tennessee using the temp tag the dealer gives you. After which you retitle her in Tennessee. Double check Tennessee rules though...

Ahhh, I'm sure the Chebby dealer has some used ford trucks on it's lot. Come see me hon. :-)

It probably is but I intend to make the most of it. The training was pretty good, I'll have to see how it stands up in practice though...

Reply to
Paul

Sudden thought, Paul..... here I are, a broken down old man..... 30+ years as a mechanic, grade 8 dropout.... about 3 or 4 times a year I get a phone call asking if I'm "looking around". I churn out a good product (if I have a comeback, I do it free), have a lot of loyal customers and still make a real comfortable living (no, I'm not wealthy.... the only wealthy mechanics are on TV on Sunday). BTW, my 'comfortably' is in a 1200 square foot house.

Worse yet.... a young friend - dropped out in grade 8 as well, I used to give him supreme "what for" about education. He signed on as a roughneck on an oilfield service rig. 20 years later, he manages a service rig and makes enough money to make you barf. Go figure....

Jim Warman

I wish you good luck in your new career. You should be able to make some nice commission. When you do start working for a Ford dealer, I am going to find you so you can give me a good deal on a Stang :) I want to try and sell online through e-bay and see if I can be successful on there. I need to make some extra $$ as well. Who doesn't.

Well I just put my car on autotrader.com about an hour ago. She has to go and I'll be missing her when I look at the empty spot in front of my house...or maybe at the ugly economy car.

Reply to
RioRedGT

at 25 Oct 2003, RioRedGT [ snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.comSPAM] wrote in news:J5Hmb.39491$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

I bet you are. Also don't bet finding me at Brandon Ford. Unless they change their sales system. :-) I tried eBay, you can make a living on it. But it's a lot of work. The 'go to estate auctions and yardsales' buy cheap and sell for a bundle on eBay works. But unfortunetely not all the time and you need to have the 'nose'...

Oh man, I sympathise with you. Went to the Bradenton track today for club strip day. Guess my $1800 replacement engine and SPEC stage 1 clutch paid off, she went from 18.3 to 17.0180. Not bad for a 155HP car. Does not compare to a Roush doing it in 13.4. Even in the passenger seat that is quite a ride...

Reply to
Paul

Paul wrote

Just don't make the mistake that people buy with their brains. As one with a few years experience in retail sales, I hold my tongue when folks in this NG -- and just about everywhere else -- rail at this or that despised sales tactic. When I was in sales I always treated people with respect, answered all their thoughtful questions, and believed that "no" means "no." I was consistently the worst producer in every outfit I ever worked for!

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

OK, here's the advice I give all new car salespeople (having been one once myself).

  1. Do not learn the job. You do not need your brain for this job. If you use your brain you will fail. If what the customer tells you starts to make sense, you're doomed. Just make the customers fall in love with the cars and do what your manager tells you to do. Say what he says, in the same way he says it. You'll sell a lot of cars.
  2. If there's hot food available, eat it. Otherwise, sure as heck the food will arrive just in time for you to not get any and you'll be eating 6-hour old cold food (if there's any left).
  3. Be nice to the customers. Smile a lot. Learn and use the customer's name.

  1. Do not pre-judge anyone. Talk to every customer (if your up system allows it).

  2. ABC - Always Be Closing. The Be-Back bus doesn't run by wherever you are.
Reply to
Yen

Good luck as well. In case you haven't read this writeup, it makes for some interesting reading. :)

"Confessions of a Car Salesman"

ih8tspam2

at 29 Oct 2003, ih8tspam2 [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Highly interesting. With many of the terms and some of the ways being in use at the place I work. Guess I'll find out friday if the sales meeting is similar to the story as well. :-)

Thanks for this link.

Reply to
Paul

Interesting, yes..... but a lot like looking at a mural through a toilet paper tube. After sales service is a big deal. We can be relatively sure that a dealer with little or no mark-up is in a poor position to offer premium service when problems arise. Unfortunately, paying a higher price has no guaranty that we will receive premium after sales service.

Jim Warman